• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best of 2014....... it Begins---------The Votes are in!!!

243 posts in this topic

This is what I after much consideration decided on:

bestof2014.jpg

Published Covers

Enric Badia Romero - Agent X9 #12/2013 - Modesty Blaise

Published Splashes, Pin-Ups

Dan DeCarlo - Pep #196 - p16

Published Strip Art

Frank Robbins - Johnny Hazard - 5-19-1966

Unpublished Commissions

Jeff Shultz - The Archies in the Summer of '69

Unpublished Convention Sketches

Emanuela Lupacchino - Sabrina the Teen-Age Witch in 1962

So the "Best of ..." only applies to people who join this "Lowry" group?

To enter, you need to:

• Join the Yahoo! comicart-l which is free and wide open
  • Join the CAF which is also free and wide open
  • Follow Brian's instructions, above.

So, sign up. It is really just art exhibition that's open to all.

If you just want to see the exhibit, click here. There's a box in the upper right corner that allows you see entries for each category. Try it!

Got mine up. This is a nice way to stop and take stock of the year that was!!

It's pretty tough competition when a Fabry PREACHER cover featuring SOK doesn't make the cut considering none have been available on the open market for 20 years :o

It was a crazy year!!!! I think it came down to I wanted to enter something in the unpublished category so the Bolland Killing Joke Prelim went in there. 4 of the 5 pieces were already spoken for in two categories so wanted to branch out.

I've put a piece in the commission category. That will be my one entry for this year.

By the way, the year of the "best of" is not up to date. When clicking on a category, it displays on top: "Best of 2013 Entries"

Huge thanks to Brian and Bill for another round of this Best of ...

I've poked around and checked out some of the art posted and all I can say is that there are some damn strong entries and some pieces of art that already have my vote so far. Great stuff guys...

My art entries are posted, and it was a really good year for me as well. One cover, two title splash pages, and two interior pages. Some were obvious choices, and as expected the last couple were a bit tougher to narrow down and commit to. But here's what I've submitted:

Spectacular Spider Man 208 cover Sal Buscema - from 1994, and Buscema's second run on the title. It's Shroud and a creepy possessed Spider Man in the background. Oversize Spider-Man with two rows of sharp pointy teeth? As someone commented to me "creepy cool".

Peter Parker Spectacular Spider Man 45 pg 1 Marie Severin & Steve Mitchell - Spider-man chained and about to fed into the incinerator by the Vulture. Mighty House of Marvel during the 80's and my favorite run on the title with stories by Roger Stern, and art by Marie Severin and Steve Mitchell. Does exactly what a title page should and draw you into the story immediately. So much love here and might be my favorite pick up of the year.

Justice League of America 214 pg 1 Don Heck & Romeo Tanghal - Into the Microcosmos part 2 title page with the League and Krystal Kaa. Don Heck remains one of my favorite artists and while I prefer other inkers on his work, Romeo Tanghal did a nice job here on this title page. Love the layout and all the different characters.

Marvel Team Up 5 pg 19 Gil Kane & Mike Esposito - Marvel Team Up was one of my favorite titles when I was younger as I loved the pairing of Spider-man with other heroes and their teamwork and banter. Here Spider-man teams up with Vision and faces off against Puppet Master and Montroid (Ballox), in a comic that has his first appearance. Gil Kane pencils and Mike Esposito inking is a nice combination.

Infinity Crusade 6 pg 25 Ron Lim & Al Milgrom - This got tough to narrow down what would be my final entry into the Lowry this year. I had a few pages that were almost in and this one took a day or two of deliberation before I decided that it made it in. I love Starlin's written "Infinity" series, and this page from the third, "Infinity Crusade" featuring Thanos and Warlock is just outright cool. In my opinion, Ron Lim was one of the strongest and most consistent artists working in the 90's and was a great choice to handle the art on this series. (I also really like Lim's current work on things like the Thanos Annual that he recently did.. though I've only seen pencil artwork for that). Milgrom does a great job on inking Lim's work on this series and giving it that finished feel that it needs.

It was a tough call and there are a couple of pages that almost made it in. Honorable mentions go to:

JLA 24 pg 10 Howard Porter & John Dell - Green Lantern and Aquaman in search of The Shaggy Man. Howard Porter's art for this series was phenomenal and is finally getting some appreciation. This page possibly has my favorite panel rendition of Aquaman from the run.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1108990

Justice League of America 198 pg 10 Don Heck & Brett breeding - So much love for this page as Heck's pencils look great inked by Brett Breeding (remember when I said I preferred other inkers over Heck's pencils.. yeah.. Breeding was so good). With the League members displaced in time, Zatanna finds herself in the old west and runs across Cinnamon. This mixture of heroes and DC's Western characters was such a good read and later adapted for the animated series.

Lowry entries canbe seen here..

My Lowry

and my regular gallery is here:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerydetail.asp?gcat=46227

mine are in !! 3 covers - a DPS and I guess interior page.

Time to show some love to the 2000AD art - thats what I say!

I guess everyone is linking to their Lowery so I will as well.

Maybe I missed this but why is it called a Lowery?

Doc Joes Lowery

mine are in !! 3 covers - a DPS and I guess interior page.

Time to show some love to the 2000AD art - thats what I say!

I guess everyone is linking to their Lowery so I will as well.

Maybe I missed this but why is it called a Lowery?

Doc Joes Lowery

It is Lowry, and it is named after a deceased gentleman I never interacted with named Bruce Lowry. He was apparently quite the collector, and his story and the story of The Lowry is on the first page of The Lowry I think. It is a nice remembrance of a departed friend.

My art entries are posted: two covers (Tom Strong by Art Adams and BPRD Hell on Earth by Mignola) and three interior pages (Sin City / Frank Miller, The Sandman / Kelley Jones and The Walking Dead / Charlie Adlard). Four obvious choices, but a hard one regarding the fifth entry! Eduardo Risso and Tim Sale failed to make the podium.

My lowry

May the Force be with me!

smsc081.gif

2014 entries:

http://www.comicartfans.com/mylowry.asp?gsub=1670

2014 brought me a wonderful Kev Walker MTG wraparound cover painting (formerly owned by Kirk Dilibeck), that I'd long admired but was never expecting to see released for sale anytime soon (see Lowry link). Also, in a similar vein, several stunning Volkan Baga oil paintings . . . and, to bring a smile to my face, some more Richard Sala artworks.

So what category does one submit illustration art pieces like the Magic cards, that are published but not interior comic page, etc? My purchases from 2014 are largely in that boat. Painted personal work of the artists, published in their art monographs but not published as comic covers or interiors.

Are you assigning them as pinups? Seems the only category that tangentially fits?

Also one of mine is scheduled to BE published in an upcoming book, but the book hasn't been released yet. Then what? It also was started as a commission, which would make it a published commission at some point in 2015. Treat it as unpublished for now? Not fair?

So what category does one submit illustration art pieces like the Magic cards, that are published but not interior comic page, etc? My purchases from 2014 are largely in that boat. Painted personal work of the artists, published in their art monographs but not published as comic covers or interiors.

Are you assigning them as pinups? Seems the only category that tangentially fits?

Also one of mine is scheduled to BE published in an upcoming book, but the book hasn't been released yet. Then what? It also was started as a commission, which would make it a published commission at some point in 2015. Treat it as unpublished for now? Not fair?

Looks as though the categories have changed (I was of the impression that 'Unpublished other' was merged with 'Unpublished/Published other).

When I uploaded my selection the split category was not an option . . . so I'll now have to change categories on a few things . . .