• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

My father in law was a Captain on a destroyer in WWII. He was due to come into  Pearl Harbor th day of the attack. They radioed him and ordered him to stay at sea. He came in the next day. He has photos he took off the bow of his ship of the destruction. One lucky guy. He met my mother in law while at liberty in Australia. After the war, he moved there for many years after marrying her. My wife was born there and lived there until she was 15 when they moved back here. 

My uncle was a bomber pilot and flew 18 missions over Germany. Came back un-scathed luckily. 

Lots of military service in my family. I lucked out being just a little too young for Vietnam. 

My father was a B-29 bomber pilot in both WW2 and Korea, but was never sent into combat. The reason for that is an interesting story in itself that I'll save for some other time. Dad was proud of his time in the service, and regaled his children with many stories of his days in the Air Force.

Since this is a comics forum, one of the goals I have is to honor my father by collecting all of the comics showing a B-29 on the cover. When I achieve this goal I'll post them here on the forum.

--ElJay

14 hours ago, EBE said:

My father was a B-29 bomber pilot in both WW2 and Korea, but was never sent into combat. The reason for that is an interesting story in itself that I'll save for some other time. Dad was proud of his time in the service, and regaled his children with many stories of his days in the Air Force.

Since this is a comics forum, one of the goals I have is to honor my father by collecting all of the comics showing a B-29 on the cover. When I achieve this goal I'll post them here on the forum.

--ElJay

Great collecting interest!  Good luck acquiring them all.  Looking forward to seeing them when you do.

Digging through the junk pile the other day I found something I'd totally forgotton about. This was always a big hit on the bathroom wall in college. I would love to frame it for the bathroom in my current house but, well, I'm married. 'Nuff said. Enjoy, hopefully it brings a smile to your face!

crumbtommytoiletposter_zpsxaeudafe.jpg

38 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Digging through the junk pile the other day I found something I'd totally forgotton about. This was always a big hit on the bathroom wall in college. I would love to frame it for the bathroom in my current house but, well, I'm married. 'Nuff said. Enjoy, hopefully it brings a smile to your face!

crumbtommytoiletposter_zpsxaeudafe.jpg

One of a kind collectible, no subsets here i'm sure lol . 

Speaking of 'one of a kind' or out of the norm pieces (hijacking your Thread RM) with a funny animal fave: This issue of 'Squeeks' (Crimebusters pet sidekick) Show cases a cover strewn with open Cigarette packs and smoked butts . The kicker is the Tiger taking a mildness test for smokes of his choice. Of course Squeeks has pulled a Looney Tunes gag and replaced the cigarette with dynamite. That Lev Gleason! Certainly would not even be printed today. Man those crazy innocent 50's :D

Squeeks #4.jpg

4 hours ago, sagii said:

Speaking of 'one of a kind' or out of the norm pieces (hijacking your Thread RM) with a funny animal fave: This issue of 'Squeeks' (Crimebusters pet sidekick) Show cases a cover strewn with open Cigarette packs and smoked butts . The kicker is the Tiger taking a mildness test for smokes of his choice. Of course Squeeks has pulled a Looney Tunes gag and replaced the cigarette with dynamite. That Lev Gleason! Certainly would not even be printed today. Man those crazy innocent 50's :D

Squeeks #4.jpg

Never seen that either. Nice (thumbsu

Well gang, I finally drank the Kool Aide...

Way back at Terry's show I decided to "test the water". I talked to the wonderful Joeypost about the possiblility of slabbing a few books. What a gentleman. He spent a considerable amount of his time explaining the pressing and grading process to me. I really appreciate the education Joey! At the end of the conversation we both agreed on a promising candidate. So, I gave him this book and my info. It took quite a while but when you are dealing with the best, that is to be expected. 

