• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I wish GPA had a trial-service...

259 posts in this topic

It's not about "not being able to afford $10".

Correct. It's about saying "I can afford $5, but I can't afford $10, but i want to be able to price and sell the comic books that I just paid a third party grading service to grade, slab and ship back to me."

Anyone that can't recognize the inherent mind-numbingly incomprehensible "logic" in the original statement is either self-deluded or so obtuse that walking and thinking at the same time is probably a world class challenge.

If people are free to opine about the cataclysmic result that lack of six bucks is having on the entire economic climate surrounding them, then other people should be free to:

(1) Let them know that they could likely recoup the six bucks

(2) Offer them the six bucks

(3) Wonder whether the lack of six bucks is really important.

All of which happened.

I do not like the mentality though of, if you cannot afford an extra $6 then perhaps collect something else. I am sure there are others that for whatever reasons right now have a limited budget so that they can continue to take care of adult responsibilities. That does not diminish their passion toward collecting funny books or being involved in the hobby. It is a statement that is in poor form.

Mark my words. If Colombia Comics had said that, there would have been more people jumping all over that statement. Instead, you all just saw the REAL example of Cool Books.

I disagree. If you're a grown man without a job, there are probably better ways to spend your money. Nobody has the right to tell him what to do with is life, but if he made his life public business on the boards I don't see any issue with people commenting.

I expect you to miss the point. Anything to throw another little jab at me.

It's OK, I forgive you.

-slym

Correct. It's about saying "I can afford $5, but I can't afford $10, but i want to be able to price and sell the comic books that I just paid a third party grading service to grade, slab and ship back to me."

Anyone that can't recognize the inherent mind-numbingly incomprehensible "logic" in the original statement is either self-deluded or so obtuse that walking and thinking at the same time is probably a world class challenge.

If people are free to opine about the cataclysmic result that lack of six bucks is having on the entire economic climate surrounding them, then other people should be free to:

All of which happened.

I do not like the mentality though of, if you cannot afford an extra $6 then perhaps collect something else. I am sure there are others that for whatever reasons right now have a limited budget so that they can continue to take care of adult responsibilities. That does not diminish their passion toward collecting funny books or being involved in the hobby. It is a statement that is in poor form.

Mark my words. If Colombia Comics had said that, there would have been more people jumping all over that statement. Instead, you all just saw the REAL example of Cool Books.

I disagree. If you're a grown man without a job, there are probably better ways to spend your money. Nobody has the right to tell him what to do with is life, but if he made his life public business on the boards I don't see any issue with people commenting.

Let me attempt to just put my part in this to rest.....

I should not have made the comment to slym, without knowing his "situation", real or perceived. It was inappropriate, and as I told someone who knows his situation, I generally don't hit submit if I type a comment out like that. My apologies to slym.

However, I will say this, if I were umemployed, I would find a way to pay for the service. If I had to borrow the money, I would borrow it. If I had to sell something I didn't want to sell to pay for it, I would do it. I would ask someone who is a friend to sell the books for me. I would not let $6.00 stand between me and making income. Sometimes when you are on hard times, you have to swallow some pride and let someone else help.

Comics are not cheap anymore. As everyone knows, I am a comic dealer. I want people to collect. I need people to collect. But I will never, ever advise anyone to spend money on comics when they are unemployed, or when they can't afford to do it. There are simply things which are more important. And the time would be better spend trying to find a job or a way to make money. If you can do that by selling comics, so be it.

Again, I am sorry for speaking without full knowledge of his situation, and I wish slym the best of luck.

No doubt. It's $10. That's almost free. If you can't afford it, then maybe you should find something cheaper to collect.....

Wow.

I am not looking for a pity-party here, nor am I yelling at my screen with spittle flying when I say this - right now, I don't have $11 to spare. I am still jobless and have comics just back from CGC that I'd like to sell so I can pay bills. But yes, literally, I don't have $11 in my PayPal account. If I did, I'd spend it on the GPA service because I could really use it. As I mentioned in my post above, I have a few people with the service kind enough to give me prices on a few comics here and there, but if there was a "trial" offer, I'd gladly pay $5 for it, instead of George not getting anything from it.

