• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,101 posts in this topic

On 1/20/2022 at 10:00 PM, UncleBEN said:

JIM 83 and TOS 39 continue on an aggressive trajectory.

Last year I picked up a 9.0 and a 9.2 respectively for a fraction of these prices, JIM 83 7.5's are a a 60k book now?  

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/history.asp?item=1534516

And last I was watching the TOS 39 8.5 was 80k ish, not sure where it ended.

Its going to be an interesting year ..............

I’m new to this board and trying to make sense of the obscene upward trajectory.  What Silver Age Marvel work of art do I take a run at??? I have my preferences and boxes to check but these moving prices are insane. What would you informed folks do with $5k, in this space, right now???

May I please have my post reviewed by a moderator? How does this work??

Edit: sorry for the confusion.  A moderator needed to review my first post (above) because I just joined and it is a policy, it seems. 

Edited by jeff signor
Clarification of post

On 2/10/2022 at 8:16 PM, jeff signor said:

I’m new to this board and trying to make sense of the obscene upward trajectory.  What Silver Age Marvel work of art do I take a run at??? I have my preferences and boxes to check but these moving prices are insane. What would you informed folks do with $5k, in this space, right now???

Unfortunately 5k doesn’t get you much in terms of quality SA Marvel keys anymore… maybe a mid to low grade B level key?… like a ST 110 and even that is inching towards unattainability… I'm still bullish on JIM annual 1 which is probably the last SA Marvel key with very little hype. 

On 2/10/2022 at 8:16 PM, jeff signor said:

And welcome to the Boards! 

On 2/10/2022 at 9:52 PM, dikran1 said:

Unfortunately 5k doesn’t get you much in terms of quality SA Marvel keys anymore… maybe a mid to low grade B level key?… like a ST 110 and even that is inching towards unattainability… I'm still bullish on JIM annual 1 which is probably the last SA Marvel key with very little hype. 

I like Tales of Suspense 49:

1st solo Watcher

3rd appearance of the X-Men

On 2/10/2022 at 9:53 PM, dikran1 said:

And welcome to the Boards! 

Thanks, Dikran1! I felt like a little kid yesterday trying to get my arms around what to invest in. I understand, now, the sensitivities that come w/ a term like “investment funds”. A comic board on Reddit even banned me because I asked about what folks liked as investments today. So, I’ve slowed down and started watching YouTube posts about Fantastic Four, Galactica and Silver Surfer in particular. As you aptly surmised: The budget will need to increase if I’m to take some meaningful swings at this market! 

Is it taboo for me to start a new thread? I’d like to engage this group more with this newfound passion for Silver Age comics. A sponge of knowledge — like the grasshopper to Mr Miyagi (figured out how to change my public name… Looking forward to learning more!

Edited by jeff signor

On 2/11/2022 at 1:23 PM, GrasshopperFF said:

Thanks, Dikran1! I felt like a little kid yesterday trying to get my arms around what to invest in. I understand, now, the sensitivities that come w/ a term like “investment funds”. A comic board on Reddit even banned me because I asked about what folks liked as investments today. So, I’ve slowed down and started watching YouTube posts about Fantastic Four, Galactica and Silver Surfer in particular. As you aptly surmised: The budget will need to increase if I’m to take some meaningful swings at this market! 

Is it taboo for me to start a new thread? I’d like to engage this group more with this newfound passion for Silver Age comics. A sponge of knowledge — like the grasshopper to Mr Miyagi (figured out how to change my public name… Looking forward to learning more!

Looks like you're a fan of the FF, lots of good comics in the 1-100 run. FF48-49 would be an obvious pick, high demand but also high volume. Doom and Namor books are really moving. Warlock, Inhumans, Ronan, Agatha Harkness, tons of crossover stories. Definitely a good place to start looking for investable stuff.

On 2/11/2022 at 10:23 AM, GrasshopperFF said:

welcome to the boards. it's not taboo to start a thread, but i would encourage you to first spend a lot of time perusing all the existing threads. often new board members, and even old time ones, start threads discussing things that are already covered at length in another thread that may be buried on page 2, 5 or 20 of a section. 'i've got x amount to spend, what should i buy?' is one subject that many people have made threads about, among many other investment related threads. 

