• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does distributor spray on the cover bring down the grade ?

20 posts in this topic

Amount

Placement

If the ink spread between two books and some paper was transferred over.

I had an ASM that was structurally a 9.4 or 9.6 but had so much blue spray that it received an 8.0 from the graders. Had it just had some ink along the top edge I thing it could have seen the NM designation, but the ink had run down into the spine and had splashed onto the back cover. The picture below gives you an idea of the severity.

AT5BC_zpsa591f8ec.jpg

Skypinkblu may have some advice,answers for you.I believe she had extensive dealings with overspray comics...may even be a thread somewhere if I remember correctly.

You newbs need to learn how to use the search function. :baiting:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7450464&fpart=1

:hi: Porc

Had never seen such a bad case of distributor spray :o

Thanks for the help !

Joe Koch had many such books in the 80s.

Those examples do not look like distributor spray but comics that had ink applied to them after they did not sell on the newsstand. Primarily blue or purple ink to 15 cent and 20 cent Marvels. That was the marking used to identify they were returned. I've seen pallets of books like that "at Kochs warehouse". Back in the day he sold them as uncirculated inked copies.

Skypinkblu may have some advice,answers for you.I believe she had extensive dealings with overspray comics...may even be a thread somewhere if I remember correctly.

You newbs need to learn how to use the search function. :baiting:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7450464&fpart=1

:hi: Porc

Thanks for the link, very informative.

Unfortunately, I ended up with a Neal Adams 'Tec that has the remaindered spray along the top. It's not nearly as bad as the copies pictured, there's just a bit of ink splashed on the edge of the top of spine but the top of the pages is completely covered in red ink.

I probably should have returned it when I purchased it, but at the time I just brushed it off as a bad case of distributor ink overspray. Too late now. I've been debating about whether to submit it for grading but held off because I'm not sure how CGC would handle it.

But even if it came back in the grade I purchased it in - 9.0 - I still don't know if I'd be happy with it. It is kind of a turn-off. Even though I don't feel like spending the extra money, I've contemplated upgrading with a copy with better eye-appeal. Shame, because other than the ink it's a pretty nice copy.

Here is another example...... this book is structurally similar to many 9.0's that I've deslabbed ...... and CGC certified it as a 7.5..... so they do seem to downgrade for a bad example. If it's just a tiny bit that is typical for those types of books I've never noticed any downgrade for that. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

BB23.jpg

Here's the book I was referring to. The red wash bleeds into the top edge of the front and back cover (back looks pretty much the same as the front) and there's some splash-over to the top page edge and spine edge. Wonder what CGC would make of it.

DetectiveComics409_zps4b3a885e.jpg

I'm not sure if he's responding to me or not. He may be trying to show me the grade assigned by CGC to a book with a similar amount of remainder spray to my book.

Trying to discern the grade is like looking into the sun. 8.something....?

Here's the book I was referring to. The red wash bleeds into the top edge of the front and back cover (back looks pretty much the same as the front) and there's some splash-over to the top page edge and spine edge. Wonder what CGC would make of it.

DetectiveComics409_zps4b3a885e.jpg

On a separate note: What a great cover (thumbs u