The line in your post that I emboldened, that's pretty harsh, man.

:(

For all of you trying to argue if this is a question of finding VALUE in the service or if someone just doesn't have the money there is your statement in bold. People really try any reason to be argumentative on these boards just to see who has the bigger balls to prove their point. I personally feel you shouldn't be spending money on slabbed comic books if your jobless and can't afford $10/month for something. Man-up and quit looking for the easy way out of things. Spend that energy on getting a job so you can afford it instead of posting a thousands messages on forums all day.

I spend quite a bit of time scouring the internet for job openings & filling out appplications. It isn't like the "old days" when you pound the pavement looking for jobs, almost everything is done online now, some partially, some 100%.

I don't see how people can read these threads and not see the words therein: THIS TIME, due to CGC fees, eBay fees, and one other payment all coming in at the same time, I found myself suddenly almost flat broke. I knew it wouldn't last, and it hasn't. But at the time, I suddenly found myself in a tight spot, one that I am already out of.

Hell, if it weren't for selling comics, I wouldn't have been able to pay any of my regular bills many times in the past. I can actually sell comics and look for a real job at the same time, and as I just said, the selling of comics has been what's been keeping me afloat many times while I am looking for a real job.

So, in answer to your "challenge" to "man up & quit looking for the easy way out," the answer is there is no challenge. I am not looking for an easy way out. I am doing all I can on many fronts to get myself by.

I just know better now 1) to keep an eye on when payments are coming in so I can avoid situations like I was just in, and 2) to never say anything near personal here, so people can't misconstrue my statements.

(thumbs u

-slym

Don't have time to read much of the boards lately, and definitely not reading 21 pages worth. IMO this is one of the most valuable sources in the industry. Let's be honest, most use it to help them make money flipping books, and if you think $10.95 is too expensive then you need to rethink flipping books in the first place.

You really should have read the thread if you think that's what this is really about. SOme here are trying to spin it that way, but that's not how it is.

It's OK, I forgive you.

-slym

The original question does have some merit, and I think some good points have been snuck in there on both sides. I know that I have enough info to form my own opinion on this issue. Thanks for the discussion folks!

All of which happened.

I know you read the whole thread, yet you still missed the point.

It's OK, I forgive you.

-slym

I didn't miss anything and you can stuff your forgiveness in a sack. I very much hope things go better for you, but being down on one's luck doesn't give anyone the right to suckerpump logic in the can.

All of which happened.

I know you read the whole thread, yet you still missed the point.

It's OK, I forgive you.

I didn't miss anything and you can stuff your forgiveness in a sack. I very much hope things go better for you, but being down on one's luck doesn't give anyone the right to suckerpump logic in the can.

If you thought that is what was happening, then you did miss it, I'm afraid.

I am sorry you feel that way. I do appreciate your well-wishes, otherwise.

-slym

colombia.gif

vs.

columbia_nc.gif

:D:baiting::foryou:

there are many posts in this thread that made me laugh but this one deserves special mention

:acclaim:

I couldn't believe no one found that funny. doh!

Can you please explain to me why this is supposed to be funny??

Because Buzz repeatedly called you "Colombia Comics." :makepoint:

colombia.gif

vs.

columbia_nc.gif

there are many posts in this thread that made me laugh but this one deserves special mention

Because Buzz repeatedly called you "Colombia Comics." :makepoint:

Yes...I saw that mistake was made multiple times. What does that have to do with North Carolina?

colombia.gif

vs.

columbia_nc.gif

FD8566AA.jpg

treat_bee_and_wasp_stings_to_reduce_swelling_and_by_knowing_the_symptoms_of_an_allergy.jpg

ya_TIGHT.jpg

Get it? (shrug)