• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

Planet. Almost all issues are great. I don't own one I haven't read and liked. Hard to find the best cover but this would be it for me. I love the tied up girl looking right into your eyes off the newstand just begging you to come rescue her from these freaks. Very compelling cover and not many quite like it. Got this at the Brimfield antique show in a pile of cool GA years ago. This is one I really need to upgrade both structerly and color wise but I'm happy to have this one for the time being.

complanet34_zpszxxsupok.jpg

Wings. Annother title I as a rule don't like all that much but there are some great ones. The later ones had a lot more GGA/Bondage covers. Kinda hard to pick but I settled on this one. Love the look on her face and the totaly absurd situation. Come on "Ace of the A-Bomb Squadron"? Also, a fat 52 page issue make it a stand out. Again, one of the nicest color strikes I've seen on this issue. As a bonus, I had Bob Lubbers sign it inside on his story...

comwings94_zps354sujsr.jpg

Rangers. A great title as well. I prefer the issues before it went "Western" with Firehair. I bought all of those mostly for the Baker art. Lot of WWII covers with women in bad situations. VERY hard to pick a favorite but this one was the one of the moment. Lots of going on here. Great babe and what's with the hero socking the excutionuer? Just use that smoking 45 and get it over with! Again, stunning color!

comrangers21_zps862kbjr4.jpg

Fight. Probably my favorite Friction House title. The whole run like Planet is great. So many outstanding covers. I could pick a dozen in a heartbeat. Great transition from war covers to jungle covers. The one title I have most of. As hard as it is to pick a single cover from this title, this one is really my hands down favorite. I have upgraded this one several times. The cover really tells a story with the downed plane, pilots in the shack, the look on the Japanese soldier's face and of course the toppless native girl. You know all hell is going to break out any second. I have a high grade copy locked up so my reader will have to do right now.

comfight35_zpsl2h0zrqe.jpg

"Friction" House (I like the nickname) were not distributed in Oz - like almost every other GA book.

So, despite having no nostalgic attachment to any of the titles, as soon as I saw this one I had to have it.

Why? Glorious "steampunk" look to it, and she's no damsel in distress. Just lovely Maurice Whitman art.

Stories don't disappoint either.

Planet71712x1033.jpg

It was a cold and rainy weekend so I did some box diving in the house. I delved into one of my favorite publishers Fiction house or as I like to call them "Friction House". I have a ton of them. I mostly collect them for covers or Matt Baker art. I'm pretty complete as far as I want to go. I'm still missing some Jumbos to finish off the Baker run. I need quite a few Planets as well and just buy any I don't have. I might start on some of the real early ones that I don't have now. I think I will post my favorite cover in each main title.

Here is a cool ad I found in a 1940's magazine advertising "The Big Six"

fictionhousead_zpsc2cdas9i.jpg

Only have a couple FICTION HOUSE titles as they were always available in the BARBER

SHOP to read and there always seemed to be a long enough wait to wade through them all.

mm

I only have a few Fiction House, but here are my favorite covers of what I've got:

Another absurd Wings cover...why is she tied to a pink airplane?

14myh6x.jpg

Hooded guys...yeah...

b5fe4k.jpg

"There are pictures within pictures, for those who know how to look" SOTI

4fu4ub.jpg

Classic war bondage...

erdf07.jpg

That's a big snake...

168idd0.jpg

This one needs no explanation...

2qbajhl.jpg

Edited by tricolorbrian

"Friction" House (I like the nickname) were not distributed in Oz - like almost every other GA book.

So, despite having no nostalgic attachment to any of the titles, as soon as I saw this one I had to have it.

Why? Glorious "steampunk" look to it, and she's no damsel in distress. Just lovely Maurice Whitman art.

Stories don't disappoint either.

Planet71712x1033.jpg

Nice! Tha's a good one too. I love the detail in her space suit and the aliens are a kick too!

I only have a few Fiction House, but here are my favorite covers of what I've got:

Another absurd Wings cover...why is she tied to a pink airplane?

14myh6x.jpg

Hooded guys...yeah...

b5fe4k.jpg

"There are pictures within pictures, for those who know how to look" SOTI

4fu4ub.jpg

Classic war bondage...

erdf07.jpg

That's a big snake...

168idd0.jpg

This one needs no explanation...

2qbajhl.jpg

She's tied to a pink plane because she's a girl? That was an honorable mention to the Wings choice. Rangers #17 as well as #26 were close runner ups. And you listed 3 Fights. I told you that was a hard choice. I could have picked at least a dozen. Nice color on the #31 by the way! Buy more Friction House they are great!

Killer collection! :headbang: It's brought back some wonderful memories of simpler times. :cloud9: I know that remaindered comics were openly sold through "five-and-dime" type novelty shops back in the 1950s, and I was curious if you've ever run across any of the display boxes. Many thanks!

th_Box-1a.jpg

Sorry for the large images. The 5 cent sign was inside each box along with a dozen 3/4 books.

RemainderBox.jpg

RemainderSign.jpg

Yeah, I know what you mean. They have gotton a little pricey especially in upper grades. I can barely afford them any more myself. If you are not real grade crazy, you can pick up some here and there a reasonable prices. Most are not all that rare just popular.

How about some space toys today? This cool little space tank is tin litho and battery operated. It drives around the floor and bumps into stuff then reverses it's motion. The antanne rotates and the driver lifts and lowers his hands. The back lights light up as well. From the 1950's and made in Japan.

spacetank_zpsgcvablb7.jpg

Here is the Tom Corbett Space rifle in the box. Wind it up and it makes a siren sound. It also still shoots a 4" spark out of the barrel. I got this at the "Rex Parker" estate sale I mentioned earlier. I grabbed the gun off the table. A lot of things there were two but this was the only one of these. A few minutes later my wife came up and said "there are a whole lot of toy boxes under a table in one of the bedrooms". Sure enough there were about 50 empty boxes. The people having the sale didn't think they were anything so they pitched them under a table. These were the original boxes for the toys they were selling! I asked the lady who was having the sale, how much? and she said $2.00 each. I bought them all. I noticed who was buying what toy and sold them the box on the front lawn. In some cases, I bought toys from the buyers and paired them up with the box I already had. Unreal that they could be so clueless. And they were "professionals". Just didn't know toys...

tomcorbettrilfebox_zpsenexi4ba.jpg

Last one today is the Television Spaceman made by Alps in Japan. From the late 1950's. Not particularly a rare one but tought to find this colorful box. It has a lot of actions when you push down the top antanne. It walks, eyes light up and spin, pistons behind the eyes go up and down, ears light up and best of all, the TV picture in his chest rotates to show scenes from annother planet. It is pretty large too. A real fun toy!

robottv_zpstpfcczpy.jpg