• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

They're Not Like Us - Eric Stephenson and Simon Gane

43 posts in this topic

I would be willing to make a $100 wager to the charity of your choice that this book will have a significant delay(90 days or more) before it makes it to issue #8
I've always been of the opinion that a GOOD comic cannot be done on a steady monthly schedule.

I think we have collectively had our expectations lowered because of the inundation of books. John Byrne, Chris Claremont, Jim Starlin, constantly put out very well written(and drawn in Byrne's case) on a month to month schedule.

It was a different time as well. Stronger editorial mandates and schedules. (Jim Shooter) Today I think its the Wild West. Especially if its not Marvel or DC.

Think about it as an independent publisher how much pressure can they put on the creators?

Heck even JMS got away with it with Marvel when he was doing the Twelve.

You all realize that the failure of Nowhere Men had everything to do with Nate and absolutely nothing to do with Eric, right...?!?!?

Keep beating the dead horse as long as you like, but ...it's really not relevant to this book.

This.

Although some of the snark is pretty funny, I actually hold ES in higher esteem for not tossing NB under the bus.

I would be willing to make a $100 wager to the charity of your choice that this book will have a significant delay(90 days or more) before it makes it to issue #8
I've always been of the opinion that a GOOD comic cannot be done on a steady monthly schedule.

I think we have collectively had our expectations lowered because of the inundation of books. John Byrne, Chris Claremont, Jim Starlin, constantly put out very well written(and drawn in Byrne's case) on a month to month schedule.

In my opinion they haven't. Not compared to actual good comics. Maybe compared to their monthly studio mill contemporaries.

It was a different time as well. Stronger editorial mandates and schedules. (Jim Shooter) Today I think its the Wild West. Especially if its not Marvel or DC.

Think about it as an independent publisher how much pressure can they put on the creators?

Heck even JMS got away with it with Marvel when he was doing the Twelve.

Even back in the 1980's Gary Groth would answer fan letters complaining about schedules by saying he doesn't publish a comic if it isn't great. It's done when it's done and in the long run he'd rather the comics be remembered as a high point in the medium than be remembered as comics that came out on time. Compare those early Love And Rockets to any monthly comic on the stands, from any era, and you'll see what he's talking about.

I could do without the "here's the team, and let me assign them personalities" page. Show, don't tell.

Agreed. That was a blunt instrument and stuck out like a sore thumb.

Overall I was a little disappointed especially as I was expecting something akin to his previous book, Nowhere Men, both in terms of story and stylistically especially with Fonographics working on the book again. After reading I was left pondering his contribution and whilst I understand this is a different beast, without those little embellishments the book felt a little flat for me.

Agree with the other views that this book feels like a modern take on the original X-Men but is that enough? Especially with all the other great titles vying for attention, but I'll stick with it for the first arc just to see what happens.

Finally read #1....eh. Not for me, seemed extremely uninspired. Way too much Xmen/Deadly Class going on for me, just not even remotely original. I expected more from Eric because I loved Nowhere Men so much, but this was a turd. I'll flip through #2 ONLY because of the very last panel in #1 lol

I have #1, but have yet to read it yet. So many piling up in the "To Read" pile. Image has some great books, but so many #1's in 2014.. Hopefully 2015 is full of better stories with existing titles and less #1's

Haha, this sounds like my reading stack....

I guess Image believes in this book..there were zero ads.

It's good to be the king...err...publisher. lol

Seriously though, it's an interesting book so far with a lot of potential.

Anyone still reading? I thought 3 was just OK. I'd give it 3 maybe 3.5 out of 5. May I please have more Nowhere Men?

I actually thought issue #3 was the best yet. I love where this book is going [where I think it is going anyhow]

After the NWM let down, I don't want to get too hooked even though from what we understand, the NWM issue was not ES`s fault