• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Color-touched ASM 50 for sale on eBay...dishonest seller alert!

44 posts in this topic

Wanted to warn those of you who buy from eBay...I recently bought an ASM #50 that looked to be in the VF/VF+ range. Upon receipt, it did appear to be in great shape...BUT...even to my amateur eye it was obvious it had color touch along the right front edge...not evident in the auction pics (at least not to me) but really noticeable upon close inspection, especially looking at the inside front cover where it bleeds through.

Anyway so I notified the seller of the color touch, and he accepted the return and refunded my money. He didn't apologize or respond, just sent a refund through Paypal.

So no biggie, he didn't have a lot of feedback and it's certainly possible he really didn't know the book was restored. And no I didn't leave negative feedback, I really don't believe in doing that when the seller makes it right.

However...on a whim I wondered if he had relisted it and checked today. He does in fact have it relisted with the exact same description as before, and still no disclosure of the color touch that I told him about.

Buyers beware! :mad:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331450454028?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT#viTabs_0

Did you check inside the cover for evidence of CT? Run it with a black light? From the images it doesn't seem to CTed

You can see it on the cover's right edge underneath the N of the logo, and likely along the black line of the spine as well. (But yeah, very hard to spot from the pic unless you're looking for it.)

Thanks for the heads-up, IF!

No black light needed...obvious bleed-through on inside cover, and you could actually feel it on the edges, someone used some kind of paint-like substance that had a raised texture different from the normal cover finish.

Still time to leave negative fb?

No black light needed...obvious bleed-through on inside cover, and you could actually feel it on the edges, someone used some kind of paint-like substance that had a raised texture different from the normal cover finish.

Interesting! Completely disgusting actions by the seller :( Thanks for the warning.

Honestly, I can see the color touch from the scans, I wouldn't have gone near it for that kind of money. At what point is it up to the buyer? He says right there that he isn't a professional grader. Is there no room for this buyer to think that you just had buyer remorse? If he doesn't even know what color touch is, why would he hang himself on something that a remorseful buyer told him?

Devil's advocate stuff I know, but it's clear as day that this book has been touched up if you look directly above the bottom staple. I guess I can't just throw around 5 bills without looking closely.

One of you guys should send a message to him asking if there is any color touch on the book...would be interesting to see if he will lie outright...or tell the truth?

Did you leave negative fb for him?

I just sent him this question:

"Hi there - this looks like a nice book, but it appears to have some color touch on the right side, near the Comics Code badge. Do you know if this book has any color touch, or any other restoration?"

Let's see what he'll say.

-slym

I just sent him this question:

"Hi there - this looks like a nice book, but it appears to have some color touch on the right side, near the Comics Code badge. Do you know if this book has any color touch, or any other restoration?"

Let's see what he'll say.

-slym

(thumbs u

I also sent him a message thanking him for refunding my money and "reminding" him that he must have "forgotten" to mention the color touch that I pointed out to him.