• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In Defense of Man of Steel
1 1

87 posts in this topic

I don't remember Superman saving Zod in Superman II... or Non... or Ursa.

I always thought that was pretty brutal. The hand crush looked and sounded nasty, and then they... what? Fall to their deaths in a crevasse?

They were human at that point... and they disappeared into an ice crevasse that may have had icy water in it. They definitely weren't taken to prison with Lex.

The Donner Cut changed that... because Superman used his "fly backwards around the Earth" time-undoing trick (again) and kept them from escaping the Phantom Zone in the first place. But the world saw the theater cut... and he killed all three.

MOS is, as of right now, my favorite comic book movie. A lot of people dislike it it and I catch a lot of mess from them because I like it so much.

Whatever, haters gonna hate...

.... don't feel bad, bro. I'm the guy who LOVED both Hulk movies, LOEG, and the third ASM :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Superman has had to apply lethal force a few times throughout his history. Here are some examples when this came up in the 'Rate Man of Steel 1-10 Scale' thread.

- Superman Vol 2, #22 (Zod & company)

2932470-Superman_kills_01.jpg

- Superman Vol 2, #75 (Doomsday)

doomsday-vs-superman-001_480_poster.jpg

- Superman Vol. 3 #3 (Heather)

2932482-tsup_03_019_copy.jpg

- Action Comics #583 (Mxyxptlk)

Alan Moore's amazing contribution to the Superman "ending", with the line "That's right, Mxyxptlk. Time to die."

Screen-Shot-2013-06-17-at-8.31.14-AM.png

Just want to clarify for posters who can't read too well what I posted.

I didn't care if he killed Zod in Man of Steel, Superman II or Edward Scissorhands.

Stop reaching.

I felt the special effects overwhelmed the climax into another unbelievable Michael Bay-wannabe spectacle. Something this big should have ended a little more quietly, like The Dark Knight. The neck snap was so much louder than any skyscraper collapse.

Several bullet points of tu quoque arguments?

Not much of a defense.

When the argument is "Superman would never kill Zod"

...and the response is "Superman has already killed Zod twice before"

That's not a tu quoque fallacy, that's a double fact. Very sloppy, sl4ppy.

Just want to clarify for posters who can't read too well what I posted.

You gave it 3 stars. You're neutral in the discussion, so no one was actually responding to you.

OK, I feel like I'm always slamming it because of the two hideous points I always mention, but it's actually a pretty solid movie. Carry on.

Several bullet points of tu quoque arguments?

Not much of a defense.

When the argument is "Superman would never kill Zod"

...and the response is "Superman has already killed Zod twice before"

That's not a tu quoque fallacy, that's a double fact. Very sloppy, sl4ppy.

Huh? Neither of those are the arguments.

The authors arguments are:

1) This Superman Destroyed An American City!

2) This Superman Was Reckless!

3) They Made This Superman A Murderer!

4) This Superman Movie Is Too Dark!

To which every response is (basically) "some other character does this, so it's okay here." That is the very definition of tu quoque.

...as a parting note and personal opinion, MOS was terrible because `Supes as a character is, frankly, boring.

Edited by sl4ppy

This movie is .

You only have to compare it to the original which had none of the special effects technology but heaps more class.

-better -script

-wittier jokes

-characters you cared about

-hot leading lady

-a musical score you remember to this day

Stuff the Man of Steel had

-lousy -script

-characters who never gelled except for Sup and his mom

-Superman making like a US Commando and snapping a neck instead of finding a way to save the planet without anyone getting hurt or finding his identity.... because you know... he's freaking Superman

-Another lousy Costner performance. I hate it when big names muscle themselves on to a film. . Afleck.

-A Sup on PE drugs because he admitted binging after the movie on the Graham Norton show.

-Over the top CGI where the action was so fast and displayed like a video game. Who gave a flip what occurred

I bought this movie on blu ray to show my wife. Saw it once. Never seen it again since.

MOS is, as of right now, my favorite comic book movie. A lot of people dislike it it and I catch a lot of mess from them because I like it so much.

.... don't feel bad, bro. I'm the guy who LOVED both Hulk movies, LOEG, and the third ASM :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

I loved MOS as well. The best comic book movie for me so far followed also by the DC Batman trilogy and I have always been a Marvel fan (sorry to mirror you there jimjum12 but you summed it up perfectly for me.)

