• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR (May-2018)
5 5

1,498 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

Does IW suffer from the buffet problem? 

(I havent seen it yet so Im asking) 

Based on what some of you are saying it's the old issue of trying to cater to too many tastes, leads to middling results for all. 

Or by trying to give some attention to too many characters leads to no meaningful development for any. 

Too many plot points moving slightly forward, makes it feel like the overall plot barely moved... 

and so on. 

Is that the vibe?

Not for me. Given the challenges they faced with making this film, I think they did an absolutely brilliant job. It never once felt jumbled or out of sorts. You have to remember going into this that its really a film about Thanos more than it is any of the individual Avengers. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

Just came back and wow!

Lives up to the hype.

(worship)

I truly have to say these characters have become real special to me.

The last time I cared about characters like this was the original Star Wars characters in the 1980s when I was a kid.

Marvel really did a good job making us care about these characters like they are old friends.

:golfclap:

IMO they were able to keep the multiple plates spinning fairly successfully.  Thanos was the focus and that was a smart strategy.  i don't know if this movie would work for the casual fan but for the devoted fan base I think they did a respectable job.

I went this morning for the first time and I have to say that 10am on a Tuesday, when everybody else is at school or work, was a GREAT time to go. Only 8 people total, my son and I included in that 8, in the theater and $5 tickets. :cloud9:

Oh... good movie too. (thumbsu

Spoiler

Over at the University of Iowa, the college welcomed one of its most famous alumni for a talk. Joe Russo studied English at the university long before he tapped into the MCU, and the director appeared for a school-sponsored Q&A today where he met with students. Now, those lucky enough to attend the forum have shared what Russo told them, and it sounds like the director had something to say about that opening scene in Avengers: Infinity War.

As you will remember, the film begins with a terrifying scene aboard the Asgardian refugee vessel. Thor and the Asgardians are attacked by Thanos who is looking for the Tesseract and the Space Stone it holds. The Mad Titan seems to go so far as killing all of the remaining Asgardians who fled their home at the end of Thor: Ragnarok. Other characters like the Valkyrie weren’t addressed at all, but a student who sat in on Russo’s collegiate panel said the director addressed those characters’ fate.

According to the Redditor, Russo confirmed Valkyrie did survive Thanos’ ambush. The director did not say how, but he did say a portion of the Asgardians also survived. Russo said escape pods ferried those survivors away from the battle, giving the Asgardian race the chance to escape extinction. It is very possible the Valkyrie was charged with overseeing that evacuation since most of the Asgardian refugees were simple civilians.

And, if you are curious about Korg, then prepare to be a bit let down. The Redditor said they asked Russo whether the fan-favorite character made it out of the ambush alive. The director said he wasn’t “willing” to reveal Korg’s fate just yet, so fans will have to keep their fingers crossed for the hero a little while longer.

5 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Ragnarok was great because it took the traditional and played with it in a way GoTG cant. GoTG from out of the gate established its brand with Star Lord dancing on his way to the stone, so all 3 times we have seen them its been the same story line/techniques and devices. I LOVE GoTG don't get me wrong, but its an established path.

Ragnarok took the established and turned it on its ear. It gave us an actually humor first story-line and character set. It was going above the genre and taking it apart. It was closer to Deadpool than GoTG. The Master was amazing, the humor was unforced and slightly insane. It gave you unexpected responses to normal comic book situations. From Thor begging Stan after the bravado to not cut his hair, to the shocking him when he goes into epic hero mode. Nothing was sacred, nothing was off limits, and nothing followed the standard formula. Man they started off by just running the warriors 3 through with swords without warning...they closed on absurdity. And between all that humor that perfect timing of music and theme drove the action. Cutting to Immigrant song also in fights just were perfect. The entire 70's comic vibe of graphics and soundtrack was intentionally and lovingly created by people who truly understood the era's aesthetics and "The Kirby Look".

Anyway, I liked it a lot for multiple reasons.

Additionally, the Kirby-esque guards of The Master were just breathtaking and geeky perfect.

That’s an interesting take.  I’m in the “It didn’t work for me” camp with Ragnarok though.  I didn’t even finish it.  From the opening scene to the time I finally turned it off (maybe halfway), all I could think was they’re trying to hard to be Deadpool.

17 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

That’s an interesting take.  I’m in the “It didn’t work for me” camp with Ragnarok though.  I didn’t even finish it.  From the opening scene to the time I finally turned it off (maybe halfway), all I could think was they’re trying to hard to be Deadpool.

I enjoyed it. But I still do not like how freely they tossed away established characters as part of the Thor lore just for the sake of showing Hela was taking down Asgard, and bringing it back to its origin with her as the leader now.

The Warriors Three had two characters killed without much effort or thought, and then Hogun at least was given a little more screen time, and a hero's death. But even then...

11 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

As if that changes anything at all. Your still watching the movies. As for your feelings on the movies, your posts certainly don't come off the way yur describing here at all, at least not to me. Either way, my advice would be to not get so defensive and take things so personally. Again, I wasn't attacking your opinion at all. I was simply making a very common sense suggestion if you really didn't like what Marvel was doing with the MCU. 

Where exactly am I being defensive??

My opinion is just that, and I couldn't care less who agrees or doesn't.

Interesting your only take away from my post was I watch them later. Never said it was a difference. Or that the movies are bad.

I'm done this with thread.

2 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

I totally get where you are coming from with Ragnarok. The opening scene was cringe worthy. 

Some are asking "what happened to Korg or Mieke or Valkyrie in Infinity War"?

...I say "who cares"?

Overall, I really enjoyed Infinity War. Looking forward to Part II...I think it will view better as one long movie too.

Once I had all the Lord of the Rings trilogy, I loved when I was able to sit and watch those all in one day.  I think that will be fun when Avengers 4 is done.

Definetely an epic movie and I liked it.  Not nearly as funny as Thor but what funny they had in it worked.  Lots of people were confused at the end.  I’d give it an A- just because it can’t compare to A movies like Avatar.  I’ll probably see it again as a red box movie but definetely not in the theaters.