• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unsold Action #1 and Detective 27

82 posts in this topic

I don't personally give any weight to the idea of pop stars, movie actors, Russian oligarchs and rich Saudis swooping in to spend untold millions on comics without a thought of the value, pushing prices up to stratosphere. Anything is possible, but I just don't see it happening. There's no cachet for those guys in buying a comic book. Watches, cars, wine, real estate? Sure. Comics? Nope. We had sometimes hilarious speculation about potential buyers for the eBay Action #1 and that ended up selling right back into the very heart of the hobby.

I dunno. There's a few examples of wealthy people overlooking value for effect with little regard for outward respect from peers. Hell, even the Beebs manages to blow $1M a month on whatever it is that he does. Again, not saying it will happen, but there's plenty of examples out there of people with more money than brains.

Sure, but I'm talking about comic books. That's the difference. People can spend all sorts of money in all sorts of ways. The likelihood of one of those guys splashing out on comic books is what I'm specifically talking and I think it's extremely unlikely. There have been cases of guys who liked comics, got rich and then bought comics, but they never acted like the drunken sailors everyone envisions.

Right, and guys like that aren't in all likelihood spending hours in front of a monitor trying to source books. They'll give a want list to an agent and you'll never even know its them.

That was certainly the case with Cage, and it was the case with Michael Jackson when he was collecting animation cels, and I imagine it would be the case with almost every hugely rich/famous collectors. They need the extra privacy, and it prevents people taking advantage of them.

I mean, is anybody picturing Leo diCaprio buying auctions on ebay himself and sending people his home address? :insane:

Right, and guys like that aren't in all likelihood spending hours in front of a monitor trying to source books. They'll give a want list to an agent and you'll never even know its them.

That was certainly the case with Cage, and it was the case with Michael Jackson when he was collecting animation cels, and I imagine it would be the case with almost every hugely rich/famous collector. They need the extra privacy, and it prevents people taking advantage of them.

I mean, is anybody picturing Leo diCaprio buying auctions on ebay himself and sending people his home address? :insane:

We know what Cage paid for a lot of his books since they were sold at auction. He wasn't paying a 50% premium. He was buying great copies at market prices with expert guidance.

one other thing-- am I correct to assume the more valuable of the two books here is the Tec 27?

Yes, as I mentioned the last sale for an Action #1 in 5.0 was around $425k. The last two sales of 6.5 Detective 27s were $567k and $522k respectively. The $567k was 2013.

As I said, 1.5 million is an aggressive price. The two last sales for these books in these grades add up to just short of $1,000,000 and they're advertising the books for $500,000 more than that.

Might be now?

I think the Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movies performance is having an affect here somewhat.

I wonder what the price might be for these two books if the upcoming

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie next year is a all-time blockbuster?

Then again Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice might underperform.

I guess sometime in 2016 we will know if this was priced over aggressive or not? hm

1. overpaying is still overpaying. These books in these grades have all moved recently so it's just silly to pay a $500,000 premium.

2. Action #1 and Detective #27 don't have much room for "heating up" based on movie hype. The only time that's really happened with those two books was in the 1980s with the Batman movie mania. I don't think the upcoming movie will move the needle at all.

Money is relative. $1000 to me is likely 10¢ to Justin Beiber. It's totally within the realm of possibility that a mega-rich fanboy could come along an nab those two simply because he can get them both at the same time from a reputable dealer to impress his friends or just say that he owns them.

Sure, that's an extremely small window of potential customers - but it's not unheard of. It might be silly to you or I to overpay on that amount, but for a select few others, the concept of overpaying doesn't factor in. But, I agree with Artboy - this listing is more of an advertisement to get people talking.

I don't personally give any weight to the idea of pop stars, movie actors, Russian oligarchs and rich Saudis swooping in to spend untold millions on comics without a thought of the value, pushing prices up to stratosphere. Anything is possible, but I just don't see it happening. There's no cachet for those guys in buying a comic book. Watches, cars, wine, real estate? Sure. Comics? Nope. We had sometimes hilarious speculation about potential buyers for the eBay Action #1 and that ended up selling right back into the very heart of the hobby.