Not that I am trying to dis Marvel as their movies are very well made, very entertaining and obviously very successful. But when Superman killed Zod it was one of those rare moments when a movie can transcend it's genre. Like it or not, it gave the movie a moral dimension that you have to deal with - something that killing hundreds of robots could never do.

I loved MOS as well. The best comic book movie for me so far followed also by the DC Batman trilogy and I have always been a Marvel fan (sorry to mirror you there jimjum12 but you summed it up perfectly for me.)

Not that I am trying to dis Marvel as their movies are very well made, very entertaining and obviously very successful. But when Superman killed Zod it was one of those rare moments when a movie can transcend it's genre. Like it or not, it gave the movie a moral dimension that you have to deal with - something that killing hundreds of robots could never do.

:foryou: ...... at that stage in Superman's career, he had no other choice than to dust Zod............ sometimes heroes must make the tough decisions. It was fast and humane..... now if he'd ripped Zod's head out by the roots and pulled a Conan ? ...perhaps not so much..... GOD BLESS....

:foryou: ...... at that stage in Superman's career, he had no other choice than to dust Zod............ sometimes heroes must make the tough decisions. It was fast and humane..... now if he'd ripped Zod's head out by the roots and pulled a Conan ? ...perhaps not so much..... GOD BLESS....

In my opinion, he should have just marched right up to Zod and ended his journey right there. We had already seen fighting in Krypton, fighting Smallville (I watched some of it tonight). We didn't really need to watch them hurl each other around the city, until Clark had to make his choice. That would have been a far better pay-off (and personal, like The Dark Knight's) after defeating Zod's army and would have saved some money in effects for the sequel. Mainstream people would have been talking about Superman being a bad-guy right up to the spin-off movie and would have been a better arc for Affleck to start with for his character. But, the fakey 5 minute beatdown exhausted you to the point of not caring about that scene as much as you should of. An edited down Man of Steel with less product placements, might even get 3 1/2 stars from me. I agree with Mr. Sneeze, Marvel's relied on way too many droid armies lately to even invest emotional interest in what's happening on screen. I mean AoU had another brainwashed Hulk rampage, another fight between Avengers, another scientist brainwashed by "Loki's Glow Stick of Destiny" and much more stuff of the same. At least Man of Steel, didn't feel like a cold product, even if you had the urge to shop at Sears afterwards.

In my opinion, he should have just marched right up to Zod and ended his journey right there. We had already seen fighting in Krypton, fighting Smallville (I watched some of it tonight). We didn't really need to watch them hurl each other around the city, until Clark had to make his choice. That would have been a far better pay-off (and personal, like The Dark Knight's) after defeating Zod's army and would have saved some money in effects for the sequel. Mainstream people would have been talking about Superman being a bad-guy right up to the spin-off movie and would have been a better arc for Affleck to start with for his character. But, the fakey 5 minute beatdown exhausted you to the point of not caring about that scene as much as you should of. An edited down Man of Steel with less product placements, might even get 3 1/2 stars from me. I agree with Mr. Sneeze, Marvel's relied on way too many droid armies lately to even invest emotional interest in what's happening on screen. I mean AoU had another brainwashed Hulk rampage, another fight between Avengers, another scientist brainwashed by "Loki's Glow Stick of Destiny" and much more stuff of the same. At least Man of Steel, didn't feel like a cold product, even if you had the urge to shop at Sears afterwards.

..... this.

.....although, honestly, I believe I'd rather get shot than have to go to Sears. GOD BLESS...

9 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I've watched this for the upteenth time (not that many times but I don't remember the exact number) and it seems to draw me in more with each viewing.

Just a spectacular film that I think is among the best that DC has put out (along with Dark Knight rivaling it).

I think the movie was far better than it's gross would suggest at the box office.

It had Nolan's finger tips all over it and should have been the blueprint to build the rest of the DC universe on.

Supe's portrayal was majestic. The music fit the movie well. The action scenes were well done. The entire Krypton backstory was well done.

Sure, there were a few holes but over all I think it was an A+ movie.

Completely agree. After seeing this I had high hopes for DC and they just went downhill hard. Man of Steel is the ultimate comic book movie with aerial fight scenes I've been waiting for since the last Matrix. The original Superman is a classic and was absolutely magic when I saw it in the theater as a kid but Man of Steel is the Superman I needed to see today.