• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SOTHEBYS (Paris) - 07 MAR 2015

85 posts in this topic

Christie's catalog is even more impressive, but focused on European art.

What these two catalogs have in common is that we see more and more large illustrations specifically created for these auctions. It started with previous (and first) Christie's auction in Paris. Don't know what to think about it. I don't really care if peope spend a lot of money in these illustrations, but from my point of view it's not original comic art anymore.

What these two catalogs have in common is that we see more and more large illustrations specifically created for these auctions. It started with previous (and first) Christie's auction in Paris. Don't know what to think about it. I don't really care if peope spend a lot of money in these illustrations, but from my point of view it's not original comic art anymore.

Interesting observation, thanks for pointing this out. This is how our (semi) free markets work when demand outstrips visible supply...magically more supply, not necessarily vintage, comes to market. But will the fulcrum adjust toward lower prices overall in light of this? Or will the market determine that not all 'supply' is equal? Only time will tell :)

I didn't realize that but I agree. Can you point out what some of the specialty pieces created for the auction are?

Got a link? I couldn't find it myself.

It should be made public in a few days!

I didn't realize that but I agree. Can you point out what some of the specialty pieces created for the auction are?

A few ones from the previous Christies auction:

Manchu, Corominas, Agatha Kawa , Graffet , Gibrat , Boiscommun

On the new Christies auction, you'll find the same artists with new illustrations: Manchu, Gibrat, Lacombe, Boiscommun, Gapaillard. Plus a few others (Dunn, Loisel, Perriot, ...)

Regarding Sotheby's, it include pieces like #68, #117, #264 ... maybe also #2, #21, #65, #152, #206 ...

I just came back from Sotheby's exhibition, it is very nice.

Stevens Rocketeer cover is wonderful, really.

I was a little disappointed with the Corto Maltese "celtiques" art which has been improperly rolled and there is marks on colors.

Now, I can't wait for Christie's exhibition next week !

Has anyone here bid on a Sotheby's auction? Has anyone won an item? I tried to navigate all the disclosures about VAT, etc., last night and got a headache. Besides the 25%! buyer's premium, how much more can I expect to add on to my bid? Is shipping cost reasonable from Paris?

I found the catalog very hard to look at closely, but it appears to me that they are offering the very first Steve Canyon Sunday. This is EPIC.

you can open the PDF file for the catalog here

In fact they have the first TWO Canyon Sundays, both of which are artistically spectacular. I think they deserve to go way over estimate, but I'm not sure if they will. The Caniff market has seemed very calm and stable to me over the past 5 years that I've been collecting him. His reputation is stellar among comics scholars worldwide, but he offers no super heroics, no fantasy, no sci-fi. He seems the most affordable of the all-time greats, less expensive than Foster, Raymond, Herriman or McKay. I also don't know if Europe is a better market or a worse market to sell these in, but when you consider the prices for his direct heir, Hugo Pratt, it would seem to make sense (shrug)

When it comes to VAT, you might be better off flying to Paris, paying cash, pick up the art in person, and then fly home.

Sotheby's should be able to give you some guidance on all taxes.

hm

Cheers!

N.

When it comes to VAT, you might be better off flying to Paris, paying cash, pick up the art in person, and then fly home.

Sotheby's should be able to give you some guidance on all taxes.

hm

Cheers!

N.

That *may* not help insofar as the presumption may be that you are based in Europe and subject to VAT unless you can prove that you are exporting the item. It's one of the reasons auction houses use designated shippers as they can confirm it is leaving the country.