• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I wish GPA had a trial-service...

259 posts in this topic

It's not about "not being able to afford $10".

Correct. It's about saying "I can afford $5, but I can't afford $10, but i want to be able to price and sell the comic books that I just paid a third party grading service to grade, slab and ship back to me."

Anyone that can't recognize the inherent mind-numbingly incomprehensible "logic" in the original statement is either self-deluded or so obtuse that walking and thinking at the same time is probably a world class challenge.

If people are free to opine about the cataclysmic result that lack of six bucks is having on the entire economic climate surrounding them, then other people should be free to:

(1) Let them know that they could likely recoup the six bucks

(2) Offer them the six bucks

(3) Wonder whether the lack of six bucks is really important.

All of which happened.

I do not like the mentality though of, if you cannot afford an extra $6 then perhaps collect something else. I am sure there are others that for whatever reasons right now have a limited budget so that they can continue to take care of adult responsibilities. That does not diminish their passion toward collecting funny books or being involved in the hobby. It is a statement that is in poor form.

Mark my words. If Colombia Comics had said that, there would have been more people jumping all over that statement. Instead, you all just saw the REAL example of Cool Books.

I disagree. If you're a grown man without a job, there are probably better ways to spend your money. Nobody has the right to tell him what to do with is life, but if he made his life public business on the boards I don't see any issue with people commenting.

I agree - if you open the door by talking about your personal life, it's free to comment on. However, the ol' "If you can't afford $10, maybe you should find a cheaper hobby (I'm paraphrasing)" is the equivalent to a schoolyard taunt - and it get's people all worked up. Of course people can afford $10, I think the point is that Slym and others are contemplating a cheaper alternative for the service. After all, it's human nature to think: "Why should I pay the same as the guy who uses 100% of the service when I only use 1%?"

I would agree, but he specifically stated that he could not afford the service..that he only had $5 to his name. I can only speak for myself, but if I were in that position, slabbed comic books would be the last thing on my mind.

Hey Casey ! If he wanted the service to buy, I agree with your comment. But he did say he wanted to sell to pay his bills. (shrug)

No doubt. It's $10. That's almost free. If you can't afford it, then maybe you should find something cheaper to collect.....

Wow.

I am not looking for a pity-party here, nor am I yelling at my screen with spittle flying when I say this - right now, I don't have $11 to spare. I am still jobless and have comics just back from CGC that I'd like to sell so I can pay bills. But yes, literally, I don't have $11 in my PayPal account. If I did, I'd spend it on the GPA service because I could really use it. As I mentioned in my post above, I have a few people with the service kind enough to give me prices on a few comics here and there, but if there was a "trial" offer, I'd gladly pay $5 for it, instead of George not getting anything from it.

The line in your post that I emboldened, that's pretty harsh, man.

:(

-slym

For all of you trying to argue if this is a question of finding VALUE in the service or if someone just doesn't have the money there is your statement in bold. People really try any reason to be argumentative on these boards just to see who has the bigger balls to prove their point. I personally feel you shouldn't be spending money on slabbed comic books if your jobless and can't afford $10/month for something. Man-up and quit looking for the easy way out of things. Spend that energy on getting a job so you can afford it instead of posting a thousands messages on forums all day.

Is that what they call "tough love"?

Correct. It's about saying "I can afford $5, but I can't afford $10, but i want to be able to price and sell the comic books that I just paid a third party grading service to grade, slab and ship back to me."

Anyone that can't recognize the inherent mind-numbingly incomprehensible "logic" in the original statement is either self-deluded or so obtuse that walking and thinking at the same time is probably a world class challenge.

If people are free to opine about the cataclysmic result that lack of six bucks is having on the entire economic climate surrounding them, then other people should be free to:

All of which happened.

I do not like the mentality though of, if you cannot afford an extra $6 then perhaps collect something else. I am sure there are others that for whatever reasons right now have a limited budget so that they can continue to take care of adult responsibilities. That does not diminish their passion toward collecting funny books or being involved in the hobby. It is a statement that is in poor form.

Mark my words. If Colombia Comics had said that, there would have been more people jumping all over that statement. Instead, you all just saw the REAL example of Cool Books.

I disagree. If you're a grown man without a job, there are probably better ways to spend your money. Nobody has the right to tell him what to do with is life, but if he made his life public business on the boards I don't see any issue with people commenting.

I agree - if you open the door by talking about your personal life, it's free to comment on. However, the ol' "If you can't afford $10, maybe you should find a cheaper hobby (I'm paraphrasing)" is the equivalent to a schoolyard taunt - and it get's people all worked up. Of course people can afford $10, I think the point is that Slym and others are contemplating a cheaper alternative for the service. After all, it's human nature to think: "Why should I pay the same as the guy who uses 100% of the service when I only use 1%?"

I would agree, but he specifically stated that he could not afford the service..that he only had $5 to his name. I can only speak for myself, but if I were in that position, slabbed comic books would be the last thing on my mind.

Hey Casey ! If he wanted the service to buy, I agree with your comment. But he did say he wanted to sell to pay his bills. (shrug)

He's getting the info he needs for free anyway, he basically said so. Maybe he should've taken the money used to buy comics / ship comics / slab comics and paid bills?

All of which happened.

He's getting the info he needs for free anyway, he basically said so. Maybe he should've taken the money used to buy comics / ship comics / slab comics and paid bills?

Or sell A book. Pocket that $6 and use it to pay for 1 month of GPA which will, unless it wasn't needed to begin with, pay a dividend of greater than $6 in return. Probably on the first book sold after he gets the info.

That's life. It's not fair. There are incongruities. Bias exists

For example, one might conclude that your comments are a result of the fact that you are friendly towards CC.