On 2/11/2022 at 4:26 PM, dikran1 said:

The ''anthology'' titles (TTA, TOS, JIM, ST) are also a good place to mine for lesser known keys and early appearances. Lotta good (and not so good) villains in those titles.

Yes! I’ve dabbled in JIM and was surprised at the earlier (more rare) stuff there. Mighty Thor has a good presence. As I see where the market is moving I am surprised some of the rare stuff moves but at a slower pace. I like the older, more rare and still attainable stuff (so far). HOWEVER: JIM 83, which looks entirely awesome in all respects, takes $5k for a .5 grade. Gulp. 

Edited by GrasshopperFF

On 2/11/2022 at 4:44 PM, GrasshopperFF said:

Yes! I’ve dabbled in JIM and was surprised at the earlier (more rare) stuff there. Mighty Thor has a good presence. As I see where the market is moving I am surprised some of the rare stuff moves but at a slower pace. I like the older, more rare and still attainable stuff (so far).

JIM 85 has a lot of growing to do to reach his older brother.  With Loki's status as a hero in the MCU, it's very investable, despite the growth of the last 2 years. 5k could get you a nice 5.0ish now that the character is out of the YouTube hype machine.

On 2/11/2022 at 4:58 PM, dikran1 said:

JIM 85 has a lot of growing to do to reach his older brother.  With Loki's status as a hero in the MCU, it's very investable, despite the growth of the last 2 years. 5k could get you a nice 5.0ish now that the character is out of the YouTube hype machine.

True story right here: I took my son, Chase, to his golf lessons while watching a YouTube focused on FF keys (he was holding the phone). Chase really likes Black Panther and FF 52 was being reviewed w/ favor. It’s now on my list! Now to my point: 10 minutes ago I spoke w/ my eldest daughter, Tessa, and she is a big Loki fan: Thanks to your post JIM 85 is now on my list too! I’ve joined GoCollect and find myself tooling through a Key Collector app, but your post was timely! 

Either the budget for this effort will increase or I’ll settle for the lower grades. I’m not ready to pull triggers just yet as confidence is not yet there. Getting there though. 

On 2/11/2022 at 5:16 PM, GrasshopperFF said:

True story right here: I took my son, Chase, to his golf lessons while watching a YouTube focused on FF keys (he was holding the phone). Chase really likes Black Panther and FF 52 was being reviewed w/ favor. It’s now on my list! Now to my point: 10 minutes ago I spoke w/ my eldest daughter, Tessa, and she is a big Loki fan: Thanks to your post JIM 85 is now on my list too! I’ve joined GoCollect and find myself tooling through a Key Collector app, but your post was timely! 

Either the budget for this effort will increase or I’ll settle for the lower grades. I’m not ready to pull triggers just yet as confidence is not yet there. Getting there though. 

doh! »Forgot all about FF52 :roflmao:

On 2/11/2022 at 2:16 PM, GrasshopperFF said:

I never should have let my other copies go. I'm down to one left.

On 2/12/2022 at 6:16 AM, GrasshopperFF said:

Yes I also justify my high spending on comics on my kids. And my kids are 3 and 1. hahaha

On 2/11/2022 at 2:58 PM, dikran1 said:

JIM 85 is a mega key and has lagged behind other SA books.  Maybe the only Marvel SA book you can say that about.  

On 2/13/2022 at 9:01 PM, GrasshopperFF said:

Agree! Dr Strange 169 should also move. My first weekend w/ this newfound passion landed a 7 grade FF 48. Silver Surfer has become my favorite. Strange a close second. Black Panther and Loki in that order. I blame my kids! But enjoying the ride. 

Welcome to the Boards!

On 2/13/2022 at 9:09 PM, PeterPark said:

Welcome to the Boards!

Thanks, PeterPark! In all my excitement about the big purchase I forgot to mention the Tales to Astonish 93, 7.5 grade. Also looking at the newer artwork surfer stuff by Dell’Otto. The surfer cuts a cool image! eBay. I’m in on some of the Heritage bidding this weekend but surprised about the 20% buyer’s premium. Do y’all like any comic sellers you care to share?