• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ThankYou!

21 posts in this topic

Do you ever bid on an item, in Comiclink, Ebay, Heritage or any other auction and right after you place the bid you think "Why the *spoon* did I bid on that?"

It happens a lot to me, then I start hoping someone outbids me. I got lucky tonight and 3 books I bid on at Comiclink got sniped at the last moment. I don't know who you are out there, but "Thank You"!

I was bidding on Weird War last night and I'm thinking, "I don't collect Weird War, why am I bidding on this?" They just seemed like a barging. It then becomes a fine line between collecting and hoarding. I was so happy when I got out bid.

I once entered a high maximum on eBay for what I thought was a low-interest book that no one in their right mind should even challenge. I just wanted to make sure I got the book. Lo and behold, someone beat out my max bid. And I was thinking the very same thing: THANK YOU!

But, not long after, I got a 2nd chance offer from the seller stating that the buyer didn't want it.

So, my thoughts were, either the buyer also put in a ridiculous bid thinking the same thing as me, that no one in their right mind would pay 3X what it's worth. Or, the seller was trying to get the maximum buck out of me.

This was nearly ten years ago, and I wound up making a counter-offer on the book, kinda in between my max and what I thought it was really worth. Still felt dirty in the end.

But the lesson learned for me on these auction sites was to be less of a gunslinger and just to let things go if it's something I'm iffy about.

For me it's mostly when I don't do my full look over before bidding. On a second or third viewing I notice a defect I missed when I put in my bid and suddenly I think "God, I hope I don't win this!" The feeling of relief when I get outbid on it is almost as good as the feeling I get when I win a book I actually want.

Or the other case is when I put in a low (60% of GPA) tracking bid on a high value key and up until a day or two before bids close I am leading and thinking "Great price, now what will I have to sell if for some reason my bid holds up."

For me it's mostly when I don't do my full look over before bidding. On a second or third viewing I notice a defect I missed when I put in my bid and suddenly I think "God, I hope I don't win this!" The feeling of relief when I get outbid on it is almost as good as the feeling I get when I win a book I actually want.

Or the other case is when I put in a low (60% of GPA) tracking bid on a high value key and up until a day or two before bids close I am leading and thinking "Great price, now what will I have to sell if for some reason my bid holds up."

I've done that before, where you put in low ball bids never thinking you could win even one item. Then all of a sudden you win around 5 items and you are thinking "oh *spoon* where am I going to get the money for all of these. Sometimes I put it on a credit card and sell two of the items I don't like as much on ebay and it will usually pay for more then half of my winnings.

I have an ivory statue that I got in abidding war and paid $265 for that I don't even want. I could have sniped it for $85.

I once entered a high maximum on eBay for what I thought was a low-interest book that no one in their right mind should even challenge. I just wanted to make sure I got the book. Lo and behold, someone beat out my max bid. And I was thinking the very same thing: THANK YOU!

But, not long after, I got a 2nd chance offer from the seller stating that the buyer didn't want it.

So, my thoughts were, either the buyer also put in a ridiculous bid thinking the same thing as me, that no one in their right mind would pay 3X what it's worth. Or, the seller was trying to get the maximum buck out of me.

This was nearly ten years ago, and I wound up making a counter-offer on the book, kinda in between my max and what I thought it was really worth. Still felt dirty in the end.

But the lesson learned for me on these auction sites was to be less of a gunslinger and just to let things go if it's something I'm iffy about.

So did they accept your offer?

One Sunday I put in bids on Heritage and thought I was going to win most of them because I was still leading with about 30 minutes left, I sat my wife down and had the talk thinking I was going to be in some big money hurt and I was starting to feel sick but thank goodness someone outbid me on most and I only won a few. :facepalm: I lesson I haven't forgotten mostly lol

One Sunday I put in bids on Heritage and thought I was going to win most of them because I was still leading with about 30 minutes left, I sat my wife down and had the talk thinking I was going to be in some big money hurt and I was starting to feel sick but thank goodness someone outbid me on most and I only won a few. :facepalm: I lesson I haven't forgotten mostly lol

I don't have to through that, we have a yours, mine and our setup. The ours is mostly me, but I don't touch it for comics. We also don't share credit cards, so no problem there either.

EBay....

"OMG, that's a great price!!!"

*bids stupid amount*

.....immediate regret...

.....panic sets in....

.....starts looking at bank account and doing terrible math.....

.....cant sleep...

Morning comes.....

1 minute left....

You're still the highest bidder...

Suddenly, the auction ends and you are outbid by $1...

"holy that was close!!!"

Start browsing eBay again....

"OMG, that's a great price!!!"

The circle of life.

This happened to me the other day on eBay. There was a DC 20 book sealed pack with a MOS18 5th printing that looked mint. The bid was at $25 the whole time. I put in a snipe max at $100.01. I thought there was no way anyone was gonna challenge. The title of the listing didnt even say MOS 18 5th printing.

I came back to see I lost at $101.05 or something.

I was p/o because I really wanted to book.

So did they accept your offer?

Yes. At the time I thought I paid too much for the book but in retrospect it was probably just a little over FMV. It was for a certified NM copy of Wonder Woman 130. I think the regret lies with the book's stupid cover:

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Wonder_Woman_Vol_1_130

Yes. I bid on a piece of original art (OA) I really wanted and lost the ebay bid at the last second, I was ticked off and found another piece of art and bid on it thinking I was going to show someone I can win an auction. I went to lunch and came back hoping like heck that someone outbid me. Nope, I won.

Lesson learned.