• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,101 posts in this topic

On 2/13/2022 at 9:19 PM, GrasshopperFF said:

Thanks, PeterPark! In all my excitement about the big purchase I forgot to mention the Tales to Astonish 93, 7.5 grade. Also looking at the newer artwork surfer stuff by Dell’Otto. The surfer cuts a cool image! eBay. I’m in on some of the Heritage bidding this weekend but surprised about the 20% buyer’s premium. Do y’all like any comic sellers you care to share?

Man, you are jumping right in! Welcome to the boards! 

Sellers I go to frequently: 

Superworldcomics.com

Highgradecomics.com

Dale Roberts comics

Reece Comics 

WWcomics.com. 

Mycomicshop does a ton of auctions and has a lot of rotating stocks. 

Allot of guys have luck with Instagram, but I don't have that. 

Also, check the boards here. Probably 70% of my purchases over the last 3 or 4 years have been here on the boards. 

On 2/13/2022 at 9:26 PM, KCOComics said:

Man, you are jumping right in! Welcome to the boards! 

Sellers I go to frequently: 

Superworldcomics.com

Highgradecomics.com

Dale Roberts comics

Reece Comics 

WWcomics.com. 

Mycomicshop does a ton of auctions and has a lot of rotating stocks. 

Allot of guys have luck with Instagram, but I don't have that. 

Also, check the boards here. Probably 70% of my purchases over the last 3 or 4 years have been here on the boards. 

Thanks, KCO. Very helpful — I’ll be sure to check those places out. Including these boards! I’ve definitely jumped into this cool hobby. Similar in some ways to baseball cards, but way more adventurous. I’ve watched long videos about the storylines and in-depth analysis of some books  not just investment advice  

I see there should be “investing fun” if done smartly. If I’m not smart then I get stuck with some cool nostalgia — that is still rare and has some level of value. I see YouTube authors pimping some keys and I’m guilty of taking that bait. The hype movement is real — but fun! Snag the hi graded books that are still approachable, right? 

On 2/13/2022 at 9:48 PM, GrasshopperFF said:

Thanks, KCO. Very helpful — I’ll be sure to check those places out. Including these boards! I’ve definitely jumped into this cool hobby. Similar in some ways to baseball cards, but way more adventurous. I’ve watched long videos about the storylines and in-depth analysis of some books  not just investment advice  

I see there should be “investing fun” if done smartly. If I’m not smart then I get stuck with some cool nostalgia — that is still rare and has some level of value. I see YouTube authors pimping some keys and I’m guilty of taking that bait. The hype movement is real — but fun! Snag the hi graded books that are still approachable, right? 

Yeah, it's been a weird ride in this hobby. 

I never thought of comics as an investment. I've chased keys and bought what I liked, but I never thought "I'm buying this because it will generate X% return over __ years". 

And while it's impossible to ignore how expensive the hobby has gotten, I still try to take the same approach. Buy the things I like and will appreciate owning. And heck, if the market tanked tomorrow, maybe I could buy some keys I can no longer afford. 

You can get a CGC 9.2 of FF 45 for 5K. A fresh take on the Inhumans in MCU is all it would take.... the potential is there. A VERY nice copy of TTA 35 could be had for 5K. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 2/13/2022 at 10:38 PM, jimjum12 said:

You can get a CGC 9.2 of FF 45 for 5K. A fresh take on the Inhumans in MCU is all it would take.... the potential is there. A VERY nice copy of TTA 35 could be had for 5K. GOD BLESS....

Amen, Jimbo! On. My. List!! There is also a parallel to Good vs Evil storytelling and Heavens opening that remind me of a religious experience. 

On 2/13/2022 at 10:38 PM, jimjum12 said:

I’ve gotta ask, Jimbo: Where are you seeing FF45 in a 9.2 grade for $5k?? I’m seeing the FMV for a 9.2 closer to $9k. 

On 2/14/2022 at 5:50 AM, GrasshopperFF said:

I’ve gotta ask, Jimbo: Where are you seeing FF45 in a 9.2 grade for $5k?? I’m seeing the FMV for a 9.2 closer to $9k. 

Looking at GPA, the most recent sale recorded of a 9.2 was $4K nut that in May of 2020 but there was a 9.4 that sold in December of 2021 for $6,600.  I haven't played in SA books in a while so I don't have a lot knowledge of trends and a one book sale from a site that GPA tracks isn't a representative sample but it would put a 9.2 in that range Jimbo said.  

My 45 is an old label 8.0 with white pages.  I wish I had kept records of when and how much I paid for books.  I am sure when I bought it and much of my SA collection, they were readily had at relatively low dollar.  I have been playing in GA books for a while but like to look through the SA and BA and CA (I stopped buying new comics in the mid 80s) threads just to see what is hot. 

On 2/14/2022 at 8:34 AM, telerites said:

Looking at GPA, the most recent sale recorded of a 9.2 was $4K nut that in May of 2020 but there was a 9.4 that sold in December of 2021 for $6,600.  I haven't played in SA books in a while so I don't have a lot knowledge of trends and a one book sale from a site that GPA tracks isn't a representative sample but it would put a 9.2 in that range Jimbo said.  

