• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers 1 vs Avengers 4

48 posts in this topic

The entire Avengers team is all about rotating in and out Marvel characters to make a Marvel match up. That's what the series was at it's core. That being said, Avengers #1 for sure. Captain being added in Avengers #4 is no more important than the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver being added to the roster in Avengers #16.

With all the due respect, Captain America is a bit more relevant than Scarlet and Quicksilver (and not only because of the Timely legacy). Also, the stories from the later period (after #16) were nice, but #4 is a landmark, and the Avengers really start to roll once again as Thomas begins to write them.

I am not a Cap America fan but in term of investment , Avengers 4 . You can still get this book for a good price

As a more affordable book for lower to mid-grade copies with room to grow (i.e., sub-$1,000 purchase price), I agree that Av 4 is a good investment pick. But the Avengers movie franchise is a behemoth that shows no signs of abating and Disney is putting everything behind it, at the expense of Marvel's historically more popular superhero teams (X-Men and FF). So Av 1 is also a pretty solid investment pick for low- to lower-grade "affordable" copies (i.e., $750 to $2,000 range) with room to grow as new speculators collectors come to the hobby.

Edited by zosocane

They are both grails that will keep on gaining importance as the movie franchise grows. However, as much as I see the investment value of Avengers #1, I have to go with Cap and Avengers #4. One of the all time great heroes in one of the all time great covers. Love wins out over investment <3

Avengers #4 for me.

Not only is the cover iconic, but so is the story. People who have never read an Avengers #4, still know the story of what happens. It's a major part of Cap.

I always wanted an Avengers #4, now I have two. Avengers #1 on the other hand, the desire to own one isn't worth the current price tag. 2c

Personally I think that Avengers #4 is a land mark book and on par with issue #1 when it comes to importance. I have always wondered why it took so long [1964] for Stan to relaunch Cap back into the Marvel universe but it was worth the wait as they really did a good job with it.

My comment is just for the sake of discussion, as I've been curious as to the conversation Lee and Kirby might have had with the (inevitable?) return of Captain America to the silver age Marvel Universe.

Since Simon and Kirby originally left Timely because of monetary issues regarding the good Captain and there may have been some residual hard feelings on Kirby's part, maybe Stan was cautious about bringing the character up.

Captain America was more popular than the Human Torch or the Sub-Mariner, and sold more books in the golden age, yet Captain America was the last of the big three Timely characters revived in the silver age.

It may have been a delicate subject. Perhaps Stan waited for Jack to mention it first?

Edited by Unca Ben

Prices on #4 have dumped over the past few years. #1 is still going strong. I think a #4 9.6 went from 70k to under 20k in two years. There haven't been too many other 9.6s since so I'm guessing the downward pressure continues.

There is nothing like having a #1 in your collection. The rest are just keys that follow. If you're looking for a true first CA appearance you need to get into GA books and be prepared to bleed for it.

Prices on #4 have dumped over the past few years. #1 is still going strong. I think a #4 9.6 went from 70k to under 20k in two years. There haven't been too many other 9.6s since so I'm guessing the downward pressure continues.

There is nothing like having a #1 in your collection. The rest are just keys that follow. If you're looking for a true first CA appearance you need to get into GA books and be prepared to bleed for it.

+1

Avengers #1 all day long.

You said it brother. :cry::tonofbricks:

-J.

In the "Top 10 Silver Thread" Avengers 1 is getting more than twice as many votes as Avengers 4.

I think that says a lot as to how the majority of collectors feel.

In that poll Avengers 4 and Daredevil 1 are basically neck & neck. Does that seem about right?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8370573&nt=8&fpart=1

Edited by gadzukes

As a kid in the 70's and 80's I remember DD 1 ST 110 and TTA 27 being like the 3rd tier of collectible books from Marvel but considered key books nonetheless I don't ever remember Av 4 being considered like it is today. although extremely impt for a multitude of reasons relating to Cap it is not his first appearance and I think is being made up for in this way with SA collectors or because so many are priced out of the market with a Cap 1 . cap 1 prices are absolutely crazy and I don't see them falling back to Earth this book has probably taken over Marvel Comics 1 as the #1 Marvel book (timely) of all time even though I believe there are more available