• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

Flea markets sucked today. That's how it goes. I had such a good day last week. They don't happen like that often. This the 4th Sunday and there are two very small antique flea markets. I often score at one that I go to where I have no competition but came up empty this time. There was rain in the forecast so it probably kept some sellers away.

Anyway, here is a nice group of horror books to tickle your optic nerve. Since the weather was a little dicey, I took some photos and should have come cool stuff for you in the next few weeks.

comhorrorcomicgroupshot_zpsn0dzkbsl.jpg

OK, it's that time of year when our minds start thinking of spring. The days get longer, the flowers blooming, girls wearing less clothing and America's pastime. So, in honor of Spring Training, I thought I'd post some baseball stuff. Batter up!

I got the first 5 issues of this book from the "Paul" collection. All were marked except for this one which is my favorite.

combaberuth_zpstusmuqt1.jpg

Here's a classic. A note, upper right corner "Rex" wrote his name. This book came from the best estate sale I ever went to. The whole attic was filled with his toys, comics, books ect. He had polio and in the late '40's and early '50's he was a poster child for this disease. He was given two of everything. He usually played with only one of the toys and the other usually stayed un-used in the original box. There was everything. Vehicle toys, Cap Guns, Playsets, Western stuff, Character toys and over 1,000 comic books of all genres. I bought them all sight unseen. Had a wonderful few weeks going through them. He wrote his name on them all but kept them in very good shape. The usual western, funny animal stuff but also tons of superhero, horror, crime, jungle ect. It was fun to pick up a pile and flip through them not knowing what the next book would be. I sold most of them pretty quickly but kept about 75-100 for myself. The lady threw in a Donald Duck tells about kites for free because she thought it was just pages from another comic. Oh, and being one of the first people in my wife and I got a ton of toys as well. Made 5 trips to the car. A friend of mine who didn't know any better got the baseball cards. A big box including a lot of 1952 Topps. Yes, there was the Mantle rookie. When I pointed it out, he about wet his pants. I even got the Forbidden Planet Robby the Robot battery toy. So, if you ever see the name "Rex" or "Rexford Parker" on a comic, think of me.

comyankees_zpsaoeh7rdf.jpg

And because, at least I love toys, here is a 1920's tin baseball game. I love how the players have a "bench" right on the field. There is also a football one that matches as well that I also have, but who cares football is over until next year. Time to celebrate the small ball! Sorry the photo is a little "blown out" but I took the photo in the sun. The colors are much more rich inside...

baseballgame_zpsg9nslb1s.jpg

I don't know. I've had it a long time. Would love to upgrade it but this will have do untill I can find a better one. As you see, I've got more than a few lower grade books. I'm of the school that any copy is better than no copy. Sometimes, you just have to take what you can get.

Here's a classic. A note, upper right corner "Rex" wrote his name. This book came from the best estate sale I ever went to. The whole attic was filled with his toys, comics, books ect. He had polio and in the late '40's and early '50's he was a poster child for this disease. He was given two of everything. He usually played with only one of the toys and the other usually stayed un-used in the original box. There was everything. Vehicle toys, Cap Guns, Playsets, Western stuff, Character toys and over 1,000 comic books of all genres. I bought them all sight unseen. Had a wonderful few weeks going through them. He wrote his name on them all but kept them in very good shape. The usual western, funny animal stuff but also tons of superhero, horror, crime, jungle ect. It was fun to pick up a pile and flip through them not knowing what the next book would be. I sold most of them pretty quickly but kept about 75-100 for myself. The lady threw in a Donald Duck tells about kites for free because she thought it was just pages from another comic. Oh, and being one of the first people in my wife and I got a ton of toys as well. Made 5 trips to the car. A friend of mine who didn't know any better got the baseball cards. A big box including a lot of 1952 Topps. Yes, there was the Mantle rookie. When I pointed it out, he about wet his pants. I even got the Forbidden Planet Robby the Robot battery toy. So, if you ever see the name "Rex" or "Rexford Parker" on a comic, think of me.

comyankees_zpsaoeh7rdf.jpg

I just bought one of these on Ebay to surprise my dad. He's not a comic book guy, but he was 10 when this came out, and he's a huge Yankees fan. I'm dying to find out if he saw it as a kid.

Love this one "Murder at the World Series" with a skeleton cover. Great story and nice art here.

comtruesportv310_zpssmuhluqc.jpg

I've been looking for one of those for a long time...it seems to be fairly difficult to find...

That's an interesting name on the book. In the WW2 internment records, a Tomoyuki Tanaka born in 1932 and from Santa Barbara was interned at the Gila River (Pima, Sacaton) Arizona camp in 1942.

The Gila River internment camp was closed in November 16, 1945. Tanaka would have been 14 years old when he owned that comic and out of the camps.

Interestingly, Tomoyuki Tanaka (1910-1997) is also the name of the film producer who created the Godzilla series in 1954.

Well, wonders never cease...I just looked at ebay and bought a True Sport Picture Stories V3#10 for $20...I'm stoked...yeah... :whee:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRUE-SPORT-PICTURE-STORIES-Vol-3-10-1946-/201285689945?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2edd8fe259#shpCntId

Scroll down...

See what you do here, Bob? :D

Edited by tricolorbrian

Well, wonders never cease...I just looked at ebay and bought a True Sport Picture Stories V3#10 for $20...I'm stoked...yeah... :whee:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRUE-SPORT-PICTURE-STORIES-Vol-3-10-1946-/201285689945?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2edd8fe259#shpCntId

Scroll down...

See what you do here, Bob? :D

Nice score Brian! But...seems like I might have a rare "interment camp" copy...

And hey, kick a guy because he types too fast and forgot a coma???