• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers 1 vs Avengers 4

48 posts in this topic

My personal preference is #4 for multiple reasons.

- Cap is back and the real team we all love is formed

- The cover is better (in my opinion)

- Over decades of collecting, I have seen less of #4

It will be interesting to see how things play out over the next decade.

I think #4 is close enough (chronologically speaking) to #1 to be able to be looked upon with the early importance of #1, but at the same time, #4 also has the huge revival of Cap bonus.

It's not like there's a ton of Captain America Comics #1 out there to go around, so this may be the next best thing for many collectors?!

4 seems to be plentiful, and that's certainly reflected in the Census as there are actually more 4's graded than 1's. Both are relatively plentiful when compared to the other SA Keys however.

4 seems to be plentiful, and that's certainly reflected in the Census as there are actually more 4's graded than 1's. Both are relatively plentiful when compared to the other SA Keys however.

You should go back and check that again.

CGC census on Avengers #1 = total of 2453

CGC census on Avengers #4 = total of 2357

Would agree though that 2K+ graded copies of a book doesn't make it hard to come by, and that according to census, more high grade copies of #4 have been sent into CGC than #1.

The Avengers without Cap is like Harold Melvin without the Blue Notes: they'd have never gone platinum.

Avengers 4 is one of the most important issues of the Silver Age. Avengers 1 is a nice book with what I think is an underrated cover, but it's ultimately just the first incarnation of Marvel Team-Up.

Both great books, but 4, all day long.

You should go back and check that again.

CGC census on Avengers #1 = total of 2453

CGC census on Avengers #4 = total of 2357

Would agree though that 2K+ graded copies of a book doesn't make it hard to come by, and that according to census, more high grade copies of #4 have been sent into CGC than #1.

Oops, I was just looking at unrestored copies per valiantman's website.

Let me pose this -

Avengers #1 had no First appearance to covet

Avengers #4 has the reintroduction of Cap and forms the real team

So if both have no first appearance, then what is important? Is it the team without Cap or the team with Cap? Seeing as how Cap is the team member who has the highest priced first appearance, can he be considered the most important Avenger? If that is true, then #4 must be more important in terms of the Avengers team formation.

Hmmmmm?

apologize in advance as Im assuming this might have been a thread already but can't seem to find it. which is the "bigger book" to you? pound for pound $ does 1 always top 4 in terms of sales?

Since I do not collect Avengers in full, I would without a doubt choose #4: #1 has always given me the impression of the idea of a team "rushed up" to build on the success of the various characters (and of the FF) and even if Loki gives a good reason for the story, I would never feel prompted to buy a #1.

In fact, I just picked a lowgrade #4. :grin:

Let me pose this -

Avengers #1 had no First appearance to covet

Avengers #4 has the reintroduction of Cap and forms the real team

So if both have no first appearance, then what is important? Is it the team without Cap or the team with Cap? Seeing as how Cap is the team member who has the highest priced first appearance, can he be considered the most important Avenger? If that is true, then #4 must be more important in terms of the Avengers team formation.

Hmmmmm?

"The sum is greater than the parts." (Nick Mason.) Thusly, Avengers #1 prevails as it has for the last 40+ years of collecting. I'm surprised there's even a debate about this as market sales bear this out: 90-day GPA on Av 1 in CGC 6.0: $3,688; on Av 4 in CGC 6.0: $1,080.

Personally I wasn’t questioning the importance of Avengers #1 – just that as I bought a #4 I would not buy a #1 for the aforementioned reasons. But again, I am not an Avengers collector, and to me Cap has an enormous importance within the Avengers so my preference goes for #4 but it’s just me. :)

Personally I think that Avengers #4 is a land mark book and on par with issue #1 when it comes to importance. I have always wondered why it took so long [1964] for Stan to relaunch Cap back into the Marvel universe but it was worth the wait as they really did a good job with it.

Personally I think that Avengers #4 is a land mark book and on par with issue #1 when it comes to importance. I have always wondered why it took so long [1964] for Stan to relaunch Cap back into the Marvel universe but it was worth the wait as they really did a good job with it.

Yes, #4 is a great issue under all aspects. Artwork on the issues up to #10-11 is also great. I just love the artwork in #6-7-8-9, etc… :cloud9:

The entire Avengers team is all about rotating in and out Marvel characters to make a Marvel match up. That's what the series was at it's core. That being said, Avengers #1 for sure. Captain being added in Avengers #4 is no more important than the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver being added to the roster in Avengers #16.