• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spectre ... does anyone care?

75 posts in this topic

Batman and Superman transcend comic books. People all over the world know who they are. As someone who only recently became interested in comics, I had never heard of the Spectre until I started collecting silver age. Batman and Superman will always have mass appeal; interest in the Spectre will always be limited to a much smaller group of people.

Crack the slabs, open 'em up and read them. Some real twised stuff for comic books. Years ago, I sold most all my "big" books to buy my house but kept More Fun #52. About as close I will get now is the DC reprint volume...

I'd love to see a picture of your MF 52 copy. Add it to the list of requests for your thread? :wishluck:

Batman and Superman transcend comic books. People all over the world know who they are. As someone who only recently became interested in comics, I had never heard of the Spectre until I started collecting silver age. Batman and Superman will always have mass appeal; interest in the Spectre will always be limited to a much smaller group of people.

If you only recently became interested in comics, it isn't surprising you were not aware of the Spectre.

More Funs have always been a little harder to locate than the big 4 DCs. When found, they were also pretty pricey. I don't have a lot of them for that reason. I always wondered if maybe their print runs were a lot lower or if maybe they didn't sell as well.

Big 4 DCs?

Action Comics , Detective Comics , Superman , Batman? Leaving out All-Star. Adventure, All-American, Wonder Woman, Sensation, Flash Comics?

Love both Spectre and Doc Fate both characters have a rich past and hopefully a bright future.With all the hollywood hype i think Spectre alone would make one great movie idea with a lot of stories to launch off of.One can hope :wishluck:

Love me some Spectre, and Dr. Fate. Behind only Batman, they are my favorites of the Golden Age.

Heck, back when I had comic stores, I named them after the title both characters debuted in

Yes and my Amazing Man 10 is from the collection you founded!

(thumbs u

I love the spectre. As an older/vintage collector. I've put the run together multiple times. But with few exceptions seems I always lost money when I sold. While I would love for a relevant use of the characters today, I don't see any bright value future. But they are fun to collect as long as return is not a factor (at least that's been my experience)

I love the spectre. As an older/vintage collector. I've put the run together multiple times. But with few exceptions seems I always lost money when I sold. While I would love for a relevant use of the characters today, I don't see any bright value future. But they are fun to collect as long as return is not a factor (at least that's been my experience)

.... I don't want to sound whiney here..... but it does sadden me to see titles like More Fun and All Star becoming tepid in the marketplace. It doesn't seem like it was so long ago that they sold like hotcakes..... but I suppose it's been 15 years or so. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I think he looks pretty badass and that's all I know :)

Very visually appealing, but what`s his origin?

Superman,Batman and Wonder Woman all have great origins.

Also Spectre has no supporting cast like Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman that a mainstream audience can relate to.

Right now, the prices on movie-related books are being driven mostly by speculation, so I doubt the high prices will last. (Howard the Duck had a movie. A Howard the Duck #1 is selling for around $100 in 9.4.)

I do agree that in one segment the prices are driven by speculation. I held onto 3 short boxes of high grade BA stuff and am shocked to discover I have many, many "keys" there. And I will sell them as the market dictates and use the money for books I want (like pre-hero/Atlas sci-fi).

But just a minor correction: citing Howard 1 as an example doesn't work so well. Like comparing a 1974 Doc Strange #1 to a ST 110 or even a Doc Strange 169.

Adventure Into Fear #19 is Duckie's first appearance and that is going, in grade on eBay, at about $250-275 as an average when slabbed.

A Spectre movie could be pretty cool. A supernatural noir.

Yes, if done well a Spectre movie would be just great. Spectre has always been a fave of mine. I had a couple or three More Fun books many years ago and have even held onto my BA Spectres from the New Adventures series because I like the guy so much. But if they make a movie they absolutely cannot pull a Spirit on the Spectre! Spirit was also a noir-ish character and what the heck happened THERE?! :o

Yeah,

Superman and Batman are always on the top tier as far as world wide recognition, but the Spectre covers are awesome.

The More Fun 54 is classic, as is the #65.

I owned the Larson and Nova Scotia copies of More Fun #54, and a 9.0 copy of #65, and the other Spectre covers are great as well.

Being a Shadow pulp fanatic, the Spectre and the pre-Robin Detectives with Batman covers, are high on my list for great golden age covers!

Dwight