• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I wish GPA had a trial-service...

259 posts in this topic

It's not about "not being able to afford $10".

Correct. It's about saying "I can afford $5, but I can't afford $10, but i want to be able to price and sell the comic books that I just paid a third party grading service to grade, slab and ship back to me."

Anyone that can't recognize the inherent mind-numbingly incomprehensible "logic" in the original statement is either self-deluded or so obtuse that walking and thinking at the same time is probably a world class challenge.

If people are free to opine about the cataclysmic result that lack of six bucks is having on the entire economic climate surrounding them, then other people should be free to:

(1) Let them know that they could likely recoup the six bucks

(2) Offer them the six bucks

(3) Wonder whether the lack of six bucks is really important.

All of which happened.

I do not like the mentality though of, if you cannot afford an extra $6 then perhaps collect something else. I am sure there are others that for whatever reasons right now have a limited budget so that they can continue to take care of adult responsibilities. That does not diminish their passion toward collecting funny books or being involved in the hobby. It is a statement that is in poor form.

Mark my words. If Colombia Comics had said that, there would have been more people jumping all over that statement. Instead, you all just saw the REAL example of Cool Books.

For any interested, I have GPA and just created a buy it now option on ebay.

I will charge 1 USD per book.

Just select "buy it now", and after payment send me a message with the book you want information for. or 10 books for 5 bucks. (thumbs u

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VALID-FOR-ONE-GPA-CONSULTATION-COMIC-BOOK-JUST-1-USD!/279209791?rmvSB=true

But you don't NEED GPA to enjoy the hobby or collecting.

If you can afford a service - great. If not, that doesn't diminish your ability to enjoy collecting comics.

I'm sure GPA didn't just haphazardly create their website. I'm sure they decided which way works best for them as far as a monthly service or fee for service. Think about PayPal fees and credit fees. Why would it make sense to charge $.50 for a one time lookup? Just pay the $10 a month (which is reasonable) or don't.

Correct. It's about saying "I can afford $5, but I can't afford $10, but i want to be able to price and sell the comic books that I just paid a third party grading service to grade, slab and ship back to me."

Anyone that can't recognize the inherent mind-numbingly incomprehensible "logic" in the original statement is either self-deluded or so obtuse that walking and thinking at the same time is probably a world class challenge.

If people are free to opine about the cataclysmic result that lack of six bucks is having on the entire economic climate surrounding them, then other people should be free to:

All of which happened.

I do not like the mentality though of, if you cannot afford an extra $6 then perhaps collect something else. I am sure there are others that for whatever reasons right now have a limited budget so that they can continue to take care of adult responsibilities. That does not diminish their passion toward collecting funny books or being involved in the hobby. It is a statement that is in poor form.

Mark my words. If Colombia Comics had said that, there would have been more people jumping all over that statement. Instead, you all just saw the REAL example of Cool Books.

And yes, I agree - that is a COOL BOOKS moment. Good correlation.

All of which happened.

Jesus Christ some people just miss the point, even when it's explained to them in great detail. Sean's point, and the point of any real consternation with Slym (and not the debate about the merits of different pricing methods for GPA) is this. He can spend $5, but not $6. He can spend all the money needed to send books away and get them slabbed (instead of selling raw). Yet, when it comes to either 1) exercising the gumption of tracking down Ebay and Heritage past sales or 2) ponying up another $6 - ALL OF WHICH IS ONLY NECESSARY FOR HIM TO TRY TO ABSOLUTELY MAX OUT HIS $$ RECEIVED; it can't be done.

Disregard the constant posting about his personal situation which likely has created some hardened hearts around here. Instead, reconcile the above lack of being able to come up with $6 to get all that juicy, profit-maximizing data from GPA. No. He's turned down people offering to front him the $6. He's blown off the people suggesting that the $6 would be quickly recovered in these profit-maximized sales he anticipates. He's ignored the suggestion to simply auction the books and let the chips fall where they may.

