• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,103 posts in this topic

Have you all seen the major, high-grade keys in the Heritage and ComicLink auctions?? There are some beautiful books! Heavy hitters across the board, but Silver Age in particular. Anyone with negative/positive experiences with either auction house? I recently paid Heritage a pretty excessive buyer’s premium, which felt a little dirty. ComicLink does not appear to expose buyers to that. I think I read about a negative experience with ComicLink??  Thoughts welcome!

On 3/18/2022 at 2:27 PM, GrasshopperFF said:

Have you all seen the major, high-grade keys in the Heritage and ComicLink auctions?? There are some beautiful books! Heavy hitters across the board, but Silver Age in particular. Anyone with negative/positive experiences with either auction house? I recently paid Heritage a pretty excessive buyer’s premium, which felt a little dirty. ComicLink does not appear to expose buyers to that. I think I read about a negative experience with ComicLink??  Thoughts welcome!

both of them have completely opaque bidding, so you can't really be sure that the house is not bidding against you. but only heritage has actually been sued by a former employee alleging that they do this exact thing. (settled out of court) 

i recommend never pre-bidding on either site, but especially on heritage, to at least avoid this as best you can. if you can bid in the live session, then at least you may be less likely to feel inclined to increase your max bid should you be outbid. comiclink does not add time, so it ends when it ends. if you bid right before the end, there is no chance to up your max later, unlike heritage. i like the fact that it ends when it ends with comiclink. it prevents you from making angry, escalating bids at the end for more than you should, if you are being consistently outbid. 

both of them consistently have some of the most amazing books around, as far as auction sites go. and both are totally professional regarding shipping, etc. i buy from both, despite my concerns. and i have sold with both, too. 

On 3/18/2022 at 2:27 PM, GrasshopperFF said:

I agree with alex in general.  I've used ComicLink exclusively - the thing I like about it is that if you're the high bidder when the clock runs out, you win the auction.  There's no extended bidding, no live auction continuation.  I've picked up probably 20 slabbed books there in the last year (mostly auction, but also a couple through their "Exchange") and never had a problem.

On 3/18/2022 at 5:55 PM, alexgross.com said:

both of them have completely opaque bidding, so you can't really be sure that the house is not bidding against you. but only heritage has actually been sued by a former employee alleging that they do this exact thing. (settled out of court) 

i recommend never pre-bidding on either site, but especially on heritage, to at least avoid this as best you can. if you can bid in the live session, then at least you may be less likely to feel inclined to increase your max bid should you be outbid. comiclink does not add time, so it ends when it ends. if you bid right before the end, there is no chance to up your max later, unlike heritage. i like the fact that it ends when it ends with comiclink. it prevents you from making angry, escalating bids at the end for more than you should, if you are being consistently outbid. 

both of them consistently have some of the most amazing books around, as far as auction sites go. and both are totally professional regarding shipping, etc. i buy from both, despite my concerns. and i have sold with both, too. 

Thanks, Alex! Very helpful. 

true, but with a fixed ending time, the greater danger to being caught in an extended one-upmanship battle against another bidder is to place a large enough last second bid in order to survive any reasonable last second bid from someone else.  What often happens is you pick too high a number so you have a better chance of outlasting the other guy, and win.  But the the other bidder can also play the same game of chicken and pick a number just under yours by using the same logic, then you end up not only winning it, but winning it paying way more than you wanted to.  

like say the high bid is 250 and you really want it somewhere between 400 and 700.  If its "worth" 700 you think if you bid 700, someone else will too, or 720 and win.  So you snipe with 900 or 1000.  (and if its a really interesting book you might just say the hell with it and go with 2200!  In these cases you may get matched up against a bidder at 950, or even 2100!  ooops

In an extended bidding war, yeah its sucks when all your bids are met with a raise! But you can bail any time it gets too high and can never pay a surprisingly high amount.   Both systems have their up sides and downsides. 

As for the common complaint that the auction houses will "bid you up to your max bid", Ive bought a lot and never seen this happen to me.  What does happen is that no auction house or consignor wants to let a book sell for an outrageously low price just cause no one showed up to bid.  In some cases the consignor bids or gets someone else to for him.  A friend, etc.  And auction houses where legal can opt to buy an item that is selling for way too low.  My overall take on this is that a bidder who expects to "steal" a book while no one is looking isn't really a good approach to buying at auctions,  There are other forces at work  in the marketplace. Just as you as the consignor wouldn't want a 1000 book to sell for 300, dont expect anyone else to either.e

On 3/19/2022 at 3:13 AM, Aman619 said:

In some cases the consignor bids or gets someone else to for him.  A friend, etc.

you may be correct, but this is just as much conjecture as the idea that the house bids you up. Both are assumptions. There is no more evidence for your theory than the other. But the human is odd in that most of us believe one or the other based mostly on our own cognitive distortions.