I agree with the real estate part, but Watches, cars, wine are not as rare as the two holy grails that can be bought in one swoop.

History will show this 1.5 million will look like a bargain 5 years.

IMHO.

But if you paid fair market value (around $1,000,000) it would look like an even better bargain. Just because you've got the timing right doesn't mean you're free to overpay by $500,000. I don't pay 50% extra for stocks I like just because I believe they're going to go up.

And while we're here are most certainly watches, wine and cars that are as rare or more rare than anything in the comic hobby. In the watch world (which I know) there are regularly watches created in extremely limited quantities that sell new for more than this pair of comics. And on the vintage side things get plain crazy. There are many watches that are either unique or are only one of a handful and competition for them is intense. The Patek Supercomplication is unique and sold for more than seven times what the ebay Action #1 sold for ($24,000,000). A survey of the top end of the Patek market can give you a good sense of the kind of watches I'm talking about (the list includes both new releases and vintage pieces)

Even something like a (once) relatively humble Rolex Daytona "Paul Newman" sold for 1.1 million at the Christies Daytona auction in 2013 because of specific attributes and condition that combined to make it especially desirable.

I just don`t think those manufactured collectible limited or vintage watches will go up like Detective 27 and Action 1 will over the next 5 years. They won`t have the social media and Hollywood hype behind them. Once those multiple Justice League and Batman v. Superman movies become billion dollar blockbuster hits we will be thinking 1.5 million was a bargain.

That was certainly the case with Cage, and it was the case with Michael Jackson when he was collecting animation cels, and I imagine it would be the case with almost every hugely rich/famous collector. They need the extra privacy, and it prevents people taking advantage of them.

We know what Cage paid for a lot of his books since they were sold at auction. He wasn't paying a 50% premium. He was buying great copies at market prices with expert guidance.

Yes - exactly my point. And look at how metro handled the private sales. Fish kept a certificate of price paid, condition, resto, for each book. I know its old news to you, but what does it show? It shows that Metro, acting as Cage's agent, was fully aware of the risk of getting sued if something went sideways or if Cage felt taken advantage of. For the comic business that level of documentation when sourcing buys for someone is pretty much unheard of.

To me, that's Fish explicitly recognizing that Cage had the funds to make his life miserable if something went wrong.

All of which points to uber rich collectors not acting like drunken sailors. They will have agents. Those agents will feel accountable for the price paid, to a point, and will not want to be sued if they fritter away the star's money. I'm not a lawyer but IMO there's a real risk for them that if the star has a bad day, or, I dunno, owes the IRS $20m, that they or other creditors slap a fat lawsuit on the agent if they haven't acted with due care. No one's going to take that risk lightly. When you're in bed with an elephant you can get squashed pretty easily.

one other thing-- am I correct to assume the more valuable of the two books here is the Tec 27?

Yes, as I mentioned the last sale for an Action #1 in 5.0 was around $425k. The last two sales of 6.5 Detective 27s were $567k and $522k respectively. The $567k was 2013.

As I said, 1.5 million is an aggressive price. The two last sales for these books in these grades add up to just short of $1,000,000 and they're advertising the books for $500,000 more than that.

Might be now?

I think the Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movies performance is having an affect here somewhat.

I guess sometime in 2016 we will know if this was priced over aggressive or not? hm

1. overpaying is still overpaying. These books in these grades have all moved recently so it's just silly to pay a $500,000 premium.

2. Action #1 and Detective #27 don't have much room for "heating up" based on movie hype. The only time that's really happened with those two books was in the 1980s with the Batman movie mania. I don't think the upcoming movie will move the needle at all.

Money is relative. $1000 to me is likely 10¢ to Justin Beiber. It's totally within the realm of possibility that a mega-rich fanboy could come along an nab those two simply because he can get them both at the same time from a reputable dealer to impress his friends or just say that he owns them.

