• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for High Grade Action and Superman #1-10

52 posts in this topic

When you are typing in your post click "image" under the Instant UBB Code and copy (I use Photobucket, so copy the URL) and paste (make sure you right click it in when you paste it, other wise it won't work) the image in the pop up box, then hit the complete button to preview it and one more time to submit.

When you are typing in your post click "image" under the Instant UBB Code and copy (I use Photobucket, so copy the URL) and paste (make sure you right click it in when you paste it, other wise it won't work) the image in the pop up box, then hit the complete button to preview it and one more time to submit.

Thanks! As I understand it, however, I need to have a site somewhere that I can store the photo in order to paste it into the message itself, correct? As my website is still under construction, I will have to rely on some of my more astute internet comic colleagues, such as yourself, to assist! Attached is the Showcase #4 CGC 9.2.

This is the second highest graded copy. Metropolis has the CGC 9.4, but is not currently selling it. Motor City believes they have a possible CGC 9.6 copy, and plans to have it graded this May at their convention. We'll see!!

589a8da0e1c17_696170-Showcase-4_rev.jpg.cae6f2fb7073b635157e45e1b2cb556d.jpg

Thanks! As I understand it, however, I need to have a site somewhere that I can store the photo in order to paste it into the message itself, correct? As my website is still under construction, I will have to rely on some of my more astute internet comic colleagues, such as yourself, to assist! Attached is the Showcase #4 CGC 9.2.

I think I need to go change my shorts. foreheadslap.gif That is an amazing book!

Attached is the Showcase #4 CGC 9.2.

Nice book! Did you buy it directly from Mark Wilson?

Yes, through an auction on E-bay last May. It was about $62,000. Frankly, I was surprised to have won. I thought for sure it would go for a lot more, although Heritage failed to sell it on at least two occasions when they were trying to reach $85,000 - $100,000. Of course, not like this kind of money is always available. The book is only going up in value, so I'm not concerned! It sure is a beaut!

Whats the paper coming out from the bottom of the book, or is that just a miswraped cover?

That's the microchamber paper that CGC inserts to help absorb damaging gasses the comic emits.

That comic's so rich it's got gas!!

Esquire,

If you don't mind me asking are you a veteran collector, new, just came into some money? Welcome to the boards.

I don't mind at all. Thanks for asking.

I have been collecting for more than 30 years, since I was a little kid. I used to sell at some shows on Long Island in 1985 and in Albany, NY in 1990. Always to feed the habit. I then dropped out for a number of years, but have come back strong over the last few years. In order to "feed" my now insatiable habit for the better and more expensive books I am selling once again (or else my wife would kill me!). I am dealing mostly in high grade or key Golden Age. I have a couple of ads coming out in the next price guide and my website should be online by April (www.esquirecomics.com).

Some of the books I have include Showcase 4 CGC 9.2; More Fun 52 CGC 5.5; Green Lantern (GA) 1 CGC 9.0; Green Lantern (GA) 2 CGC 9.0; Batman 2 CGC 9.2;

Batman 5 CGC 9.0; Batman 6 CGC 9.2; All American 16 CGC 4.5 (currently for sale on comiclink); Superman 2 CGC 8.0; New Book of Comics 1 CGC 8.0; Detective 31 CGC 5.0; Submariner 1 CGC 6.5; Comic Cavalcade 1 CGC 8.5; All Flash 1 CGC 8.0;

Leading Comics 1 CGC 9.0 (Rockford); Star Spangled 1 CGC 8.5 (Rockford).

Many of the high grade Golden Age books currently for sale in the auction on www.comiccollectors.net are mine.

I'm always looking to purchase key GA books, particularly in high grade. I just started using the boards and look forward to interacting with my fellow collectors and dealers.

As the username would indicate, I am an attorney. I handle very high-profile cases against governments, especially our own. Anyone interested in knowing about my background should just google my name.