On 3/19/2022 at 8:46 AM, Bird said:

you may be correct, but this is just as much conjecture as the idea that the house bids you up. Both are assumptions. There is no more evidence for your theory than the other. But the human is odd in that most of us believe one or the other based mostly on our own cognitive distortions.

Shill bidding is a thing, surely you aren’t suggesting it doesn’t exist? Does it happen on every lot? No… Do people ever get deals in an auction setting? Of course… But I suspect it’s more common in this market than one may think…

Edited by Callaway29

On 3/19/2022 at 9:23 AM, Callaway29 said:

Shill bidding is a thing, surely you aren’t suggesting it doesn’t exist? Does it happen on every lot? No… Do people ever get deals in an auction setting? Of course… But I suspect it’s more common in this market than one may think…

are you shilling? otherwise how do you know?

My point is we all believe these things exist, but the degree to which we believe it is the house, or the consignors, differs based on our distortions. We do not have actual knowledge of how wide spread either is, we only have small data points (and Burkey's rather large data point). I sell, but have never shilled. I buy, but can only guess if I have been bid up dishonestly. So we all mostly guess, and we all guess differently, and we are all wrong mostly or at least inaccurate. we all suspect different things, doesn't make them any more or less true.

On 3/19/2022 at 9:40 AM, Bird said:

are you shilling? otherwise how do you know?

My point is we all believe these things exist, but the degree to which we believe it is the house, or the consignors, differs based on our distortions. We do not have actual knowledge of how wide spread either is, we only have small data points (and Burkey's rather large data point). I sell, but have never shilled. I buy, but can only guess if I have been bid up dishonestly. So we all mostly guess, and we all guess differently, and we are all wrong mostly or at least inaccurate. we all suspect different things, doesn't make them any more or less true.

#1) If that was an accusation, it’s not appreciated.

#2) I forget the circumstances surrounding each situation, but very astute people have exposed shilling on eBay through independent forensics (linking accounts of sellers and buyers through various mechanisms).

#3) You’re turning this into a philosophical argument. One is naive if they think people aren’t exploiting loopholes in this market of speculation, where many are motivated purely by greed, where the opportunity for unethical individuals to cheat the system to make more money without consequence exists. It’s simple human nature. I don’t need a report from an investigative body to tell me it’s happening…

#4) I don’t believe that you don’t believe it’s happening. And yes, I get your point that “believing” and “knowing” are two different things, but frankly it’s a moot point imo…because it IS happening. It’s common sense…

Edited by Callaway29

On 3/19/2022 at 11:39 AM, Callaway29 said:

#1) If that was an accusation, it’s not appreciated.

no, it was logically saying unless you shill you do not know if there is shilling involved in any specific auction (yes, I noted Burkey and there are countless others but % of sellers, (shrug)

#3) You’re turning this into a philosophical argument. One is naive if they think people aren’t exploiting loopholes in this market of speculation, where many are motivated purely by greed, where the opportunity for unethical individuals to cheat the system to make more money without consequence exists. It’s simple human nature. I don’t need a report from an investigative body to tell me it’s happening…

but you (I am not going back, I assume it was you) it was said one type was much more prevalent than the other I am just saying you can have that opinion but we do not how correct it is. auction houses were discounted and consignors targeted, I am saying it could be any number of both (and it SOME number)

#4) I don’t believe that you don’t believe it’s happening. And yes, I get your point that “believing” and “knowing” are two different things, but frankly it’s a moot point imo…because it IS happening. It’s common sense…

I don’t believe that you don’t believe that I don't believe that.

wait, what?

moot point means debated cannot settled as there is no answer so I do agree to that. I am just saying don't be so sure of anyone's honesty that you do not know, auction house OR consignors.

Edited by Bird

On 3/19/2022 at 11:49 AM, Bird said:

no, it was logically saying unless you shill you do not know if there is shilling involved in any specific auction (yes, I noted Burkey and there are countless others but % of sellers, (shrug)

but you (I am not going back, I assume it was you) it was said one type was much more prevalent than the other I am just saying you can have that opinion but we do not how correct it is. auction houses were discounted and consignors targeted, I am saying it could be any number of both (and it SOME number)

I don’t believe that you don’t believe that I don't believe that.

wait, what?

moot point means debated cannot settled as there is no answer so I do agree to that. I am just saying don't be so sure of anyone's honesty that you do not know, auction house OR consignors.

You lost me. Perhaps I missed some intricacy in a previous comment that drove some of your statements…and like you, I’m not going back.

I thought your point was that without empirical evidence we don’t know if it’s happening in the market as a whole, not in the context of a specific auction. That changes things…

I was all ready to post: “If a tree falls in the woods and nobody is there to hear it, does it make a sound?”

Anyways, I’m not the type to kick a dead horse. Carry on…