Sure, that's an extremely small window of potential customers - but it's not unheard of. It might be silly to you or I to overpay on that amount, but for a select few others, the concept of overpaying doesn't factor in. But, I agree with Artboy - this listing is more of an advertisement to get people talking.

I agree with the real estate part, but Watches, cars, wine are not as rare as the two holy grails that can be bought in one swoop.

IMHO.

But if you paid fair market value (around $1,000,000) it would look like an even better bargain. Just because you've got the timing right doesn't mean you're free to overpay by $500,000. I don't pay 50% extra for stocks I like just because I believe they're going to go up.

And while we're here are most certainly watches, wine and cars that are as rare or more rare than anything in the comic hobby. In the watch world (which I know) there are regularly watches created in extremely limited quantities that sell new for more than this pair of comics. And on the vintage side things get plain crazy. There are many watches that are either unique or are only one of a handful and competition for them is intense. The Patek Supercomplication is unique and sold for more than seven times what the ebay Action #1 sold for ($24,000,000). A survey of the top end of the Patek market can give you a good sense of the kind of watches I'm talking about (the list includes both new releases and vintage pieces)

Even something like a (once) relatively humble Rolex Daytona "Paul Newman" sold for 1.1 million at the Christies Daytona auction in 2013 because of specific attributes and condition that combined to make it especially desirable.

I just don`t think those manufactured collectible limited and vintage watches will go up like Detective 27 and Action 1 will over the next 5 years. They won`t have the social media and Hollywood hype behind them. Once those multiple Justice League and Batman v. Superman movies become billion dollar blockbuster hits we will be thinking 1.5 million was a bargain.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that last point.

Might be now?

IMHO.

I just don`t think those manufactured collectible limited and vintage watches will go up like Detective 27 and Action 1 will over the next 5 years. They won`t have the social media and Hollywood hype behind them. Once those multiple Justice League and Batman v. Superman movies become billion dollar blockbuster hits we will be thinking 1.5 million was a bargain.

That`s cool. :)

It sure will be fun to compare prices between Detective 27 and Action 1 vs. Rolex Daytona "Paul Newman" and vintage Patek watches in 5 years.

What we're talking about here with people getting millions and then splashing out on comics. That actually happens with watches. Check out the Hodinkee series "Talking Watches" which often features celebrities who got into watches after they made it big.

I`ll check it out. Looks cool! (thumbs u

Might be now?

IMHO.

There's some (maybe even a lot of value to) for when a girl sees your watch and her clothes melt off. Or an investor sees your watch and they just start throwing money at you.

With regards to those things, you have a much smaller pool of women and investors who appreciate your Action 1 in the same way(s), especially since I don't like bringing my Action 1 to the club or poolside at Vegas, or hanging it up in the boardroom.

The appeal of comics may fluctuate based on pop culture (comic movies are hot now, general nerdiess is hot now). The appeal of women's attentions and/or having investors throwing money at you never goes down.

But just like anything else, you gotta do your research, and exploit market inefficiencies, and of course there are exceptions to every rule. And in general, investing in what you KNOW is smarter than doing anything else, even if the other options seem like better bets.

Might be now?

IMHO.

You are talking about a different world of collecting. The only common thread a supercomplication (SC) watch and Action 1 might share is the interest and manner a record sale could be used to benefit and promote a lifestyle. Both markets also share parties that have been almost unanimously involved in establishing every record price. I would be very surprised if Patek themselves weren't one of the anonymous bidders, if not the winning bidder, as it's a time capsule piece that speaks on the company's entire philosophy, and the history of that pocket watch would be a centerpiece to their museum. The Patek SC has had buyers waiting in the wing for years, held by Sotheby's after debt recovery from it's previous owner, and the auction timed for Patek's 175th anniversary. To the persons previous point about Metro using their AC1/Tec 27 listing as a promotion, what's $24M as a "promo" to a company like Patek who charge several million per watch?

I dunno. There's a few examples of wealthy people overlooking value for effect with little regard for outward respect from peers. Hell, even the Beebs manages to blow $1M a month on whatever it is that he does. Again, not saying it will happen, but there's plenty of examples out there of people with more money than brains.