My 45 is an old label 8.0 with white pages.  I wish I had kept records of when and how much I paid for books.  I am sure when I bought it and much of my SA collection, they were readily had at relatively low dollar.  I have been playing in GA books for a while but like to look through the SA and BA and CA (I stopped buying new comics in the mid 80s) threads just to see what is hot. 

I might be interested in your old 8 w white pages if you are considering a sale. My recent purchase of the 7 grade FF48 has me a little less willing to spend too much right away. But I’ll listen to a price if you want to start a dialogue? 

On 2/14/2022 at 6:50 AM, GrasshopperFF said:

I'm seeing 3K at 9.0 and 6.5K at 9.4 recently on GPA, with a 4K from 2 years ago. Granted, if you enter 5K you may just get outbid. It had a soft couple of years due to a lot of complaints on the Inhumans TV show, although Judy and I and Richard loved it. Where is a 9.2 listed at 9K ? 

I always loved that book, the cover is powerful, with a little mysteriousness. I think a lot of your possibilities are going to be with FF's and X-Books if you're trying to get under the wire. GOD BLESS...

On 2/14/2022 at 10:46 AM, jimjum12 said:

I'm seeing 3K at 9.0 and 6.5K at 9.4 recently on GPA, with a 4K from 2 years ago. Granted, if you enter 5K you may just get outbid. It had a soft couple of years due to a lot of complaints on the Inhumans TV show, although Judy and I and Richard loved it. Where is a 9.2 listed at 9K ? 

I always loved that book, the cover is powerful, with a little mysteriousness. I think a lot of your possibilities are going to be with FF's and X-Books if you're trying to get under the wire. GOD BLESS...

I've been using GoCollect. In 2020 3 FF52s (9.2) were purchased for over $13k. Those purchases must have driven up the avg? Is GoCollect legit??? I'm sure 9.2 grades are hard to come by. Some of the other buyer sources have current higher grades (9.0 and above) priced way more than $5k.  It seems the are only a hundred or so books graded higher than 9.0. So I'm certainly not aiming so high. But... it's ok to dream a little! It feels like I need to get better at researching price and sourcing. Still learning!

On 2/14/2022 at 11:36 AM, GrasshopperFF said:

I've been using GoCollect. In 2020 3 FF52s (9.2) were purchased for over $13k. Those purchases must have driven up the avg? Is GoCollect legit??? I'm sure 9.2 grades are hard to come by. Some of the other buyer sources have current higher grades (9.0 and above) priced way more than $5k.  It seems the are only a hundred or so books graded higher than 9.0. So I'm certainly not aiming so high. But... it's ok to dream a little! It feels like I need to get better at researching price and sourcing. Still learning!

I didn't notice how recently that you joined. This site here is a great source for fairly priced books ... sometimes the auctions can scoot out of reach. There are also some Nationwide dealers who are good with interest free time payments. I've had successful time payments with www.highgradecomics.com and www.metropoliscomics.com .... It's not unusual for the book to increase in value beyond what the original price was by the time it's paid. Just bear in mind, buy the book and not the label, avoiding funky miswraps, overgrades, and toasty tanned books (unless the price is right). GOD BLESS...

On 2/14/2022 at 8:00 AM, GrasshopperFF said:

I might be interested in your old 8 w white pages if you are considering a sale. My recent purchase of the 7 grade FF48 has me a little less willing to spend too much right away. But I’ll listen to a price if you want to start a dialogue? 

Not in the market to sell.  I just was sort of thinking since I don't keep up with much sales data, how much the market has changed from when I did a majority of my buying.

On 2/14/2022 at 11:36 AM, GrasshopperFF said:

If you are serious about the pricing aspect, I would strongly suggest getting a GPA subscription. It’s not perfect by any means but will give you a lot of up to the minute info on sales from lots of sources: Heritage, eBay, Metropolis, Mycomicshop... Just not from Comiclink… 

On 2/14/2022 at 1:42 PM, dikran1 said:

If you are serious about the pricing aspect, I would strongly suggest getting a GPA subscription. It’s not perfect by any means but will give you a lot of up to the minute info on sales from lots of sources: Heritage, eBay, Metropolis, Mycomicshop... Just not from Comiclink… 

Also .... more often than not, especially Keys, the CLink result just skews the price a little higher. I use GPA almost every day. GOD BLESS...

On 2/14/2022 at 10:36 AM, GrasshopperFF said:

sold my FF 45 9.4 white pages for $1400 about 10 years ago and that was double what I paid for it raw..:pullhair:

On 2/14/2022 at 4:23 PM, gunsmokin said:

sold my FF 45 9.4 white pages for $1400 about 10 years ago and that was double what I paid for it raw..:pullhair:

I sold my JIM 85 CGC 9.0 for $3500 less than 10 years ago .... and felt a little guilty doh! GOD BLESS....

Edited by jimjum12

On 2/14/2022 at 1:01 PM, Beige said:

AF #15 CGC 2.5 - $55,000USD

Just popped up on GPA.

i am not saying that it is not legit, and i certainly hope that it is, as the owner of a nice 4.5 af15 myself. but a few years ago i sold a book on feebay for a record price to a non-paying buyer, and the only reason it came off gpa was because i wrote to them to let them know that i was never paid.

so, it's entirely possible that people wanting to boost prices in this way are bidding on stuff like this but not following through with payment. if two collaborators did it and did not re-list the book again, i don't see how gpa would know it was not legit.