• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

Now, He didn't do the cover. I just am posting it for refrence but here is an early pre-EC horror story. I say I'm not fond of ACG but the first 10 of Adventures into the Unknown and Forbidden Worlds have great covers and usually stories by Williamson and others. I'm probably wrong, but I believe this might be the only story Feldstein did for ACG.

comadvsunknown3a_zps1irvp8nz.jpg

comadvsunknown3b_zpsxhj0zdp5.jpg

No love for Albert B Feldstein huh? How come his stuff costs so much everytime I want to bid???

OK, how about this? Here is a Lady Luck pinback button. This is from the late 1946. It was used for a school class function for a high school in PA. It was an unlicensed piece although it was done well. I have numerous examples of these PA area high school buttons. Seems like I see more Lil Abner and Milton Caniff characters than any others. These were made in VERY small quantities maybe 75-100. This is the only one I have ever seen and one of my favorites.

ladyluckpin_zpsayy92ppu.jpg

Speaking of the Quality Comics group how about this photo? It is a large 11" x 14" photo of the reception area of the office. Note the comics sitting around on the coffee tables. There is also a display of some on the wall that look like maybe original art or printer's proofs probably all from the same month. I'd like to visit and get some freebees. Not sure of the year but I am guessing late 1940's. I'm sure one of you eagle eyed boardies can tell us what month and year. Pretty unusual huh?

qualitycomicoffice1_zpsmhqufnuz.jpg

qualitycomicoffice2_zpskncjmafu.jpg

qualitycomicoffice3_zpsn3peijjj.jpg

Speaking of the Quality Comics group how about this photo? It is a large 11" x 14" photo of the reception area of the office. Note the comics sitting around on the coffee tables. There is also a display of some on the wall that look like maybe original art or printer's proofs probably all from the same month. I'd like to visit and get some freebees. Not sure of the year but I am guessing late 1940's. I'm sure one of you eagle eyed boardies can tell us what month and year. Pretty unusual huh?

THAT is cool.

Do you know the provenance of the pic?

Robot Man,

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I just finished reading the 67 pages of your thread. I'm a younger generation collector that is just now getting into GA books. Your tread has been the best addition to these boards since I started lurking around many years ago. So many times, I have read treads that seem to exist only to belittle the new guy or the uninitiated. These last 67pages have really made me feel great about the hobby that I love - thank you. Also, thank you to all the other contributors to this thread who have conducted themselves in a cordial manor. I will be checking back often. The vast knowledge that is being shared here is amazing. To me, this is the best thread ever.

Killer collection! :headbang: It's brought back some wonderful memories of simpler times. :cloud9: I know that remaindered comics were openly sold through "five-and-dime" type novelty shops back in the 1950s, and I was curious if you've ever run across any of the display boxes. Many thanks!

th_Box-1a.jpg

th_PS03-cvr.jpg th_SA35-cvr.jpg th_Sensation109-05.jpg th_UNC009-COBB.jpg th_WTOF002-COBB.jpg

Killer collection! :headbang: It's brought back some wonderful memories of simpler times. :cloud9: I know that remaindered comics were openly sold through "five-and-dime" type novelty shops back in the 1950s, and I was curious if you've ever run across any of the display boxes. Many thanks!

th_Box-1a.jpg

I never saw any boxes like that...usually they were just stacked in a cut open cardboard

box and you would route through them, trying not to tear more off the cover. Thanks

for sharing.

mm

Robot Man,

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I just finished reading the 67 pages of your thread. I'm a younger generation collector that is just now getting into GA books. Your tread has been the best addition to these boards since I started lurking around many years ago. So many times, I have read treads that seem to exist only to belittle the new guy or the uninitiated. These last 67pages have really made me feel great about the hobby that I love - thank you. Also, thank you to all the other contributors to this thread who have conducted themselves in a cordial manor. I will be checking back often. The vast knowledge that is being shared here is amazing. To me, this is the best thread ever.

Aww shucks cupny, it's a pleasure. You are hard core to read through this whole mess. Thanks for being here and welcome to the boards! It is my hope and many others here that younger people pick up the GA torch for us. GA books are the best. So much variety and lots of genres to choose from. They don't have to be necessarily expensive. Just find some thing in your price range and dive in. The waters fine! And please post on these boards often. There's a lot of good people and knowledge to be had over here in GA.

Hi Robot Man

Out of curiosity do you have a Superman Krypto Ray Gun? Gotta love those atomic era ray guns.

Why as a matter of fact, I do. I'll try and dig it out this weekend when I have a few minutes and post it. (One of my favorite Superman items!) Stay tuned...

qualitycomicoffice1_zpsmhqufnuz.jpg

qualitycomicoffice2_zpskncjmafu.jpg

qualitycomicoffice3_zpsn3peijjj.jpg

Great stuff..thanks

th_Box-1a.jpg

th_PS03-cvr.jpg th_SA35-cvr.jpg th_Sensation109-05.jpg th_UNC009-COBB.jpg th_WTOF002-COBB.jpg

I've seen variations of those in pictures but don't have any. Some times remaindered comics were packaged in bags and sold at like 3 for 15 cents as well.

By, the way, love your books at the bottom of your post. Coverless! I love coverless books too. I've got to figure out a way to post some of my stuff in one of those rotating photos. But you've gotta find a copy of the one in the middle that has a cover. One of my favorites!

Back in the mid 1960's Archie comics tried a little unsucessfully to revive their Golden Age MLJ characters. Some of them appeared in Archie titles or their own. They even invented some new ones. Trouble was, Archie readers didn't care. This is the only non-comic item I know of with the reboot of MLJ characters. It is dated 1966. It is a standard roll the dice and move to the finish line game. Not rare, but I don't see it too often.

superherogame1_zpsgswvhve2.jpg

superherogame2_zps4hvaveja.jpg

Are you now or have you ever been a member of the Weird Tales Club? Even though pulps were aimed a adult or older readers many couldn't resist the urge to have their own clubs. There are more than you would think. (Look inside people!).

This was Weird Tales' only entry into the forray. No badge or button (too bad), just this bad membership card. Probably didn't get a lot of members because I only know of 3 and I look for this stuff..

weirdtalescard_zpsed471464.jpg