Sure, but I'm talking about comic books. That's the difference. People can spend all sorts of money in all sorts of ways. The likelihood of one of those guys splashing out on comic books is what I'm specifically talking and I think it's extremely unlikely. There have been cases of guys who liked comics, got rich and then bought comics, but they never acted like the drunken sailors everyone envisions.

I can think of several instances of wealthy people acting like drunken sailors and irresponsibly blowing money - and that's what we know about publicly, I'd say that there are many examples of things we don't know about and private sales that happened for far above par, with a celebrity agent working the deal on instructions to pay any amount for the item. It's reasonable to assume that a comic book, lunch box or some other piece of childhood memorabilia could have been purchased in that fashion. Theoretically.

I mean, it's reasonably priced, no?

And no one seems interested....

It's actually aggressive. It'd be, say, $750,000 apiece, which is a high retail price for both, so you'd have to find someone with that much money who's looking for both books at the same time as a collector who's willing to sit on them for a while. It's not like you're going to flip one. For example, an Action #1 CGC 5.0 sold, just a couple of years ago for $427,000. That's a mighty big bump, especially considering that sale was basically flat to the previous 5.0 sale three years earlier, which was at $436,000.

If, as is more likely, someone wants one or the other, they know how to get in touch with Metro.

$750,000 each would be the 7th highest price paid (publicly) for a comic book. It's not like these sales happen so often that we're at the point where we're doing double dips into the top ten in one auction.

Then again, maybe there were hoping eBay was going to help them find another Jay Parrino.

Ah-thanks for the info

Ignore trolls calling other people trolls-it's SOP for them

Kav vs Kav-now that would be a Friday thread

No. No it would not.

I seem to have attracted a troll.

do you like watching videos of justin beaver?

do you like watching videos of beaver?

Totally.

Out of interest are there not other numbers of these comics harder to find such as issue 2 onwards. It strikes me that these issues come up more often than the later issue run, I would love to hear from a fellow forum member who collects runs instead of the odd collectable.

my 2c is that although you may be right you can't compare it that way because high values translate to the books being available more often. Its not hard to bury a more modestly priced book in your collection but when the value is in the stratosphere its harder for people not to cash in particularly if real world issues like college educations and vacation homes and so on need or want to be funded.

Might be now?

IMHO.

I just don`t think those manufactured collectible limited or vintage watches will go up like Detective 27 and Action 1 will over the next 5 years. They won`t have the social media and Hollywood hype behind them. Once those multiple Justice League and Batman v. Superman movies become billion dollar blockbuster hits we will be thinking 1.5 million was a bargain.

Maybe but it's worth bearing in mind that at this time the people with both the dough to buy books at this level and the knowledge of the market -- including what potential buyers might be out there -- disagree with you or the books would be at $1.5 million already.

You are talking about a different world of collecting. The only common thread a supercomplication (SC) watch and Action 1 might share is the interest and manner a record sale could be used to benefit and promote a lifestyle. Both markets also share parties that have been almost unanimously involved in establishing every record price. I would be very surprised if Patek themselves weren't one of the anonymous bidders, if not the winning bidder, as it's a time capsule piece that speaks on the company's entire philosophy, and the history of that pocket watch would be a centerpiece to their museum. The Patek SC has had buyers waiting in the wing for years, held by Sotheby's after debt recovery from it's previous owner, and the auction timed for Patek's 175th anniversary. To the persons previous point about Metro using their AC1/Tec 27 listing as a promotion, what's $24M as a "promo" to a company like Patek who charge several million per watch?

One other interesting difference that comics can only strive for is that watches are global. The watches that are valuable and sought after in Hong Kong or Shanghai are the same watches that are sought after and valuable in New York, Geneva or Dubai.

Maybe but it's worth bearing in mind that at this time the people with both the dough to buy books at this level and the knowledge of the market -- including what potential buyers might be out there -- disagree with you or the books would be at $1.5 million already.

(thumbs u