Mark S. Zaid

hi mark and welcome to the boards........... thumbsup2.gif

if you don't mind my asking, i'm curious as to why you'd be buying Superman #1 in a lesser than 8.0 grade and superman #'s 3-10 in an 8.0 grade but selling your superman #2 in an 8.0 grade?? i saw it for sale on Marnin's site..........do you have another one??? 893whatthe.gif

hi mark and welcome to the boards........... thumbsup2.gif

if you don't mind my asking, i'm curious as to why you'd be buying Superman #1 in a lesser than 8.0 grade and superman #'s 3-10 in an 8.0 grade but selling your superman #2 in an 8.0 grade?? i saw it for sale on Marnin's site..........do you have another one??? 893whatthe.gif

For the obvious reason - the #1 in such a high-grade would be too costly for me at this time. As I recall, a CGC 7.5 sold a few months ago for something like $275,000. If my wife ever caught me spending that much on one book, you would never see a post here again from me unless my laptop plug reaches into the grave!!! Of course, if I can prove to her I can buy and sell to self-sustain the habit, which is why I started Esquirecomics.com then, yes, I will buy that 8.0 and above!

Also, even though I am now officially a "dealer", the fact of the matter is I am really a "collector/dealer". I am sure most of you have experienced that feeling where you just simply want to own a particular book and the condition is secondary. Books like Superman #1, Action #1, Det #27 give me that feeling. The Showcase #4 CGC 9.2 I have is a beautiful book and will no doubt be a fantastic investment. However, I didn't feel the urge to simply own a copy and go out and buy a CGC 5.0. I would for one of the key books, such as I did for the All American #16. Make sense?

And, yes, the Superman #2 currently for sale on Marnin's site (www.comiccollectors.net) is mine. Frankly, I am in no rush to sell it as I love the book!

Mark

Attached is the Showcase #4 CGC 9.2.

Nice book! Did you buy it directly from Mark Wilson?

Yes, through an auction on E-bay last May. It was about $62,000. Frankly, I was surprised to have won. I thought for sure it would go for a lot more, although Heritage failed to sell it on at least two occasions when they were trying to reach $85,000 - $100,000. Of course, not like this kind of money is always available. The book is only going up in value, so I'm not concerned! It sure is a beaut!

Overstreet has a 9.2 undervalued at $41,000 so I wonder by how much they will adjust this years value? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Smoking book. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks! As I understand it, however, I need to have a site somewhere that I can store the photo in order to paste it into the message itself, correct? As my website is still under construction, I will have to rely on some of my more astute internet comic colleagues, such as yourself, to assist!

Mark, you can use THIS website to store your photos. Go to the "Testing 123" section under "General Discussion." If you need more help once you get there, email me and I'll walk you through the process.

And by the way, welcome to the boards...neighbor! (I live right outside DC in Montgomery County). hi.gif

Joe

Hi Mark

Great to see you posting!

You have some very nice books and your desire to get the early Supermans in high grade is a wise but difficult move. They are RARE in high grade. I have some nice issues, Superman #8 CGC 9.4 and #10 CGC 9.4 but you already know my website. However, take a look again when you have the time.

Take care,

Mark

PGC Mint Home page

(I am in the Washington, D.C. area. I don't mind traveling)

Welcome to the Boards! thumbsup2.gif

Those are some amazing books you have, Mark. The Showcase #4 is a stunner. Congrats! I hope you plan on holding onto that book for awhile.

Above, you note that you're in DC/Metro area. There are quite a few of us that post here that live in the vicinity. We should try and meet up sometime at one of the local shows (Tysons Corner or the new one in the city). There is one on Sunday, January 30 @ the Metro Center Marriot that some of us will be attending and then go out for some lunch & drinks if you are interested. One of the regular posters on these forums (FlyingDonut) knows just about every dealer in the country, it seems. He could probably help you locate some of the books you are looking for.

Additionally, I would recommend getting in touch w/ Mark Nathan of Cards, Comics, & Collectibles in Reisterstown, MD (the best comic shop in Maryland). He also runs the Baltimore ComiCon, so he has tons of contacts as well.

Best of luck finding those books and hope to meet you someday. thumbsup2.gif

-Chris