• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green Hornet Comics Run
1 1

55 posts in this topic

I agree there are several great covers in the Green Hornet series. Some seem like a steal in price compared to Captain America Comics especially when you see how few there are on the census.

+1

I always thought Green Hornet was cool because of that gangster thing he got going! (thumbs u

Stuntman, Boy Heroes, Strange Stories and the Flying Fool were all lost during the Harvey implosion.

16121210250_bcc7ba7ef3_b.jpg15688755873_937fd6d144_b.jpg

Ads are from Black Cat 1 and 4. The inventory was reduced by 4 or 5. Flash Gordon and Bruce Gentry were also crossed off the list. How many others?

I never knew that Nutty was from Harvey. I thought it was Nedor. The Clown issue that I purchased recently was part of the Harvey family too.

Edited by BB-Gun

Harvey focused on the franchise heroes like Joe Palooka, Terry and the Pirates and Green Hornet (and horror comics). I like to imagine that the nifty Strange Stories cover by Fuji and the Schomburg Boy Heroes cover are still in someone's vault. Stories were printed in other comics or smaller versions were sent to subscribers.

16307724402_09329a85e3_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

Here's one from the November 1945 GREEN HORNET #27 that promotes...

"SOON-TWO SWELL NEW COMICS...BUT LET'S BEAT THE JAPS FIRST!"

15678473454_9ac422b8fb.jpg

mm

They roared ahead with the Black Cat but many of the others were forgotten and stories were published elsewhere.

Strange Story turned into several comics like Witches Tales, Tomb of Terror and Chamber of Chills.

11970486456_3464206030_o.gif

and even the Black Cat became a horror comic.

Maybe they held back a few publications due to the war effort

but the superheroes were phased out in favor of other publications

and they didn't try again until the sixties.

Powell's art was great in every genre, western, horror, romance and superheroes.

Thanks to someone for making the gif. Maybe it was flea...

Edited by BB-Gun

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to show off a little run that I've been collecting of Green Hornet Comics Schomburg (and War) covers. I think these covers are very underrated and a few of them are quite scarce in the marketplace. Anyway, they give me a lot of pleasure and the hunt was very fun so I thought I would share them.

The first is #15....it's debatable whether or not Schomburg did this one, but it is a cool cover nonetheless

I own the original art to this one. It was made very clear when I bought it that it was not Schomburg, but rather Avison with possible assists by Jerry Robinson. Perhaps Schomburg had a hand in the layout, but it can't be verified.

Harvey focused on the franchise heroes like Joe Palooka, Terry and the Pirates and Green Hornet (and horror comics). I like to imagine that the nifty Strange Stories cover by Fuji and the Schomburg Boy Heroes cover are still in someone's vault. Stories were printed in other comics or smaller versions were sent to subscribers.

Thanks for posting the ads guys. The Harvey implosion is a story I have never read. It's hard to imagine how much money was sloshing into the offices of those publishers during the warr and how quickly everything went bust afterwards! I've read the Timely version of that tale but not so much the Harvey version. Of course similar tales are seen in business year after year as fads and trends are exploited to squeeze out every thin dime. I mean that Harvey line up alone would break the piggy bank of any kid trying to collect all those titles back in the forties. Not to mention the competition from DC, Timely, Archie and the other small players. I know I would have trouble figuring out where to put my allowance; but I like to think I would still have been a DC guy with some Captain America Comics purchased for a change!!

Those house ads seem more similar to the DC house ads of the day rather than the Harvey House ads to come. I wonder if there was a transitional ad style?

Great stuff; sorry to have gotten off topic on the Green Hornet thread but it looks like he was considered an important character in the Harvey pantheon so he was likely making them a few bucks.

By the way, who owns the rights to the Green Hornet today?

On a little bit of an off topic but related; in the last GH movie and TV show they used a Chrysler Imperial as the basis of the Black Beauty. There was a guy up the street from me who had a collection of four 60's vintage Imperials. They were mostly always covered but once in awhile he would be moving them around and I would catch a glimpse. He had a green two door that I thought was the nicest looking (a Green Beauty??) Anyway, he either put them in storage or sold them about a year ago as his driveway is now Imperial free! Anyway, it always made me think of the Green Hornet when I would walk past.

