• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In Defense of Man of Steel
1 1

87 posts in this topic

Yeah, I never understood the hate thrown towards MOS. I liked it, and it's the only DC movie I own.
A lot of folks on here have claimed there was a Marvel/DC competition out there.

But, I've always thought people just felt too burned out from DC after a long string of bombs, misfires and lackadaisical attempts at their favorite characters since 1997. Christopher Nolan's Batman got away from the herd because it was operating in it's own universe. Smallville stayed on for so long, due to charity from the cast (taking over producer credits, etc).

I figure people just didn't want to like it from get go and was looking for any reason to hate it before giving it a chance. Marvel has taken off since 2008, establishing continuity in it's funnybook universe and I assumed a lot of people were just comfortable with that.

Man of Steel comes along, as the first piece of Time Warner's strategy of being DC's Iron Man multiple franchise starter, and comic fans didn't want to be forced to collect something that had burned them so recently (Superman Returns).

My complaints were trivial. Too many advertisements, too much effects, noisy ending, Costner/Crowe miscast (should have picked unknowns).

I really enjoyed Man of Steel, much, much more than Dark Knight Rises.

Very rewatchable on Blu-ray. In contrast, I couldn't sit through DKR again.

I think for a lot of people, especially older readers, comics are a remembrance of a much more innocent time (or rather a time they remember as innocent).

Superman represents this pretty strongly, as a character who always does what's right and finds a way to strictly adhere to a code of honor, regardless of what impossible choices are thrown in his way. And, as they remember it, he certainly doesn't have any 'questions', about what is right or wrong.

The modern era in comics, disregarded, disassembled, deconstructed, reimagined, rebooted, and threw a lot of that upside down and on it's ear, to some of those readers. But Superman, never really swayed all that much outside of his 'collective Golden Age remembrance'.

Man of Steel probably felt like a violation of all of that to a lot of those people.

Makes me think of that scene in Watchmen - the classic Golden Age character vs the new philosophy of the Punisher type Modern Age character....

Man of Steel probably felt like a violation of all of that to a lot of those people.

The opposing challenge is if Superman didn't have some adjustment to the times, then the character and stories date themselves and become stale.

And that doesn't mean a total compromise of Superman's historic core values. But more a realistic response when there is a villain like Doomsday destroying everything in his path, including killing those around him. The old, "You're going to jail to think over your transgressions and one day be a better society contributor' just won't match the crime.

..... LOVED Man of Steel ..... one of my favorite comic movies. My only small complaint was that, after killing Zod, he didn't take him and fly backwards at superquantum speed, reviving him only to kill him again, over and over and over..... in a different way each time. GOD BLESS....

Haha... Or he could have blew him one of his famous 'amnesia kisses!' Pucker up, Zod! "Krypton, who?!" :o

What I love about MoS is Snyder actually got his powers right! I think seeing the actual brutality of Superman killing, a sort of 'shock & awe' tactic used during warfare, as opposed to letting Zod fall to his death in a murky pit in Donner's version, may have turned a lot of people off.

The opposing challenge is if Superman didn't have some adjustment to the times, then the character and stories date themselves and become stale.

And that doesn't mean a total compromise of Superman's historic core values. But more a realistic response when there is a villain like Doomsday destroying everything in his path, including killing those around him. The old, "You're going to jail to think over your transgressions and one day be a better society contributor' just won't match the crime.

Some people don't want change. It's a violation of their childhood memories.

The studios don't care. MOS cost 50 million less to make than SR and raked in 90 million more America dollars than SR (as well as a HUGE amount more overseas), so.... welcome to the real world Supes.

Personally I liked MOS.

I liked Superman Returns & Man of Steel. Superman was problematic only due to a weak -script/plot. Brandon Routh did a very fine job, and should get no blame for that movie (just as blaming Ryan Reynolds for Green Lantern, that one was all about bad -script & plot.)

Superman Returns was a nice change, because it wasn't homogenized for everyone's consumption. It was darker, and needs to be if you're going to pair him with Batman. Otherwise it will be like Robin (Burt Ward) fighting Green Hornet's Kato (Bruce Lee.) .....totally unrealistic.

I liked MOS better than Superman Return as a whole, but I dont remember a sequence from MOS I liked as much as I liked the Airplane/Shuttle rescue in Superman Returns.

Da truth.

I think I remember that Gabriel Hardman did the Storyboards for Superman Returns and in an interview he said that that sequence basically was shot for shot in line with his storyboards.

and you can tell. it's pure comic-bookery... (my word copywrite 2015) and its awesome.

I liked MOS better than Superman Return as a whole, but I dont remember a sequence from MOS I liked as much as I liked the Airplane/Shuttle rescue in Superman Returns.

Da truth.

I think I remember that Gabriel Hardman did the Storyboards for Superman Returns and in an interview he said that that sequence basically was shot for shot in line with his storyboards.

and you can tell. it's pure comic-bookery... (my word copywrite 2015) and its awesome.

I also liked it when Superman rescued Air Force One from crashing in... Superman: The Movie (1978).

But, it's not like the movie was just a rehash of the original anyway. There wasn't another Lex land scheme, a faultline, a city crumbling from an earthquake...

Oh wait, nevermind.

It's called working under a new premise.

Yah, Man of Steel! :headbang:

Some people don't want change. It's a violation of their childhood memories.

The studios don't care. MOS cost 50 million less to make than SR and raked in 90 million more America dollars than SR (as well as a HUGE amount more overseas), so.... welcome to the real world Supes.

Personally I liked MOS.

Oh, I know. We all have a favorite character/team that at a certain point was the best experience for you. It can be a certain story arc, a creative run, or even an extended period of time where everything came together for that comic book.

But what's one of the big complaints concerning the DC Universe? Only Batman has an extensive list of intense and interesting villains. So in this case, Snyder took a traditional villain and his supporting members and made them so deadly, Superman was challenged how to handle the situation. And we are talking about a fairly new Superman, just learning about his capabilities and origin. Not a seasoned superhero, who is very familiar with his arsenal of powers and having dealt with the same situations previously. In an act of desperation, he takes them head-on because they forced his hand anyway by threatening his world and the people he cares about.

I think there were some spots where the movie could have been a tiny bit different. But for the most part, it was a great way to relaunch the CBM efforts of DC/Warner, and develop a much larger universe of characters. But it is not going to work for everyone due to their appreciation for certain characters at an earlier and simpler time. There is nothing wrong with that if they don't appreciate this movie. There are so many more to enjoy within DC/Warner, Marvel, Dark Horse and others.