• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Favorite All-Time Cover (w/Explanation)

158 posts in this topic

hey, thanks! glad to be here. lots of good people with good info, by my reading.

anyone seen my signed copy of "The Art of John Byrne?"

oh wait...there it is. nevermind

too tough a call to pick one. Of the books I own its one of these two:

This one is just as perfect a cover as can be, Dynamic composition, motion that bursts off of the page as well as a VERY bold coloring scheme:

704707-tom.jpg

or this Wrightson classic, again Beautiful colors and dynamic composition...

hom236.jpg

of cover I do not own, its probably Weird Tales of the Future #3 by Wolverton for its sheer bizarre nature!

704707-tom.jpg.87d0ab11dbfc425d0e89de190ed87bdb.jpg

I only have a few comics scanned, but of those these are my two favorite covers. I love the action on the Iron Man cover, all too often is he looked over as to who the most powerful heros are, and this cover shows just how bold, daring, and powerful he is.

ironman127.jpg

I love this cover because Man Thing and the swamp are so menacing to the Micronauts. As I recall, they wind up in his swamp by accident, completely overwhelmed by him and the surrounding environment, this is just a well crafted work of suspensful art.

micronauts.jpg

My all-time favorite cover is ASM#238. I started reading Spidey when I was about six or seven years old, but didn't start "collecting" comics (by which I mean I didn't try to keep them in mint condition) until about 1982, after reading the special 16 page "Marvel Comics Guide to Collecting Comics" insert in ASM#234. Four months later, ASM#238 hit the stands. It was the most incredible cover I'd ever seen up to that point, and I haven't seen one that struck me in the same way ever since.

asm238.gif

A couple of years later, Marvel released what I think was the best three-issue consecutive set of covers, in Amazing Spider-Man #249-251.

Scott don't forget issue #232, #239 and #245, no collection would be complete without a copy of these. I felt the same way as a kid, these issues really blew me away. My how Jr. Jr's work has fallen off since the glory days of the 80's.

ASM239.jpg

ASM-232-96.jpg

ASM-245-96.jpg

I love this cover because Man Thing and the swamp are so menacing to the Micronauts. As I recall, they wind up in his swamp by accident, completely overwhelmed by him and the surrounding environment, this is just a well crafted work of suspensful art.

micronauts.jpg

Hey, great! Showing Michael Golden some love! 893applaud-thumb.gif