• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,103 posts in this topic

On 3/5/2022 at 12:55 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Here's a couple of things to consider.  Is spending $5000 on this book going to cause you any hardship?  If so, do you have something else you could sell to help defray the cost?  If not, I don't see how you can go wrong.  As noted above, who cares if the book declines in price - in the long run we're all dead anyway.  I'd also say to buy the highest grade/"best" book you can possibly afford.  For that kind of money, I'd be picky about finding the nicest 5.0 I could rather than just jumping on one that meets the grade.

Great advice. I definitely wouldn’t swing at something if it would cause hardship. Over the last month I’ve likely only confused/angered my wife! My best get is a Hulk 181 7.5 white pages. Close second is a FF 48 7.0. Others purchased that I like a lot, even in some higher grades, but not as pricey as those 2. The last 2 I want (famous last words?) are JIM 85 in highest grade (like the advice to be picky within each grade — learning about the in-grade variable, like “white pages”, etc) and a high grade FF 52. Hulk, Silver Surfer, Loki, Black Panther  and Doctor Strange (higher grade DS 169 not as pricey). Then I’m done. And hopefully my wife gets over the indulgence. 

On 3/5/2022 at 11:41 AM, GrasshopperFF said:

Great advice. I definitely wouldn’t swing at something if it would cause hardship. Over the last month I’ve likely only confused/angered my wife! My best get is a Hulk 181 7.5 white pages. Close second is a FF 48 7.0. Others purchased that I like a lot, even in some higher grades, but not as pricey as those 2. The last 2 I want (famous last words?) are JIM 85 in highest grade (like the advice to be picky within each grade — learning about the in-grade variable, like “white pages”, etc) and a high grade FF 52. Hulk, Silver Surfer, Loki, Black Panther  and Doctor Strange (higher grade DS 169 not as pricey). Then I’m done. And hopefully my wife gets over the indulgence. 

Nice list, fortunate for you there are not any early ASM'S in it , I would go for the FF 52 :) 

On 3/5/2022 at 4:33 PM, UncleBEN said:

Nice list, fortunate for you there are not any early ASM'S in it , I would go for the FF 52 :) 

Is there hate on this board for ASM? Are those books so exceedingly high that they should be avoided? Ive got to admit that, in all my recent passion for collecting, I have not found myself wanting a Spider-Man book.  

On 3/5/2022 at 6:33 PM, GrasshopperFF said:

Is there hate on this board for ASM? Are those books so exceedingly high that they should be avoided? Ive got to admit that, in all my recent passion for collecting, I have not found myself wanting a Spider-Man book.  

no, there is no hate for spiderman. in fact, the complete opposite

The reasoning that you're " fortunate", is if spiderman books where in your list. youd be looking at spending a heck of lot more, as all spiderman keys have an arrow straight up.

Edited by GAMBIT

On 3/5/2022 at 6:33 PM, GrasshopperFF said:

I don't think there has been any hate at all for ASM.  To the contrary, folks are just saying that early Spideys (particulary in grade 9.0+) have been too hot recently.  But I have noticed that the records have been in the higher grades (9.0+), with low- to mid-grades showing weakness the past few months for some issues.  So if  you are in the market for a low- to mid-grade early ASM book, now appears to be a good time, that is until they start rising to catch up to the new "normal" values in higher grades.  

Edited by Pantodude

As you hunt for the right copy to spend thousand of dollars on, what comic book flaws are most problematic? If it is a 7.0 grade then isn’t it the same as the next 7.0 grade? I’m certain the answer is “no”, but I need time to learn about such pros and cons. The below article was helpful. Curious if others care to comment about this issue. https://artfulinvestments.com/comic-book-grading/

On 3/5/2022 at 3:33 PM, GrasshopperFF said:

It just takes one :)  But with the current trajectory of high grade early ASM they might not be suited for a limited budget. 

Warranted or not, I always look at the census numbers before spending a boatload of money. I would have to be getting a super deal if I was going to be spending a boatload of cash on a very common book. (Hulk 181, ASM 300, etc)

On 3/5/2022 at 9:31 PM, GrasshopperFF said:

As you hunt for the right copy to spend thousand of dollars on, what comic book flaws are most problematic? If it is a 7.0 grade then isn’t it the same as the next 7.0 grade? I’m certain the answer is “no”, but I need time to learn about such pros and cons. The below article was helpful. Curious if others care to comment about this issue. https://artfulinvestments.com/comic-book-grading/

It’s all personal preference, the same technical grade can have vastly varying degrees of eye appeal. For example a 7.0, would you prefer a big 1 inch visible crease vs an accumulation of tiny spine ticks? Or a barely visible stain on the back cover vs a tear on the inside?…

On 3/6/2022 at 6:22 AM, Gaard said:

Warranted or not, I always look at the census numbers before spending a boatload of money. I would have to be getting a super deal if I was going to be spending a boatload of cash on a very common book. (Hulk 181, ASM 300, etc)

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly. The deal I got on the Hulk 181 7.5 wasn’t anything great, but I wanted that grail no matter the census population. JIM 85 is so very attractive for the rarity reason. 

On 3/6/2022 at 8:21 AM, ThothAmon said:

This post reminded me of the strangest eBay listing I’ve seen in a long time. Tempted. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185314185589

Once I saw what was in it, I knew it couldn't last...the madhouse alone made it worth it...throw in keys beyond that and the fact they're untrimmed? Wow...

As for the Wonder Woman...

I know absolutely nothing about bound comics ... how they're bound, where you get it done, are there comics that are not bound-possible, etc. One thing that I've always wondered, however, is can they be unbound?

On 3/6/2022 at 8:11 AM, Gaard said:

I know absolutely nothing about bound comics ... how they're bound, where you get it done, are there comics that are not bound-possible, etc. One thing that I've always wondered, however, is can they be unbound?

all the staples were removed and the all the books trimmed to be loose pages to form one brick and then oversewn binding into signatures and then that sewn together. Often the outside edge is trimmed too to make them even, but all these books are now technically poor condition, no staples, loose pages. There's no point in trying to undo it.  

Edited by MyNameIsLegion

On 3/6/2022 at 1:43 PM, kagemusha7s said:

$30k seems like a lot, but there is a coolness factor to me. Others also not moved to pay that much — I’m guessing the seller received SOME offers though. Curious to know too. 

On 3/6/2022 at 1:54 PM, GrasshopperFF said:

$30k seems like a lot, but there is a coolness factor to me. Others also not moved to pay that much — I’m guessing the seller received SOME offers though. Curious to know too. 

Sold for about $8K back in 2008. I coulda sworn I saw it on HA more recently than that though (~4yrs ago is my guess)...because I recall contemplating placing a bid. It did not have Joe Sinnott's sig last time I saw it, just Jack's...

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/fantastic-four-1-9-bound-volume-marvel-1961-62-/a/828-43316.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-071515&tab=ArchiveSearchResults-012417