• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics #2 CGC 9.4

383 posts in this topic

The book was likely given a chemical bath to make it "look" better. Clearly it worked, but it is certainly restoration, whether the "label" says it or not. Cleaning the cover does not actually or necessarily "conserve" anything, but it has indeed "restored" it to a more pristine state.

Like I said... I don't know the details behind this specific book... and I agree that if the book has been "whitened" chemically... that's a far cry from being what I mean by the term "cleaned", and CGC would be doing a disservice by conflating the two.

My definition of cleaned is a process that lifts off soiling without altering the underlying paper or colors, and in such a case... which is probably not even do-able in many instances... I would not consider the book inferior in any way... maybe even superior to copies that haven't been similarly rescued from future deterioration.

PLOD is a PLOD is a PLOD. (shrug)

No, big difference between conserved and a frankenbook.

restored is restored....call it what it is....sugar coated rest....

So you make no distinction between a book with a cleaned cover and tear seals, and a book that has piece replacement / married pages / etc?

Do you also make no distinction between a blue label 2.0, and a blue label 9.4?

Must be nice to live in such a black and white world. Those shades of gray can be so tiresome.

The age of apocalypse is upon us as I actually agree with Mitch :o

I look at this as yet another one of CGCs attempts at applying an intent to the grade.

Full disclosure, I own a Batman 15 I have posted before, 9.2, cover cleaned and pressed

8000 post and it only took me 11 years and I am proud to say 2 of those post actually had value :acclaim:

So you make no distinction between a book with a cleaned cover and tear seals, and a book that has piece replacement / married pages / etc?

Do you also make no distinction between a blue label 2.0, and a blue label 9.4?

Must be nice to live in such a black and white world. Those shades of gray can be so tiresome.

Different degrees of restoration but still restoration. I value restored books with less restoration higher than books with more restoration.

I thinlk a lot of high grade blue might have something done to it.

How would someone like me thats been doing this for 40 years or CGC know if a book has been cleaned unless they saw this done.

I have took warm water on rag on dirt stains in the past and it cleaned a lot .

Is this Restored or can anyone but me ever know this.?

I took a spine roll out with 100lbs on top for weeks and it worked.

I took it apart page by page and put whole page in water than put in news paper sheet by sheet and put book back and you could never tell unless you saw this done.

The whole thing is hard to tell everyone has there own opinion unless you seen the book cleaned hard for ME who has seen people restore and clean books and after clean it smells like it did before and this is 20 years after.

The only thing i cant get a grip on is the prices books are going for now.

1997 Wondercon there was 2 Batman 1s Restored for around 8gs and never sold.

Bob B had Tec 31 Restored 8.0 under 7500

Harley Yee had Action 1 Restored 9.0 for 80 gs

Superman 1 Restored 5.0 20gs never sold

I sold my Action 7 Restored VF think i got 8gs Now in the last 15 years everthing went double and i cant see myself paying that price . Thats why i dont have spoon bad time to get your love collection books back.

I will say this. The books i collect i will take in any shape or condition and and i love low grade retored or not just to have a copy works for me. (thumbs u

It is clear that there are a number of people to whom any touching of a comic book with the intent to improve will garner the same response as an 18th century Arabian Sheik leaning that his new bride was deflowered.

To them, a dot of color touch is like hearing there was a dot of "wiener touch" -- meaning somebody rubbed his wiener on the book (no doubt while laughing maniacally.

So, they can't even fathom defining a difference between "slight wiener touch' or "professional, removable wiener touch." They can't even look at the book without thinking of how someone wiener once defiled the book.

On the other hand, intentional markings on books -- inventory codes, dates, etc are acceptable. Sun shadows, no problem. Pieces missing is better than pieces replaced, because it means there was no wiener involved.

It is clear that there are a number of people to whom any touching of a comic book with the intent to improve will garner the same response as an 18th century Arabian Sheik leaning that his new bride was deflowered.

To them, a dot of color touch is like hearing there was a dot of "wiener touch" -- meaning somebody rubbed his wiener on the book (no doubt while laughing maniacally.

