• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your top three 2014 superhero/sci-fi movies!

50 posts in this topic

- Guardians of the Galaxy and Captain America : The Winter Soldier in joint 1st place.

- Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

I haven't seen X-Men : Days of Future Past or Interstellar yet.

I'm gonna say this is my list of most influential sy-fy/funnybook movies too.

3. CA: The Winter Soldier.

Echoed paranoid 70's movies like The Conversation, All The President's Men, Marathon Man with a modern spin on terrorism. I wasn't expecting something as cerebral after the old-fashioned original and The Avengers, so I was totally surprised.

2: Guardians of the Galaxy

Another retro 70's homage (the music, omg!) to the space western with so much heart and emotion. I couldn't believe that I felt so much joy when the whole crew was in the cockpit at the end of the movie.

OK, this will get me into trouble, but...

Frozen.

This one is a game changer for young people with special abilities. Granted, Iron Man 3 had a similiar gross, but this phenomenon continues to explode in merchandising. I think this is where movies like this (people with unstable powers) will be heading down the road.

Me, I loved it. Like Guardians, it was another movie where character's emotions dominated and connected with audiences. I have never seen so many wee ones dressed up as Elsas and Annas (cloaks and mittens during August) in Walmarts and Malls. I remember going around places when I was seven with a red tee and cape under my plaid shirt, like Ralph from Greatest American Hero. It's the same thing.

Oh, and all three are Disney movies. ;)

I didn't think it was a stellar year overall, but 1stood out for me. 2 I give a good attempt.

Cap Winter Soldier

It was brilliant from start to finish. They setup several good Cap movies in the future. I didn't see many mistakes overall.

Interstellar

I love the concept, but the director just overreached on a concept he could have made much easier to communicate to audiences. He just went over everyone's head and on the way messed up some simple things.

X-men Days of the Future Past

I thought was a good effort, but the material I thought was just too much to do in one movie. It should have been two movies I think to really do it well. It was disappointing overall to me who grew up with that storyline. It had some nice touches overall, but I think they made a mistake in making the sentinels practically invincible. I applaud the attempt, but it just shows you have awesome the source material was that in this day and time we still cant live up to it.