• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,103 posts in this topic

On 2/22/2022 at 7:17 PM, MGsimba77 said:

FF46 9.2 just had a blowout auction on HA Sunday night somewhere around 3700. Some other stuff I was tracking was on high side but nothing way out like that. Unless something happened recently on Clink that's more than double recent GPA FMV. 

Doggone it - this book in this grade was on HGC a month ago @ $2000 and I dithered around long enough that it sold "out from under me."

On 3/3/2022 at 9:22 PM, Pantodude said:

Star Trek 1 (Gold Key) has been hot.  Since the 9.2 went for $10500 in November, the 9.4 fetched $13800 in January and just now $16500 on CL, or >20% increase in 6 weeks.  And of course the early Spideys. 

I was interested in that Star Trek book but clearly had no idea what I was getting into.  I saw it cross the $10K mark and ran away.  I don't like stock photos of Shatner and Nimoy THAT much.

I find myself obsessively hunting for a mid-grade JIM 85. It looks like it will take all of $6k for a 5.0. Is that a crazy purchase to any of you? I’d like to think that it goes up, long term, but just really like this key so would be happy owning it. Needing a sanity check here. 
Edit: Forgot to mention — Mine was Susan Anton. The Farah Fawcett poster is legendary too though.  

Edited by GrasshopperFF

On 3/5/2022 at 8:49 AM, GrasshopperFF said:

I find myself obsessively hunting for a mid-grade JIM 85. It looks like it will take all of $6k for a 5.0. Is that a crazy purchase to any of you? I’d like to think that it goes up, long term, but just really like this key so would be happy owning it. Needing a sanity check here. 
Edit: Forgot to mention — Mine was Susan Anton. The Farah Fawcett poster is legendary too though.  

It's a great book and I have no reason to believe it won't go up long term. 

I always say to people, buy a book you'll love to own. If the price drops by 50% you'll still be happy to have it. And with enough time, it should recover and continue to rise. 

On 3/5/2022 at 11:40 AM, supapimp said:

Considering how much JIM85 has jumped the last two years. Yes. But just buy what you like and it doesn’t matter

So, it’s a “yes, you are a bit insane to do this”.  Got it! I’m so on the fence. Will let y’all know if I pull the trigger. 

Here's a couple of things to consider.  Is spending $5000 on this book going to cause you any hardship?  If so, do you have something else you could sell to help defray the cost?  If not, I don't see how you can go wrong.  As noted above, who cares if the book declines in price - in the long run we're all dead anyway.  I'd also say to buy the highest grade/"best" book you can possibly afford.  For that kind of money, I'd be picky about finding the nicest 5.0 I could rather than just jumping on one that meets the grade.