• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Be careful in dealing with Mycomicshop.com !!!

221 posts in this topic

Let me explain:

I apologize if I wasn't very clear in my previous post but I will attempt to clarify the issue that has upset me very much. This has nothing to do with the 3 percent premium that the company makes. It's only reasonable that they need to make money and I'm all for that.

I bought two books that came out to about $750 US. I paid for them in Canadian funds which came out to about $900. But that was not the problem. The problem was that I called customer service and told the lady who picked up the phone that I did not realize I had the money in US funds and realized this only after I paid with my credit card. I simply asked her if I could send a certified check/money order for the same amount and once she would receive it only then would the Visa transaction be reimbursed back to me.This would not cost the company anything but would have saved me the 20% exchange rate which would have been about 150 Canadian. She refused and told me that there was nothing the company could do to help me .

If that is the case, can't you just go down to your local exchange and convert that US currency to Canadian and be made whole?

Let me explain:

I apologize if I wasn't very clear in my previous post but I will attempt to clarify the issue that has upset me very much. This has nothing to do with the 3 percent premium that the company makes. It's only reasonable that they need to make money and I'm all for that.

I bought two books that came out to about $750 US. I paid for them in Canadian funds which came out to about $900. But that was not the problem. The problem was that I called customer service and told the lady who picked up the phone that I did not realize I had the money in US funds and realized this only after I paid with my credit card. I simply asked her if I could send a certified check/money order for the same amount and once she would receive it only then would the Visa transaction be reimbursed back to me.This would not cost the company anything but would have saved me the 20% exchange rate which would have been about 150 Canadian. She refused and told me that there was nothing the company could do to help me .

So it says they only take CC and Paypal payments, secondly take that $750 US convert it to CDN and boom you have your $900 back or 20% conversion "fee"

Jim

Beat me to it

Yoddler : I had no problem paying with Paypal. She was adamant that once you pay for something it's a done deal. That I would have to return the books and repurchase them which is a really silly idea because I could lose them to another buyer. It's a simple transaction that I've done for others who bought from me on Ebay and it only took a minute or two. What's the big deal really?

Funny,Mycomicshop is a board member.I've personally never dealt with them,but I've heard nothing but stellar reviews. I would make sure about your facts before you try to degrade his reputation here.

Oh really? hm

Incidentally, what you're describing can, in some jurisdictions, be money laundering.

Dodgy person gives ill-gotten money to legit company. Says "oh, actually, can I have the money back by check/cheque". Dodgy person has therefore swapped ill-gotten money for nice clean check/cheque from legit company.

Obviously I'm not saying this is what you were trying to do. But I can understand why some companies might not be happy with the arrangement you were suggesting (as opposed to, say, reversing the credit card charge).

I don't see how you are saving the conversion fee, unless this cheque is made from an account with US funds. Also, assuming they would take another form of payment not mentioned, it would have to be a certified money order or bank draft, which is essentially cash.

The_Investor:

The person you are mad at is yourself.

Mycomicshop did nothing wrong here, they don't accept the form of payment you offered after your credit card payment.

Lesson learned, be very aware of the exchange rate for currency conversion, be very aware of your payment format before you click that button.

This thread should be pulled.

Let me explain:

If that is the case, can't you just go down to your local exchange and convert that US currency to Canadian and be made whole?

He is likely to make more Canadian now than when he bought it.

Jim:

The idea is a good one but the problem is that I'd have to pay a fee to exchange the money from one currency to another. Unfortunately we always have to pay the piper.

Thanks for giving me your feedback. This transaction really got me fired up today.

Wouldn't the 1st question be: Do you accept certified checks/money orders? If the answer is 'No', then you'd know. Same with Bitcoin, wampum or green stamps.

Right? Customer service can't rewrite company policies on the fly.

I take payment in Alf pogs but other policies might vary..

Maybe MYComicshop will see the post and help you out. I don't see this as really big deal either. I think the Lady could not grasp what you were saying. I din't at first either. Good Luck.

Exactly. It isn't Mycomicshops problem. They got paid in a format they accept. Why should they take a payment form they do not accept to save The_Investor currency exchange?

Wouldn't the 1st question be: Do you accept certified checks/money orders? If the answer is 'No', then you'd know. Same with Bitcoin, wampum or green stamps.

Right? Customer service can't rewrite company policies on the fly.

I take payment in Alf pogs but other policies might vary..

:censored: I wish I knew that earlier....

I simply asked her if I could send a certified check/money order for the same amount and once she would receive it only then would the Visa transaction be reimbursed back to me.This would not cost the company anything but would have saved me the 20% exchange rate which would have been about 150 Canadian. She refused and told me that there was nothing the company could do to help me .

Money order scams have been a problem for years. MCS probably doesn't accept them because they don't want to deal with the potential fraud. They accept a form of payment that 99% of the people doing business on the internet use - and your request of tracking your payment and then issues a reimbursement I'm sure seems like a lot of footwork for one single payment.

Abe_simpson.gif

Yoddler : I had no problem paying with Paypal. She was adamant that once you pay for something it's a done deal. That I would have to return the books and repurchase them which is a really silly idea because I could lose them to another buyer. It's a simple transaction that I've done for others who bought from me on Ebay and it only took a minute or two. What's the big deal really?

Ah! Maybe their inventory/accounting system is a pain to make changes to or they've gotten burned numerous times in the past. Either way if you have any questions about payment, probably best thing to do is sort it out *before* you pay -- you don't really have much leverage to make a request after the fact. Hopefully you got a good deal on the books you bought to make up for this!