• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help me choose a Schomburg Cap Cover

33 posts in this topic

I want a key Captain America book for my collection and was debating between picking up an Avengers 4 or going golden age. I have decided to get both (eventually) but want to go golden age cap first and want it to be a Schomburg cover (for obvious reasons).

I think my favorite is Issue 26 - but also like 27, 28, 37 and 41.

Having a hard time deciding, wanted to hear some opinions on which cover people prefer and whether any of these are particularly more key than the others (this will be my first Golden Age book, mainly a silver age collector, so not as "skilled" at knowing the key books from the non-key ones (absent a first appearance etc).)

My favorite Schomburg Cap cover is #3, but that's an expensive issue. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a key, but it's the first Red Skull cover.

Of the ones you mentioned, #28 is a favorite. Another is #38, which you didn't mention.

If you like the WWII covers, #37 is considered a classic. I like #33 about as well.

#26, #27, and #41 have their fans, but to me they don't really stand out.

I don't think any of the books you mentioned would be considered keys.

#46 is highly sought after because it features a holocaust victim about to be put in a furnace (and is perhaps a little too real for me).

What really matters, though, is what you like.

A sweet Cap 27 is on a sales thread as we speak,one of my favorites along with the Supense 3 :)

Saw that Cap 27 - it is amazing, just out of my price range. I am looking lower grade (i.e., 2.0 - 3.0) to keep the cost down.

A sweet Cap 27 is on a sales thread as we speak,one of my favorites along with the Supense 3 :)

Saw that Cap 27 - it is amazing, just out of my price range. I am looking lower grade (i.e., 2.0 - 3.0) to keep the cost down.

How do you feel about tape? Richie Muchin has a VG 28 for sale for $1300 (and he'll usually negotiate). The book has some interior tape.

http://www.tomorrowstreasures.com/catalog-item/011684/captain-america-28-1943/

I want a key Captain America book for my collection and was debating between picking up an Avengers 4 or going golden age. I have decided to get both (eventually) but want to go golden age cap first and want it to be a Schomburg cover (for obvious reasons).

I think my favorite is Issue 26 - but also like 27, 28, 37 and 41.

Having a hard time deciding, wanted to hear some opinions on which cover people prefer and whether any of these are particularly more key than the others (this will be my first Golden Age book, mainly a silver age collector, so not as "skilled" at knowing the key books from the non-key ones (absent a first appearance etc).)

I don't think you can go wrong with any of your initial gut choices, but Jimbo's suggestions are on target too. (thumbs u

I say get any war themed Cap cover, whether Schomburg, Avison, or any other Timely artist.

There isn't a bad one.

You might also want to have a look at all-select #1 and #2, and USA #7 and #8.
those are my favorites. Good luck finding a USA 8 --tough book. And the 7 is right behind it along with All Select 2. All Select 1 is not as tough. Have fun hunting :)

Yeah, I was a bidder but it just got way too high for me with those bug chews. Here's another I had my eye on...

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fpreview.asp%3Fcode%3D2014sept%26pg%3D24%23Item_1027690&id=1027690

Only went for $450. Where the heck was I?!?!? Maybe I was scared off by the brittle pages.

Yeah, I was a bidder but it just got way too high for me with those bug chews. Here's another I had my eye on...

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fpreview.asp%3Fcode%3D2014sept%26pg%3D24%23Item_1027690&id=1027690

Only went for $450. Where the heck was I?!?!? Maybe I was scared off by the brittle pages.

that was cheap, brittle or not.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I think I am going to target a low grade cap 26, 28, 37 or 41 for now and basically buy the first one of these I find that presents well for a low grade copy (with a preference for 26 still :) ).

I would love an All Select 1 or 2 - but would prefer to start the Golden Age collecting with a Cap specific title - although I am sure I can't just have one Golden Age book :)