• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

Alrighty then.As you can see on most of my posts, Photophuckit is playing games with me. (Probably others too). Seems like the $40.00 a year I was paying isn't enough for these gougers. They now want $400.00 a year for giving me the privlige of using their crappy site now! Guess what? I ain't paying. I have literally hundreds of photos on their site. No way, am I spending the time to transfer them all some where else.

The drag and drop feature here worked well it seems. This might be my only way to post photos in the future. I do have all my photos in a file on my desktop but this won't work when I'm away from my pc. I just don't have the energy or drive to start over again. So, this thread's life expency is a little shady right now. Too bad because, like Marty, I'm an old geezer and just have better stuff to do than fight with these hosting sites.

We'll see...

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Alrighty then.As you can see on most of my posts, Photophuckit is playing games with me. (Probably others too). Seems like the $40.00 a year I was paying isn't enough for these gougers. They now want $400.00 a year for giving me the privlige of using their crappy site now! Guess what? I ain't paying. I have literally hundreds of photos on their site. No way, am I spending the time to transfer them all some where else.

The drag and drop feature here worked well it seems. This might be my only way to post photos in the future. I do have all my photos in a file on my desktop but this won't work when I'm away from my pc. I just don't have the energy or drive to start over again. So, this thread's life expency is a little shady right now. Too bad because, like Marty, I'm an old geezer and just have better stuff to do than fight with these hosting sites.

We'll see...

I'm paying what you're paying, I think. At any rate, it's much less than $400 and my photos still post ... for now. :wishluck:

5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

The drag and drop feature here worked well it seems. This might be my only way to post photos in the future.

I'm in the same boat, Bob - I view the annual $400 demand as a form of extortion because Photobucket is one of the worst sites on the internet (very poor service, avalanche of ads, etc.).

Obviously PB's business model hasn't worked for them so far, yet this is a big step backwards... I say screw 'em.

Edited by sacentaur

3 hours ago, sacentaur said:

I'm in the same boat, Bob - I view the annual $400 demand as a form of extortion because Photobucket is one of the worst sites on the internet (very poor service, avalanche of ads, etc.).

Obviously PB's business model hasn't worked for them so far, yet this is a big step backwards... I say screw 'em.

I agree that this is extortion and I will no longer use photobucket

right now I'm saving each page of my journal on to my computer before pb pulls the plug on me - that way I'll have it for me at least

after that I'm not sure what I'll do - putting your journal on a site you don't control has the same issues -- a couple years from now CGC may realize it's too expensive to host all these photos and start charging - probably not $400 per year like pb though

still it makes me think about whether I want to do a journal anymore

PB is receiving serious negative press about this.  They are destroying a decade of work of millions of people (they say they have over 100 million subscribers).  Some are saying they are destroying the internet with their black screens.  You have to wonder if PB will stay in business even if they change their $400 ransom policy (yes, they are being compared to ransomware).   I'm tempted to just cancel my account, but I'm hoping they will change their policy to a reasonable price, so I can save my journal. 

Edited by n2wdw

49 minutes ago, n2wdw said:

PB is receiving serious negative press about this.  They are destroying a decade of work of millions of people (they say they have over 100 million subscribers).  Some are saying they are destroying the internet with their black screens.  You have to wonder if PB will stay in business even if they change their $400 ransom policy (yes, they are being compared to ransomware).   I'm tempted to just cancel my account, but I'm hoping they will change their policy to a reasonable price, so I can save my journal. 

Yes, it really sucks. I'm in your boat about keeping this thread going. Like your journal, you know how much work it is. When the new boards came up, I had to go in and repost a lot of photos. I have done it a couple of times. I just don't think I want to do it still another time. I only need PB for third party posting. I have all my photos on my home computer and backed up as well. PB allows me to post when I'm not home. By the time I get home, I usually have a lot of other things to do. We can still post photos direct so you don't have to dump your journal. I enjoy your journal a lot and would hate to see it go. I'm in the same boat. I doubt this thread would be of any interest without photos. I will sit tight with PB and hope they come to their senses but don't feel too optomistic about them...

On 7/5/2017 at 2:57 AM, sacentaur said:

Photobucket not only is blocking new links, they are blocking previously posted links as well.

What a way to endear yourself to your customers... 

Should be named Photosucket instead 

I got that same message recently when relisting and listing some books on ebay, but I just clicked around it and was able to import pictures as usual. I haven’t seen that message anywhere else. I was able to post a few pics over in the Silver Forum a few hours ago with no issues.

Go to the first page of this thread and see what my photos look like. It's been that way for over a week. I get the same thing when I try to post any anywhere. Nothing has changed. I think if I tried to re-load those at the beginning, it would be the same.