• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will history repeat itself. Hm

163 posts in this topic

Seems like most of the time when I sell a big chunk or something really key out of my collection for something more important , it backfires.

Sold superman 1 cgc 6.0 to try to finance the 6.0 action 1 years ago and ended up with neither....

Sold action 1 cgc 6.5 to try to buy my family a dream beach house and lost "sealed and best" bid by 4k

Sold a superman 1 and batman 1 for "cheap" bc I needed to raise some capital quickly (turns out I had better options in hindsight) and probably left 100k on the table due to my haste.

Sold my centaur collection bc I got impatient (used funds to buy a car) and some I will likely never own again reasonably.

Now yet another "opportunity" faces me that would likely require me to sell the majority of my collection (I no longer have big $ keys to sell, quality over quantity) and I'm left wondering ...."should I?"

hm

Now yet another "opportunity" faces me that would likely require me to sell the majority of my collection (I no longer have big $ keys to sell, quality over quantity) and I'm left wondering ...."should I?"

hm

Are you opening up a strip club? :banana:

Seems like most of the time when I sell a big chunk or something really key out of my collection for something more important , it backfires.

Sold superman 1 cgc 6.0 to try to finance the 6.0 action 1 years ago and ended up with neither....

Sold action 1 cgc 6.5 to try to buy my family a dream beach house and lost "sealed and best" bid by 4k

Sold a superman 1 and batman 1 for "cheap" bc I needed to raise some capital quickly (turns out I had better options in hindsight) and probably left 100k on the table due to my haste.

Sold my centaur collection bc I got impatient (used funds to buy a car) and some I will likely never own again reasonably.

hm

I have no advice for someone so eurdite in the ways of commerce. All I know is that that Sups 1 was freakin' sweet.

hm

Boadies get 1/2 off lap dances :idea:

I would ask myself, if I am REALLY retired...... do I really need an opportunity ? If this opportunity will make you happier than the collection ? Do you really love the collection or the thrill of turning it up ? It may be such that you are addicted to "hustling" a deal ....which many of us are to some degree or another. You're one of the most astute people I know..... the fact that you're seeking advice from us raises flags for me..... suggesting that you should make doubly sure that you don't LET history repeat itself. Either way you'll bounce back..... with or without the "opportunity". One of the most difficult challenges we face in life is learning to recognize our own psychological triggers..... we often are in denial about ourselves.... blind to our own deepest motives. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

You have given a few examples of the downside...

hopefully you have had many upside examples that have outweighed those over your career

don't beat yourself up , your comic savvy is better than 98% of the rest of us.

regardless of all the comic book movies and optimism on these boards we all know things cannot keep going up , if we are lucky we may get another generation of comic book collecting being lucrative but in the long run an 18 trillion dollar deficit with no end in sight will change everything (our poor grandkids)

All the top advisers say DIVERSIFY!!

hm

Boadies get 1/2 off lap dances :idea:

:banana:

...having the patience to sell when the comics are worth the most money in the marketplace :)

Most people try to do that, but there's some guesswork involved. I think we're just transitioning from a seller's market into a buyer's market. (Naturally books with movie tie-ins will buck the trend.) If I'm correct, that would mean G.A.tor should sell his books soon or wait for the next seller's market, which might be four or five years away.

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn here, but am I the only one here that's getting more than a little annoyed with this History bloke. I mean, seriously, History... you keep giving us the same stories over and over... and what's with all the same endings... who are you, Perry Mason? Give us something different just once in a while... shake it up a little, you see what I'm sayin'?

I agree it is becoming a buyers market and no one can know everything but there are always clues and hints as to what will be the next thing and as for guesswork it's speculation but it can pay off if you follow the rumors correctly

hm

Gosh knows I've done similar things in the past, and usually regretted it.

Recently I sold off a large chunk of my collection to buy our dream house in the hills. It was the right decision for us. We love the house, but I do miss some of those books. And the short term prospects of getting similar ones back is not likely. But, the long term prospects look more optimistic. The real challenge for me is "Do I even want to?"

And it isn't even so much a matter of price. A lot of the books that have historically been my favorites now cost as much, or more, than an average house. Whether or not I can afford to buy them isn't the issue with me. The issue is are they worth that to me?

So ask yourself the same question. Is what you are contemplating doing with the proceeds of the sale of your collection truly worth the cost? Both monetary and non-monetary costs should be considered

This sounds to me like a job for CAPTAIN HINDSIGHT!!.... :acclaim:

16177526079_099cdd44e6_c.jpg

Like I said in your Christmas Carol you are a good guy Rick you already have everything a guy could ever want I would think...No matter what you choose best wishes for you!! Oh and dibs on your under copy of AMAN #22 :grin:

hm

if this isn't a first world problem, I don't know what is. :baiting:

just kidding Rick, all I can say is I have sold many of my books/OA/etc. to fund other things, cars, guitars, other comics, etc. however 90% of the stuff I sold would go for 2-3 times more if I sold them today, (AF15, Fight Against Crime 20, Superman 14, 17, 24, Fight Comics 31, among others). and I miss having all of them, but as I try to remember "you can't have it all" so you just have to decide if this new opportunity is worth pursuing. good luck.

... some I will likely never own again reasonably.

This phrase is far more dignified than the many other ways one could phrase this. (thumbs u

You site an opportunity.

Ignore this if it is too personal -- but are you exchanging your books for another physical object or a business investment opportunity?

One would seem to be a shift in the collecting game, the other -- a game changer.