• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

Whatever happened to that guy that used to advertise in the price guide for Superman stuff? Claimed to be the world's greatest Superman collector...

A couple guys come to mind. Gary Coddington had a massive collection of Superman stuff. He actually let me read his Action #1 as well as many other key issues. He died in his early 30's of kidney failure. The other guy that comes to mind is Danny Fuchs from New York. He also had a massive collection of every Superman item you could think of new or old. He is still around I believe but kind of slowed down (probably got everything)!

Whatever happened to that guy that used to advertise in the price guide for Superman stuff? Claimed to be the world's greatest Superman collector...

A couple guys come to mind. Gary Coddington had a massive collection of Superman stuff. He actually let me read his Action #1 as well as many other key issues. He died in his early 30's of kidney failure. The other guy that comes to mind is Danny Fuchs from New York. He also had a massive collection of every Superman item you could think of new or old. He is still around I believe but kind of slowed down (probably got everything)!

Mark Edmonds has everything Superman

Danny Fuchs was the one I was thinking of. Didn't know Coddington died...he sold my VG Action #6 for me in 1980. It's probably been pressed and is now in a plastic holder that says 6.0 on it. I got $300 for it back then. It took him 6 months to find a buyer...wow... lol a little background on the Action 6 because I know you don't care:

I found it in a Utah antique store in 1973 and paid $30 for it. $30 was guide back then and I was NOT happy that I had to pay guide for an Action that didn't even have Superman on the cover, just a stupid gorilla...and Jimmy Olson was only called "office boy". That sucked...End of story... :sumo:

Edited by tricolorbrian

I used to buy from Danny Fuchs in the early days of ebay.

He always had some killer raw comics and other neat items. I would buy raw from him a lot of times as my source for CGC material.

The Hulk mug that sits on my desk in the picture below came from Danny over 10 years ago. It's part of my 18 year junk obsession. lol

Hulk%20Mug_zpsrrssbkzi.jpg

Edited by lhcomics

And while I am doing Superman, here is the incredibly rare 1942 Superman sheet music. I was dragged to a doll show with my wife a few years ago. A lady had a pile of sheet music and I was bored so I looked in the pile where I found this. Needless to say, I jumped all over it. I have only seen one other since I got this.

supermansheetmusic_zpsbjketwyg.jpg

I've never seen this either. Those doll shows have been lucrative for you!

Indeed. Mark has an amazing collection.

And while I am doing Superman, here is the incredibly rare 1942 Superman sheet music. I was dragged to a doll show with my wife a few years ago. A lady had a pile of sheet music and I was bored so I looked in the pile where I found this. Needless to say, I jumped all over it. I have only seen one other since I got this.

supermansheetmusic_zpsbjketwyg.jpg

I've never seen this either. Those doll shows have been lucrative for you!

Hey as a married man it was a win win. Made the little woman happy and went home with a score for myself... There's a lot of other ways to get good stuff than just HA auctions...

My wife is an antique dealer. Like most antique dealers, she considers my "collectibles" swill. But she often comes home from an estate sale with some pretty cool swill for me. A few months ago I came home to find about 30 nice Friction House comics on the dining room table that she picked up for me cheap. She's a keeper even if she doesn't appreciate the "cool stuff"!

Danny Fuchs was the one I was thinking of. Didn't know Coddington died...he sold my VG Action #6 for me in 1980. It's probably been pressed and is now in a plastic holder that says 6.0 on it. I got $300 for it back then. It took him 6 months to find a buyer...wow... lol a little background on the Action 6 because I know you don't care:

I found it in a Utah antique store in 1973 and paid $30 for it. $30 was guide back then and I was NOT happy that I had to pay guide for an Action that didn't even have Superman on the cover, just a stupid gorilla...and Jimmy Olson was only called "office boy". That sucked...End of story... :sumo:

Think where you would be today, if you had kept your comics instead of selling them! :baiting:

And think where I would be today if I had held on to my finds! :cry:

That wasn't the worst one I sold...I sold an X-men 1 in about 9.2 the same year...but i really didn't like the Action 6...after all, one of the stories was just in B&W...what's up with that? lol But, it is a good thing I've held on to the vast majority of my books...

Edited by tricolorbrian

OK, I know you want the other stuff but because comics are my first love I gotta put up some more today.

Here are 3 "Cookvilles". I like this collection. Kind of like "Pauls". Was a large collection and well marked. Not recognized by CGC. I have maybe a dozen or so only. Maybe I like the "Pauls" so much because I was there when it was found and got in to pick up a lot of good ones. I got to see most of them and got the back story first hand from the buyer. I do like "Cookviles" too.

I like this one because it is one of only a few that has Leroy Mackie (the original purchaser's name) on it.

comairboycookville_zpsg5z22xop.jpg

Indeed. Mark has an amazing collection.

He has been selling off his comics.