• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fake TMNT sketches on ebay. Please review and report

20 posts in this topic

There's not much question in my mind, and I'll eat some serious crow if I'm wrong, but I fully believe this sketch is a fake:

Bogus Peter Laird sketch on ebay

I believe that he may have had an original sketch with an authentic signature from 2002, but it looks like that sketch was photocopied and colored with Sharpie. The lines are too exact, down to where the signature crosses the same line on the plastron (front shell). The guy has sold a Leo, Don, and Raph piece already and he claims this is the last he has and it's already got a bid. If I'm wrong, somebody please tell me. Otherwise, I'm going to report this listing.

In the spoiler tags, I've included the pics of the previous "sketches" this guy sold along with the Michelangelo sketch from the above listing. I know from personal experience that many of Laird's convention sketches have some similarities, but these are a little too exact. And it looks like there are slight alterations to each in an attempt to make them look unique.

$_12.JPG$_12.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_12.JPG

Guest Grails
100% fake

No one signs their sig exactly the same twice

No one

Fake, but not by this reasoning. There are some artists with brief signature styles that create exact matches to the naked eye. I'm not talking about examining pressure or examination through a microscope.

100% fake

No one

Fake, but not by this reasoning. There are some artists with brief signature styles that create exact matches.

No

The lines will always be off slightly

If you put them on a light box it will be obvious

100% fake

No one

Fake, but not by this reasoning. There are some artists with brief signature styles that create exact matches.

What Kav is saying is that it's the *exact* same sig. Like a copy (overlaid in PS):

sig.jpg

The guy is selling copies, and he must be coloring them and selling them as real sketches.

Especially with a complex sig like this-there is no way the lines would be exact

What should we do, boys?

Already reported. Any way to contact the buyers of the previous sketches in light of this information?

something has happened to the listing-if you click on it, you cannot access....ebay seems to be aware of the fraud

Already reported. Any way to contact the buyers of the previous sketches in light of this information?

ebay could contact em if they were motivated to

Can sellers remove questions asked on their listings? Even if they can, it may be worth a shot to "ask a question" and then put "Buyer Beware: Fraudulent item", etc. as a warning.

All sellers in all listings have the ability to publicly or privately respond to an asked question rendering the inquiry public or private. This is done on a question by question basis.

There are reasons for answering publicly and privately.