So, they can't even fathom defining a difference between "slight wiener touch' or "professional, removable wiener touch." They can't even look at the book without thinking of how someone wiener once defiled the book.

On the other hand, intentional markings on books -- inventory codes, dates, etc are acceptable. Sun shadows, no problem. Pieces missing is better than pieces replaced, because it means there was no wiener involved.

If it has wiener touch than its Restored.

If it has glue or tape its a blue wiener.

Thanks learn everyday.

:roflmao:

So if a copy of AC2 can look this sharp, not much of a stretch to think the issue that came out one month before may also.

hm Spill it! :popcorn:

The 9.0 Action 1 that was auctioned a few months ago had apparently had its cover cleaned at some point.

Regardless of this book, if CGC can detect that the cover was cleaned, they ought to put a note on the label saying HOW it appeared to be clean. Matt Nelson does a dry cleaning of almost everything and that's okay with me. others use a bath that raises the fibers and dulls the gloss. It seems to me that the current designation is a bit too broad. Some cleaning is universal and some cleaning is a PLOD.

I have no insight on where the current book falls.

Regardless of this book, if CGC can detect that the cover was cleaned, they ought to put a note on the label saying HOW it appeared to be clean. Matt Nelson does a dry cleaning of almost everything and that's okay with me. others use a bath that raises the fibers and dulls the gloss. It seems to me that the current designation is a bit too broad. Some cleaning is universal and some cleaning is a PLOD.

If the book got a chemical bath that will land it in a PLOD. That is almost certainly what was done here.

-J.

If it has wiener touch than its Restored.

If it has glue or tape its a blue wiener.

Thanks learn everyday.

You've got it!

If it's blue, the word "glue" just means glue.

If it's purple, the word "glue" means pee-pee.

Same goes with all other descriptive words. If it's a blue label, the words mean what it says in the dictionary. If it's a purple label, you swap out the crucial word for "pee-pee" (making it a pee-pee label of death). Once you know the code you know that what it's saying is "small amount of pee-pee" on cover or "pee-pee residue on spine."

A dry cleaning is not ever noted so if it says cover cleaned, it's safe to assume it was some form of aqueous bath.

..... no expert here..... but the first cleaned book I ever bought was also a Batman 15 and it led me to look into it without a whole lot of luck. What I did learn was that some abrasion is also involved and my Bat 15 did have one small area where there was slight color loss. The process will also often shrink the cover slightly. The book was still very glossy and really sold me on PLODS with cleaning only. This was probably 8 years ago and even then, these type of books were already fetching half guide while other PLODS were lucky to get 20%. Another one like this that I acquired was a Cap 59...... this is one of those Timely's that was printed on matte stock (no gloss) and was eventually traded to a dealer (with FULL disclosure, natch...) at full guide for their personal collection. I don't mind slight resto, if disclosed, on a book..... and cleaning, from an aesthetic point of view, bothers me even less. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

This just sold today on ComicLink.

How much more/less should it have sold for if it had no tape, but cover cleaned? The tape just sounds so much worse, especially how it says "Tape on Entire Spine....", and it got blue label....

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fnewitems%2Easp%3F_SORT%3DYES%26Type%3D%26f1%3Di%2ELastUpdate%26ODire1%3DDESC%26f2%3Di%2ETitle%26ODire2%3DASC%26f3%3Di%2EIssueNumber%252C%2Bi%2EVolumeNumber%26ODire3%3DASC&id=1044525

This just sold today on ComicLink.

How much more/less should it have sold for if it had no tape, but cover cleaned? The tape just sounds so much worse, especially how it says "Tape on Entire Spine....", and it got blue label....

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fnewitems%2Easp%3F_SORT%3DYES%26Type%3D%26f1%3Di%2ELastUpdate%26ODire1%3DDESC%26f2%3Di%2ETitle%26ODire2%3DASC%26f3%3Di%2EIssueNumber%252C%2Bi%2EVolumeNumber%26ODire3%3DASC&id=1044525

Wow my 27 was a fair/good unrestored in the 80s paid 1300 Had it restored back then to a 4.5 E .

I lost a lot of money haveing this book Restored would be lucky to get 50gs now but if left unrestored 200gs easy no tape just lot of age