I have no idea if you are or not.

Fair enough...

For the record, I have not bought nor sold any books from CC ever. I am friendly (at least I think I am) toward all including CC. There is a very rare exception and I simply ignore the person, rather than attack them or what they do. I would like to believe that I don't believe I have a problem with anyone. It is a message board. If I dislike something that is said that I simply go to another thread.

In this case, it was not a matter of throwing dislike toward Dale. I have met him at shows. Seems like a good guy. However, as DrB said, it was the equivalent to the school yard taunt. (I like how that was phrased) and I felt a bit over the line. I am not a fan of jumping on one individual when they do something but not another because that is life. I am not a fan of it when I see it in my personal life / immediate day to day world around me so perhaps that is why I point a finger at it when I see it on the boards.

Well said. (thumbs u

No doubt. It's $10. That's almost free. If you can't afford it, then maybe you should find something cheaper to collect.....

Wow.

I am not looking for a pity-party here, nor am I yelling at my screen with spittle flying when I say this - right now, I don't have $11 to spare. I am still jobless and have comics just back from CGC that I'd like to sell so I can pay bills. But yes, literally, I don't have $11 in my PayPal account. If I did, I'd spend it on the GPA service because I could really use it. As I mentioned in my post above, I have a few people with the service kind enough to give me prices on a few comics here and there, but if there was a "trial" offer, I'd gladly pay $5 for it, instead of George not getting anything from it.

-slym

For all of you trying to argue if this is a question of finding VALUE in the service or if someone just doesn't have the money there is your statement in bold. People really try any reason to be argumentative on these boards just to see who has the bigger balls to prove their point. I personally feel you shouldn't be spending money on slabbed comic books if your jobless and can't afford $10/month for something. Man-up and quit looking for the easy way out of things. Spend that energy on getting a job so you can afford it instead of posting a thousands messages on forums all day.

They don't call him 'Romeo' for nuthin'

Cable TV has tiers, I've changed Cable tv tiers lots of times. I pay way too much and watch very little, so every once and a while I'll scale back until they have some dumb program like Game of Thrones, and I pay for Showtime just for one program again;) .

HBO :baiting:

Wow.

-slym

They don't call him 'Romeo' for nuthin'

I'm a lover not a fighter, except when it comes to getting priorities in order

That's life. It's not fair. There are incongruities. Bias exists

For example, one might conclude that your comments are a result of the fact that you are friendly towards CC.

I have no idea if you are or not.

Fair enough...

For the record, I have not bought nor sold any books from CC ever. I am friendly (at least I think I am) toward all including CC. There is a very rare exception and I simply ignore the person, rather than attack them or what they do. I would like to believe that I don't believe I have a problem with anyone. It is a message board. If I dislike something that is said that I simply go to another thread.

In this case, it was not a matter of throwing dislike toward Dale. I have met him at shows. Seems like a good guy. However, as DrB said, it was the equivalent to the school yard taunt. (I like how that was phrased) and I felt a bit over the line. I am not a fan of jumping on one individual when they do something but not another because that is life. I am not a fan of it when I see it in my personal life / immediate day to day world around me so perhaps that is why I point a finger at it when I see it on the boards.

This is why I like Buzz. I try to be this way. Some days it doesn't work. Some days it does.

I genuinely appreciate that. I also genuinely appreciate the fact that many overlook my incomprehensible sentence structure when I write on my iPad.

Currently on my way to see the piano man at MSG - talk to all later

Kraven is with me

I love GPA. I buy and sell enough books to make it worth it from that angle, but I also like browsing it. So, for me, some of the annual payment is really for its entertainment value.

The OP's suggestion seems reasonable to me and this thread may have been helpful to George to some extent in gauging interest in a different pricing tier. Whether the OP's wish makes business sense, I suppose only George can judge.

I think most people are familiar with the Heritage archives, but for anyone who isn't, they are a great source of pricing data (all of which is, I think, also included in GPA). You can sign up for a free membership, which will give you access even if you never have participated in Heritage's auctions (and never intend to).

Cable TV has tiers, I've changed Cable tv tiers lots of times. I pay way too much and watch very little, so every once and a while I'll scale back until they have some dumb program like Game of Thrones, and I pay for Showtime just for one program again;) .

HBO :baiting:

Is it really? NO wonder I've missed it;)

I think I was thinking of Homeland, lol...thanks for correcting me;)my DVR will thank you, too;)

Clearly, I get it, its my opinion, but I think the OP asked a simple question and frankly, I don't think he asked for a value judgement regarding his intent or anything else.

If you don't want opinions on your personal business, don't make it public 2c

Clearly, I get it, its my opinion, but I think the OP asked a simple question and frankly, I don't think he asked for a value judgement regarding his intent or anything else.

[font:Book Antiqua]If anyone share their life doesn't mean is Open Season.

Some comments are just rude and uncalled...[/font]

2c

From a marketing standpoint, offering a free month of service or a risk free month would more than likely be a boon for his business.

Business's that offer sixty day refunds tend to get fewer returns than those with shorter return periods.

If they offered a thirty day money back if not satisfied, I think they'd add more clients in the long run.

[font:Book Antiqua]If anyone share their life doesn't mean is Open Season.

Some comments are just rude and uncalled...[/font]

2c

I haven't seen any of that here. Sometimes the truth hurts.

GPA is an invaluable resource!

You can make up the $11 price in one buy/flip very, very, easy...

At $11 that comes out to "39 cent a day" to use.

This resource has saved me thousands of dollars each month - do the Math...

If you want it, you just gotta pony up brother!

(thumbs u