• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Artist with Best Looking Incredible Hulk?

118 posts in this topic

The Lee weeks Hulk is pretty cool, but for modern artists my pick would be Eric Powell.

eric-powell-hulk.jpg

Nice!! There's that forehead again....Lee Weeks, Powell, Kevin Nowlan they all use the Kirby-caveman forehead. It works great in the hands of a talented artist. So perfect for this character.

Kirby clearly modeled the head of the Hulk on Karloff's Frankenstien's monster, and Lee's dialogue was in the same spirit, and that's who Hulk should be, a misunderstood monster, not just a giant green bodybuilder.

Exactly what I think as well. It works great.

It took Kirby up until issue 5 to really nail the look, but once he got it it stuck. So very influential in the history of comics.

Very cool Earl Norem piece!

I love that cover. I just missed the auction for the artwork back in 2004-2005...now I doubt I'll ever get my hands on it.

I had that magazine as a kid and read it until the cover fell off.

The Lee weeks Hulk is pretty cool, but for modern artists my pick would be Eric Powell.

eric-powell-hulk.jpg

Nice!! There's that forehead again....Lee Weeks, Powell, Kevin Nowlan they all use the Kirby-caveman forehead. It works great in the hands of a talented artist. So perfect for this character.

Kirby clearly modeled the head of the Hulk on Karloff's Frankenstien's monster, and Lee's dialogue was in the same spirit, and that's who Hulk should be, a misunderstood monster, not just a giant green bodybuilder.

More particularly, I've heard it was the very popular Aurora model kit of Frankenstein that inspired Lee and Kirby in their creation of the Hulk.

iNVytW8.jpg

I like that Deodato cover, too. Pencils look great!

Wol_Origins_28__Page_17_Pencil_by_MikeDeodatoJr.jpg

Wow, I've never seen just pencils.

Awesome.

I'm not a fan of the coloring on the variant cover - it's just too dark and blends in with the heavy blacks of the original art. But, I love everything else about this cover from the point of view, to the expression, to the background, to the wonderful contrast. The OA is stunning on it's own. A classic IMHO.

My only gripe with all the hulk artists is that no one will draw him with proportionate sized quads(upper legs)

Lets talk bodybuilders, a proportionate bodybuilder with a 20 inch arm is going to have 30 inch quads, so in all these huge arm hulks you see, if the proportions were right, the quads would be 50% bigger than the arms.

They give him big calves many times, and huge hands and feet, but they always leave him strolling around on chicken legs, from a correct proportions standpoint IMO.

Ugliest Hulk:

1. Jack Kirby. Just an ugly looking brute, crudely illustrated

How

Dare

You

??

:roflmao: Chris, its no surprise to anyone that I don't 'get' Kirby's art. Believe me, I've tried for over 30 years to understand the appeal of his drawings on others, but honestly, the images you provided reinforce my opinion that Kirby's Hulk is hands down the ugliest, most crudely drawn Hulk. Ever.

:gossip: That's who the Hulk is, a monster, a brute, a caveman, crude...not pretty.

But it's ok to like the smooth muscles and bulges that the modern guys render. :foryou:

Well, I was answering the OP's question regarding who drew the "Best Looking" Incredible Hulk, and not who drew the Hulk as a monster, brute, caveman, etc.

So, again, Keown drew the best looking incredible Hulk, and Kirby drew the ugliest.

Ugliest Hulk:

1. Jack Kirby. Just an ugly looking brute, crudely illustrated

How

Dare

You

??

:roflmao: Chris, its no surprise to anyone that I don't 'get' Kirby's art. Believe me, I've tried for over 30 years to understand the appeal of his drawings on others, but honestly, the images you provided reinforce my opinion that Kirby's Hulk is hands down the ugliest, most crudely drawn Hulk. Ever.

:gossip: That's who the Hulk is, a monster, a brute, a caveman, crude...not pretty.

But it's ok to like the smooth muscles and bulges that the modern guys render. :foryou:

Well, I was answering the OP's question regarding who drew the "Best Looking" Incredible Hulk, and not who drew the Hulk as a monster, brute, caveman, etc.

So, again, Keown drew the best looking incredible Hulk, and Kirby drew the ugliest.

lol

I didn't read it as most physically attractive, but I see it now.

Totally agree. The Purves era was a special time for a lot of Hulk fans and he drew some great covers. Keown's work was also fantastic. But I do enjoy Trimpe's and Buscema's work on the title as well.

Silvestri's Hulk, however, looks terrible.

prv9946_cov.jpg

Good Lord that's hideous.

Totally agree. The Purves era was a special time for a lot of Hulk fans and he drew some great covers. Keown's work was also fantastic. But I do enjoy Trimpe's and Buscema's work on the title as well.

Silvestri's Hulk, however, looks terrible.

prv9946_cov.jpg

Good Lord that's hideous.

I actually think that is well drawn...but only if you are drawing a human body builder. The veins popping through the muscularity is well drawn and detailed, but that isnt what the Hulk is

My only gripe with all the hulk artists is that no one will draw him with proportionate sized quads(upper legs)

Lets talk bodybuilders, a proportionate bodybuilder with a 20 inch arm is going to have 30 inch quads, so in all these huge arm hulks you see, if the proportions were right, the quads would be 50% bigger than the arms.

They give him big calves many times, and huge hands and feet, but they always leave him strolling around on chicken legs, from a correct proportions standpoint IMO.

I heard in an artist interview that the hulk is drawn to a different than an ordinary human. I mean he is "10 heads high" as opposed to a normal human being 8. He is intentionally drawn to "incorrect" proportions.

I am so the minority here liking the striated ripping musculature...Oh well.

I also liked Gary Frank. If it is a vericosey-Hulk, I take Liam Sharpe over Keown anyday, although Dale Keown's Hulk is fine by me as well.

But like I said earlier, MY Hulk is the Nowlan Hulk. I did not like the Gil Kane Hulk posted in this thread but am really loving Gil Kane's work in general lately as I become more familiar with his stuff. I like Kirby's Hulk, but I like how Nowlan took it from there. Lee Weeks Hulk is awesome in that vein as well, he gives Hulk huge beefy hands that really work-Lee Weeks' Hulk SMASH!