Thanks again for the posts.

I mean that Harvey line up alone would break the piggy bank of any kid trying to collect all those titles back in the forties. Not to mention the competition from DC, Timely, Archie and the other small players. I know I would have trouble figuring out where to put my allowance; but I like to think I would still have been a DC guy with some Captain America Comics purchased for a change!!

It was tough, with an allowance of 25 cents plus whatever I could make shining shoes in the

warm weather, it was truly a hard decision when making a selection. I too stayed with mostly

DC's as they were the easiest to find...but I couldn't pass up any Number One issues.

mm

Thanks for posting the ads guys. The Harvey implosion is a story I have never read. It's hard to imagine how much money was sloshing into the offices of those publishers during the warr and how quickly everything went bust afterwards! I've read the Timely version of that tale but not so much the Harvey version. Of course similar tales are seen in business year after year as fads and trends are exploited to squeeze out every thin dime. I mean that Harvey line up alone would break the piggy bank of any kid trying to collect all those titles back in the forties. Not to mention the competition from DC, Timely, Archie and the other small players. I know I would have trouble figuring out where to put my allowance; but I like to think I would still have been a DC guy with some Captain America Comics purchased for a change!!

Those house ads seem more similar to the DC house ads of the day rather than the Harvey House ads to come. I wonder if there was a transitional ad style?

Great stuff; sorry to have gotten off topic on the Green Hornet thread but it looks like he was considered an important character in the Harvey pantheon so he was likely making them a few bucks.

By the way, who owns the rights to the Green Hornet today?

On a little bit of an off topic but related; in the last GH movie and TV show they used a Chrysler Imperial as the basis of the Black Beauty. There was a guy up the street from me who had a collection of four 60's vintage Imperials. They were mostly always covered but once in awhile he would be moving them around and I would catch a glimpse. He had a green two door that I thought was the nicest looking (a Green Beauty??) Anyway, he either put them in storage or sold them about a year ago as his driveway is now Imperial free! Anyway, it always made me think of the Green Hornet when I would walk past.

Thanks again for the posts.

With Harvey, I've often wondered whether it was a change of editor or publisher that led to the cancellations because they wiped out most of the S&K books really quickly. So either sales of early issues were disastrous or they decided to change direction for other reasons.

In my day it was mowing lawns, turning in Pop bottles and my paper route. Once in a while my folks would buy me a couple. My grandpa was a soft touch. I'd go visit him and he would take me to the cigar store. I'd always leave with a stack. He even bought me my first MAD magazine which started me down this dark road...

I mean that Harvey line up alone would break the piggy bank of any kid trying to collect all those titles back in the forties. Not to mention the competition from DC, Timely, Archie and the other small players. I know I would have trouble figuring out where to put my allowance; but I like to think I would still have been a DC guy with some Captain America Comics purchased for a change!!

It was tough, with an allowance of 25 cents plus whatever I could make shining shoes in the

warm weather, it was truly a hard decision when making a selection. I too stayed with mostly

DC's as they were the easiest to find...but I couldn't pass up any Number One issues.

mm

Snagged this from one of the recent Comiclink auctions. Great Simon(& Kirby?) cover: Early Horror cover pre the official genre. Trapped girl, witch, cob webs,melting candle, crystal ball predicting the captives impending doom. Dungeon, bondage, human chained watch dog, with a pup? lol

And our hero, arriving in time(we hope) standing in spotlight. Watch out for the trap door!!!

Green%20Hornet%20Comics%208_zpshknouqaz.jpg

Snagged this from one of the recent Comiclink auctions. Great Simon(& Kirby?) cover: Early Horror cover pre the official genre. Trapped girl, witch, cob webs,melting candle, crystal ball predicting the captives impending doom. Dungeon, bondage, human chained watch dog, with a pup? lol

And our hero, arriving in time(we hope) standing in spotlight. Watch out for the trap door!!!

Green%20Hornet%20Comics%208_zpshknouqaz.jpg

Great book. Does the little guy in the orange shirt on the right kinda look like Kirby? hm