No. Now we have a Friday-worthy thread of teeth gnashing about whether people are attacking Slym personally; cool book allegations; the cable vs. Itunes pricing models; etc. All of this could be avoided with a few hours of collecting cans to fund the extra $6 or even just selling one of the freaking books at issue and not losing sleep over having left $3 on the table during said transaction.

This thread delivers.

Jesus Christ some people just miss the point, even when it's explained to them in great detail. Sean's point, and the point of any real consternation with Slym (and not the debate about the merits of different pricing methods for GPA) is this. He can spend $5, but not $6. He can spend all the money needed to send books away and get them slabbed (instead of selling raw). Yet, when it comes to either 1) exercising the gumption of tracking down Ebay and Heritage past sales or 2) ponying up another $6 - ALL OF WHICH IS ONLY NECESSARY FOR HIM TO TRY TO ABSOLUTELY MAX OUT HIS $$ RECEIVED; it can't be done.

Disregard the constant posting about his personal situation which likely has created some hardened hearts around here. Instead, reconcile the above lack of being able to come up with $6 to get all that juicy, profit-maximizing data from GPA. No. He's turned down people offering to front him the $6. He's blown off the people suggesting that the $6 would be quickly recovered in these profit-maximized sales he anticipates. He's ignored the suggestion to simply auction the books and let the chips fall where they may.

No. Now we have a Friday-worthy thread of teeth gnashing about whether people are attacking Slym personally; cool book allegations; the cable vs. Itunes pricing models; etc. All of this could be avoided with a few hours of collecting cans to fund the extra $6 or even just selling one of the freaking books at issue and not losing sleep over having left $3 on the table during said transaction.

This thread delivers.

I am reflecting on a comment that Dale made. I get Sean's points. But I was re-reading a few things and then it popped into my head.

Take out the name Dale Roberts and plug in Colombia Comics. Watch the board go bat guano crazy.

Dale's original comment:

No doubt. It's $10. That's almost free. If you can't afford it, then maybe you should find something cheaper to collect.....

Now imagine

No doubt. It's $10. That's almost free. If you can't afford it, then maybe you should find something cheaper to collect.....

Dale's comment was the ultimate in getting a pass because of Cool Books.

There are some threads, like this one, where there is no benefit to post, it's lose/lose either way.

Oh, these kinds of threads are as innocent as a soccer game...

featured-soccer-hooligans.jpeg

I am reflecting on a comment that Dale made. I get Sean's points. But I was re-reading a few things and then it popped into my head.

Take out the name Dale Roberts and plug in Colombia Comics. Watch the board go bat guano crazy.

Dale's original comment:

Now imagine

I think that's more a case of CCs (well deserved) rep on the boards than it is about Dale's comics.

Dale's original comment:

Now imagine

I think that's more a case of CCs (well deserved) rep on the boards than it is about Dale's comics.

Perhaps - but consider this - if the comment is unacceptable for one then why isn't it for the other ? The context was in a critical tone not one in jest.

Dale's original comment:

Now imagine

Perhaps - but consider this - if the comment is unacceptable for one then why isn't it for the other ? The context was in a critical tone not one in jest.

Frequency?

One misplaced comment vs. continual negative comments (shrug)

Dale's original comment:

Now imagine

That's life. It's not fair. There are incongruities. Bias exists

For example, one might conclude that your comments are a result of the fact that you are friendly towards CC.

I have no idea if you are or not.

Dale's original comment:

Now imagine

I'm not saying that you don't make a good point, but it's just one of those things in life. The guy who comes off as more socially accepted than the guy who isn't gets a little more leeway. Brock has found himself in the middle of some controversies here, and I don't think Dale has as much (none that I can remember).

But Dale wasn't responding directly to -slym, he was responding to someone else - you seem to be relating it all back to the original post & if that had been edited as shown below, would anything else that followed have ever been characterized as a personal attack?

2c

...like maybe a 2 or 3 day service for $4-5. I know it isn't that much difference in price, but I don't sell enough CGC'd books to need a whole month of their service, as valuable as it is.

Just a thought - consider who it is coming from and judge accordingly.

:)

-slym