• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Spider-Gwen #1 a sign of the bubble reaching its peak?

178 posts in this topic

And aside from cover "variants", what a "silly" idea is to have (an hypothetic) Gwen Stacy as Spider-Woman? :D

All is a big, giant "What if" now – because they don’t know better? I really find it pretty much absurd…

What's really absurd is what people are willing to pay (for the moment) for what is quite literally only the first appearance of a costume.

-J.

And aside from cover "variants", what a "silly" idea is to have (an hypothetic) Gwen Stacy as Spider-Woman? :D

All is a big, giant "What if" now – because they don’t know better? I really find it pretty much absurd…

What's really absurd is what people are willing to pay (for the moment) for what is quite literally only the first appearance of a costume.

-J.

See Nightwing. :grin:

-J.

See Nightwing. :grin:

lol Touche

The problem is Marvel is front loading this thing to cash in while the iron is hot, and is already wearing it out. This makes me wonder how much long term viability even they think the character has.

Something is only "new and different" until it isn't anymore.

-J.

Haha ! What about The Walking Dead featuring Archie. Times are changing and although I like traditional stuff, Marvel absolutely doesn't imo. I think Spider-Gwen changing to a hero is a lot better than most of the alterations to characters in the last 10 or so years. :grin:

You’re right, they have done a lot worse (and I do mean A LOT), and in the end this Spider-Verse idea remains a "What If", but if you think about it, Marvel is very strange.

They more than often strive for inconsistency today, but at the same time they frequently realize the need to get back on track. Hard to make up explanatory examples on the fly, but there is an abyss between what Fraction was doing on the FF and what Robinson is doing now, which is almost appreciable even by myself… lol

I dunno if it's a bubble or not but at the moment I'm pretty excited about the series. Silk and Spider-Woman... meh.

You know there is one and only Spider-Woman, heh? :cool:

So much hinges on the quality of her story.

If it stinks, guess what?

You're gonna have a lot of people feeling burned.

:wishluck: it is at least above average.

I like alternate universes, so I'm pretty excited for the Spider-Gwen series.

Silk, not so much. I may buy the first couple of issues to see if I like it, but no variants.

I also did not buy any SW variants, just the regular #1.

If i did, I def would have went action figure, because those look great.

I've never worried about bubbles, as I usually just buy one copy for my PC.

If stuff hits the fan, and the market implodes, it just means I can buy more of the books I want cheaper.

I'm not worried about it....

#TeamSlippers does not approve of this message. lol

I thought the same for Silk, the name just lies flat for me. Just found it rather dull. When I saw Spider-Gwen I thought it was marketing genius. I think it's classic, and appeals to the masses more so than most due to having a real name incorporated in it.

I can't imagine Marvel letting up on the cash cow SG is developing into and making certain she is here to stay. For the younger generations I'm sure she may be the one that is pulling kids into comics for the first time. That equals $$$ for years to come for Marvel.

Can anyone really say Spider-Gwen and not chuckle at the absurdity of that name?

Personally, I like the name. And I have learned to give Marvel a chance.

No more marriage? Destroy the franchise Marvel. WTF!?... :mad:

Except now we have a sexier Black Cat and a new Silk love interest... hm

Superior Spider-Man? Please, we all knew it was a terrible idea... :mad:

until it was a fantastic idea... hm

and we were pissed when it came to an end. :mad:

Spider-Gwen?! That's the stupidest...well you get the point. :shy:

I think Spider-Gwen #1 is a sign that Marvel has completely run out of ideas, integrity, and gas.

Gwen Stacy should be dead.

But that is the question: Gwen Stacy is dead, what they are doing now is to put out arbitrary tales without calling them as such. When they did the first Ultimate books they were clearly stating that they were rewriting the characters, but the whole idea collapses as you start – as they did – to narratively abuse the idea of "alternate futures". The concept has been with us since Fantastic Four #5 and Doctor Doom’s time platform, but abusing an idea which is basically a "poetic license" is never good – I mean especially within what was the inspiration and consistent reality of the Marvel age. What Stan Lee used to sang, so to speak.

The concept of a "multiverse" (as much inconsistent as it may be) is something that could be a storytelling idea "per se", but not something that you could arbitrarily "graft onto" a well rounded-up narration as the Marvel age as a whole has represented. When Wolfman attempted "Crisis" I think he was well aware that DC Comics was pretty much different from Marvel, and mostly tried to handle the "prosaic problem", posed by the various characters and timelines "inherited" by DC by acquiring other publishers.

What Marvel is doing now… can’t just last. Unless they fully deny their tradition and "paradigm", and pretend all is disposable by constantly "making it up".

Can anyone really say Spider-Gwen and not chuckle at the absurdity of that name?

Personally, I like the name. And I have learned to give Marvel a chance.

No more marriage? Destroy the franchise Marvel. WTF!?... :mad:

Except now we have a sexier Black Cat and a new Silk love interest... hm

Superior Spider-Man? Please, we all knew it was a terrible idea... :mad:

until it was a fantastic idea... hm

and we were pissed when it came to an end. :mad:

You forgot sins of the past... Oh wait, that still pisses off fans today and added nothing to the storyline. Even if some like Peter single or have accepted it, it does not make the Mephisto story any less ridiculous.

Man wait till the Spam Spider-Gwen speculators get a hold of this thread.

:gossip: I figured that this would draw them out of the "moderns heating up" thread to an extent.

I'm just glad we stopped talking about Hot Topic for a week.

No, I don’t get it. At all. :shrug:

Sorry for my english, as these are things already difficult to articulate in my language, go figure in a second idiom.

Imagine if "Spider-Man" was actually named "Spider-Peter" instead (or "Spider-Pietro" in Italian)... Then we could have titles called "Spider-Jessica" and "Spider-MaryJane" and "Spider-Felicia".

It actually reminds me of how silly Fawcett got in the 1940s... Captain Marvel, Captain Marvel Jr., Mary Marvel, Uncle Marvel, the three Lieutenant Marvels, Hoppy the Marvel Bunny...

It's a cute gimmick, but it doesn't really seem sustainable in today's market. When the insider-joke novelty of it all wears off, the name will seem awkward and misconceived.

It is to let the masses know that it is Gwen Stacey.

I'm sure she will be called Spider-Woman in the stories.

Pure publicity and PR.

Gwen picked up fans because of the Spidey movies, even though most of us hated them.

I don't mind the name of the title unless she goes by that moniker in her world. Then, yeah, kinda lame....