• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM FF #17

15 posts in this topic

The back lower spine is actually just color/top finish wear it's solid still and not worn through or creases, looks far worse at that part than it is in person.

I was leaning towards 4.0, and I do agree for a Overstreet advisor is a pretty high grade.

The back lower spine is actually just color/top finish wear it's solid still and not worn through or creases, looks far worse at that part than it is in person.

I was leaning towards 4.0, and I do agree for a Overstreet advisor is a pretty high grade.

Gotcha. Sometimes books look and feel much better (or worse) in hand. :)

That's no 5.0. I've had a couple of OSPG advisors that were rather generous graders. Moreover, I can think of several full time dealers, people who should know better, who are rather generous in their grades and consequently aggressive in their pricing. I've had to write a few off my list.

OSPG advisor or not, some dealers are just better graders than others.

Many dealers are terrific at grading. Bob Storms, Jim Payette, Gary Dolgoff are just a few who come to mind.

Others........not so much.

If they have a looser definition of grades but are at least consistent, and books are priced to sell accordingly, I have no problem. After all, grading can come down to semantics.

Then you've got the dealers who under grade (severely sometimes) on the way into inventory, only to over grade (sometimes significantly) the same book on the way out of inventory. I've always tried to avoid these people, and thankfully I think their numbers are dwindling with the advent of 3rd party grading, inconsistent as it may be.

To each his own, I suppose.