• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,103 posts in this topic

On 9/4/2021 at 9:08 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Just for fun, here's a quick and dirty census report on ASM #11 vs. #12:

• 9.8:  0 for #11 vs. 4 for #12
  • 9.6:  7 vs. 8
  • 9.4:  9 vs. 26
  • 9.2:  8 vs. 30
  • 9.0:  18 vs. 49
  • 8.5:  36 vs. 77
  • 8.0:  58 vs. 110
  • 7.5:  94 vs. 117
  • 7.0:  112 vs. 109
  • 6.5:  118 vs. 139
  • 6.0:  119 vs. 121
  • 5.5:  98 vs. 83
  • 5.0:  108 vs. 112

So, a very significant difference in supply (2x-4x) for all grades between 8.0 and 9.4.

I would think that people with higher grade raw copies may now be tempted to grade them so it will be interesting to see the census next year (I would say in a few months but with the CGC backlog it will take 8-12 months for freshly graded copies to turn up)

On 9/4/2021 at 8:53 PM, jimjum12 said:

Please don't hate me for saying this, but I don't understand the thinking behind, say ASM 28 (*or 11) being a higher price in all grades, when the reason is that it's scarce in HIGHER grades. Anything below, say, 8.0 , should be the same as the others. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I remember when the guide didn't differentiate much between 28 and surrounding issues but did notate that 28 was scarce in grade. Then the prices just kept creeping up until the first Molten Man was worth more than the first Scorpion. It didn't make sense to me. That's approximate memory so the prices may not exactly make that work, but the increases didn't make sense for the reason given.

On 9/4/2021 at 9:23 PM, PeterPark said:

I remember when the guide didn't differentiate much between 28 and surrounding issues but did notate that 28 was scarce in grade. Then the prices just kept creeping up until the first Molten Man was worth more than the first Scorpion. It didn't make sense to me. That's approximate memory so the prices may not exactly make that work, but the increases didn't make sense for the reason given.

I was raising this question a couple of years ago, as I put together my run, noting that the price I paid for my #28 exceeded the price I had to pay for any other 9.4 from #6 up, and that includes #14.  It made no sense to me at the time, but that black cover seems to be the reason.

By the way, and slightly off-topic since these are Bronze Age books ... don't look now but Marvel Spotlight #5 has far surpassed Hulk #181 in price over the past several months.  Again, the black cover must be one reason -- though I suspect another reason is the sheer supply of graded Hulk #181s.  Maybe more people will get their Marvel Spotlight #5s graded now that it's such a red hot book, but I suspect the book will remain significantly harder to find in high grade.

On 9/1/2021 at 2:44 PM, alexgross.com said:
On 8/31/2021 at 6:32 PM, Wolverinex said:

unfortunately no one watches that show. the batwoman comics were pretty cool when jh williams was doing them. but the show has been a flop. i'm sure ivy will do better when she appears in one of the batman live action films again.

Agreed, and I would also point out that Bats #181 has seen a nice run up over the past year and a bit already. The SA Batman keys have posted nice gains since they started moving in mid to late 2019. The question now is whether they will keep running or start to plateau. I keep buying them when I can for reasonable prices.

Edited by kimik

On 9/4/2021 at 10:28 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:
On 9/4/2021 at 7:23 PM, PeterPark said:

I was raising this question a couple of years ago, as I put together my run, noting that the price I paid for my #28 exceeded the price I had to pay for any other 9.4 from #6 up, and that includes #14.  It made no sense to me at the time, but that black cover seems to be the reason.

I am curious to see what happens with ASM #28 when a MCU or D+ appearance of the Molten Man finally happens. It has started to move up a bit on early spec in low to mid grades. Now is probably a good time to lock in copies if you do not already have one.

On 9/5/2021 at 12:02 AM, kimik said:

I am curious to see what happens with ASM #28 when a MCU or D+ appearance of the Molten Man finally happens. It has started to move up a bit on early spec in low to mid grades. Now is probably a good time to lock in copies if you do not already have one.

It would probably get a little bump, but I don’t think the price associated with ASM 28 has very much to do with the Molten Man character, even though it’s his first appearance. 

Unless - his first MCU/Disney+ appearance was just crazy well done.

That black cover is just so cool.

On 9/5/2021 at 8:38 AM, HighVoltage said:

It would probably get a little bump, but I don’t think the price associated with ASM 28 has very much to do with the Molten Man character, even though it’s his first appearance. 

Unless - his first MCU/Disney+ appearance was just crazy well done.

That black cover is just so cool.

i agree the cover is awesome and hard to find in clean shape, but every early ditko villain first appearance book has received a significant price increase when movies featured them. see electro and mysterio for example, and kraven for a show that hasnt been released yet. i agree with @kimikthat if MM appears in a marvel film, the book will get a big bump. 

I remember in about 2004 when I thought it would be fun to buy and hold some 'scarce in HG Marvel issues' in my collection, a fantasy that quickly collapsed when I had to sell said books for actual keys. 

BUT -- I did own a JIM #84 in 9.0, an FF #11 in 9.2, and an ASM #11 in 9.4.  All are long gone, but it was fun for about a year or so.  

So, basically I'm adding nothing to the conversation but confirming that ASM #11 in HG was a tough find.

Dan

BB28 in 8.0 C/OW sold for $22.8K on H today.  So few high-mid and high grades come up for sale, but this was very strong for last couple of years (but just matching all-time highs of several years ago).  Might be getting its mojo back!     

Edited by Pantodude

I would think that ASM 31 will continue to propel upwards, I have been buying multiples of that issue in high grade for many years and am glad to see it finally get the love it deserves.

Astounding sale of the 9.8 today $96k and. 9.4 $10,200

Cha ching!

Edited by UncleBEN

On 9/9/2021 at 10:53 PM, UncleBEN said:

I would think that ASM 31 will continue to propel upwards, I have been buying multiples of that issue in high grade for many years and am glad to see it finally get the love it deserves.

Astounding sale of the 9.8 today $96k and. 9.4 $10,200

Cha ching!

Agree. It has been overlooked for years, which is amazing since it introduces more than 1 key character into the ASM universe.

On 9/10/2021 at 2:25 PM, jeffreyk said:

A Sgt Fury in CGC 8.5 sold last night for $31,200 on Heritage.  Has this book skyrocketed as well?

On 9/10/2021 at 3:37 PM, HighVoltage said:

WhatTheWhaaaaaaa...!!!!!!!!?!?

I had just snagged a 7.0 for $5,500 the week before, and I was thinking of trying to pull off an insta-upgrade, but no way at that price.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

Did anyone take note of Daredevil 7 9.0 in the Heritage auction yesterday???  It went for $8400!!!! :whatthe:

The last one sold for $2250 11 months ago.

An 8.5 went for $1650 a week ago.  Whoever bought that 8.5 must feel pretty good right now.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/daredevil-7-marvel-1965-cgc-vf-nm-90-white-pages/a/7246-96585.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116