Saturday, the door bell rang and it was my friend the mail man with a package for me to sign. Was a real surprise because I really wasn't expecting anything. Then I noticed the return address. With great anticipation and trembling hands, I carefully opened the package. As with everyone here, my eye jumped to the upper left corner. I had to look twice. 6.5? really? 6.5?. Both Joey and I both had it pegged at at least a 7. I, of course, had my rose colored glasses on and thought maybe a 7.5. But there it was, a 6.5. About all I can find is a couple small, very light thumb stains on back cover and 5 or 6 very tiny, none color breaking spine bends. Page quality is cream to off white. Book, is tight, flat, well centered, sharp corners, glossy. No tears or creases. About as nice a copy as I could imagine especially for a black cover. I've had the book longer than I can remember and have always loved it. Probably paid very little for it when I got it. So, I'm not crushed just a little disapointed I guess. I thought I was a fair grader but guess I've got a lot to learn. Here she is. Hard to tell from this bad photo but what do you think?

comcapamerica75cgc1_zpsaatiociz.jpg

comcapamerica75cgc2_zpsjry0h9fr.jpg

A pre-pressed photo

comcaptamerica75_zpstjsjyzju.jpg

As a point of reference, here is a copy of Flash #96 I recently bought that was cracked out of a slab (label included) from a very reputable dealer friend. Also graded 6.5. The spine has obviously a lot more wear and just doesn't have the sharpness and quality of the Cap. What am I missing here?

comflash96_zpshzpz6rve.jpg

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I don't have any. How can I get them? It might explain a lot.

Grader's notes should be free to you as submitter under a CGC membership. Ask your presser if he has access to the notes if the book wasn't submitted under your account. Otherwise I believe CGC charges $10 for the notes.

Edited by mrwoogieman
typo

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:
3 hours ago, mrwoogieman said:

CGC hates stains and downgrades substantially for them. What did the grader's notes say?

I don't have any. How can I get them? It might explain a lot.

I agree that the stains on the back cover probably explain the grade.  (And the Flash 96 seems like a rather weak 6.5, imo, with all that spine wear.) If Joey submitted the book under his account, he can get the notes for you.  Otherwise, you can enter the serial number here: https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/verify-cgc-comic.aspx and pay the $10.

26 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I agree that the stains on the back cover probably explain the grade.  (And the Flash 96 seems like a rather weak 6.5, imo, with all that spine wear.) If Joey submitted the book under his account, he can get the notes for you.  Otherwise, you can enter the serial number here: https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/verify-cgc-comic.aspx and pay the $10.

I have a CGC 8.0 of Fantastic Four #36 (deslabbed). Just for a slight dust shadow they downgraded a copy looking VFNM or better.
And if you look at the Spirou #1072 they graded (probably a copy I sold) as a CGC 8.5 you see staining… Not much consistent.

30 minutes ago, vaillant said:

I have a CGC 8.0 of Fantastic Four #36 (deslabbed). Just for a slight dust shadow they downgraded a copy looking VFNM or better.
And if you look at the Spirou #1072 they graded (probably a copy I sold) as a CGC 8.5 you see staining… Not much consistent.

Hammering staining seems to be a change made relatively recently -- the past couple of years, I think.  Of course, stains always received a downgrade but not to the extent that they do know.  At least, that's been my experience.  Dust shadows seem to get a bit more of a pass (although still typically result in a lower grade), even though they can actually be more unsightly than a small stain.

5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Hammering staining seems to be a change made relatively recently -- the past couple of years, I think.  Of course, stains always received a downgrade but not to the extent that they do know.  At least, that's been my experience.  Dust shadows seem to get a bit more of a pass (although still typically result in a lower grade), even though they can actually be more unsightly than a small stain.

In my experience I agree 100%. I have had books that appeared 8.0 come back 5.0 with no other major negative notes other than a stain (and this was a stain on the inside cover that was large but barely noticeable). 

11 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

In my experience I agree 100%. I have had books that appeared 8.0 come back 5.0 with no other major negative notes other than a stain (and this was a stain on the inside cover that was large but barely noticeable). 

Note to self, don't send any "cat pee" MCLaughlin Mile Highs in to be graded...