• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I wish GPA had a trial-service...

259 posts in this topic

I love GPA. I buy and sell enough books to make it worth it from that angle, but I also like browsing it. So, for me, some of the annual payment is really for its entertainment value.

The OP's suggestion seems reasonable to me and this thread may have been helpful to George to some extent in gauging interest in a different pricing tier. Whether the OP's wish makes business sense, I suppose only George can judge.

I think most people are familiar with the Heritage archives, but for anyone who isn't, they are a great source of pricing data (all of which is, I think, also included in GPA). You can sign up for a free membership, which will give you access even if you never have participated in Heritage's auctions (and never intend to).

They also have been known to offer free copies of the digital Overstreet guide to their members.

Clearly, I get it, its my opinion, but I think the OP asked a simple question and frankly, I don't think he asked for a value judgement regarding his intent or anything else.

As you can see, if it wasn't for making value judgements about others, some folks would have nothing to keep them entertained.

How much does a cup of Joe cost now $5 bux (maybe less maybe more depending). But what does that do for you? Not much really, it's effects are gone in hours. Why not double down (still just $11, heck you're saving more than that at the pump with these crazy low prices!) on something that can pay for itself and work for you?

Plus, you won't have that awful coffee breath everyone always talks about.

Jerome

Don't have time to read much of the boards lately, and definitely not reading 21 pages worth. IMO this is one of the most valuable sources in the industry. Let's be honest, most use it to help them make money flipping books, and if you think $10.95 is too expensive then you need to rethink flipping books in the first place.

Monthly/yearly subscription makes sense if you buy/sell graded book regularly but for those people that just want to look up 1 book or a few books from out of nowhere, like books you suddenly want to check to see if it is worthy to slab/purchase or common books that doesn't show up regularly on the "Sold section", monthly/yearly fee is a waste. Especially after you paid for the whole month subscription and the book turn out to be worthless at the current slab price. However, 1 day access is more justifiable ($0.99) even if the book turned out to be worthless to buy/get slab.

All those $0.99 can add up if the same person use it regularly. Open up the daily access doesn't alienated your monthly subscribers/volume users as it is cheaper for them.

I guess some people still don't get the "I wish" part...

I wish I was A little bit taller...

:banana:

I wish I was a baller, I wish I had a rabbit in a hat and 64 impala.

lol

You forgot..

"I wish I had a girl who looked good, I would call her."

I guess some people still don't get the "I wish" part...

I wish I was A little bit taller...

:banana:

I wish I was a baller, I wish I had a rabbit in a hat and 64 impala.

lol

You forgot..

"I wish I had a girl who looked good, I would call her."

:doh: But you should of just added it, a little out of order is ok. :baiting:;)

this is just a generalization and goes for anyone, but if your having trouble putting $10 together for something, maybe you shouldn't be spending money on comics?

You obviously didn't read the whole thread. It's OK, I forgive you.

-slym

It's not about "not being able to afford $10".

Correct. It's about saying "I can afford $5, but I can't afford $10, but i want to be able to price and sell the comic books that I just paid a third party grading service to grade, slab and ship back to me."

Anyone that can't recognize the inherent mind-numbingly incomprehensible "logic" in the original statement is either self-deluded or so obtuse that walking and thinking at the same time is probably a world class challenge.

If people are free to opine about the cataclysmic result that lack of six bucks is having on the entire economic climate surrounding them, then other people should be free to:

(1) Let them know that they could likely recoup the six bucks

(2) Offer them the six bucks

(3) Wonder whether the lack of six bucks is really important.

All of which happened.

I know you read the whole thread, yet you still missed the point.

It's OK, I forgive you.

-slym

It's not about "not being able to afford $10".

Correct. It's about saying "I can afford $5, but I can't afford $10, but i want to be able to price and sell the comic books that I just paid a third party grading service to grade, slab and ship back to me."

Anyone that can't recognize the inherent mind-numbingly incomprehensible "logic" in the original statement is either self-deluded or so obtuse that walking and thinking at the same time is probably a world class challenge.

If people are free to opine about the cataclysmic result that lack of six bucks is having on the entire economic climate surrounding them, then other people should be free to:

(1) Let them know that they could likely recoup the six bucks

(2) Offer them the six bucks

(3) Wonder whether the lack of six bucks is really important.

All of which happened.

I do not like the mentality though of, if you cannot afford an extra $6 then perhaps collect something else. I am sure there are others that for whatever reasons right now have a limited budget so that they can continue to take care of adult responsibilities. That does not diminish their passion toward collecting funny books or being involved in the hobby. It is a statement that is in poor form.

Mark my words. If Colombia Comics had said that, there would have been more people jumping all over that statement. Instead, you all just saw the REAL example of Cool Books.

Jesus Christ some people just miss the point, even when it's explained to them in great detail. Sean's point, and the point of any real consternation with Slym (and not the debate about the merits of different pricing methods for GPA) is this. He can spend $5, but not $6. He can spend all the money needed to send books away and get them slabbed (instead of selling raw). Yet, when it comes to either 1) exercising the gumption of tracking down Ebay and Heritage past sales or 2) ponying up another $6 - ALL OF WHICH IS ONLY NECESSARY FOR HIM TO TRY TO ABSOLUTELY MAX OUT HIS $$ RECEIVED; it can't be done.

Disregard the constant posting about his personal situation which likely has created some hardened hearts around here. Instead, reconcile the above lack of being able to come up with $6 to get all that juicy, profit-maximizing data from GPA. No. He's turned down people offering to front him the $6. He's blown off the people suggesting that the $6 would be quickly recovered in these profit-maximized sales he anticipates. He's ignored the suggestion to simply auction the books and let the chips fall where they may.

No. Now we have a Friday-worthy thread of teeth gnashing about whether people are attacking Slym personally; cool book allegations; the cable vs. Itunes pricing models; etc. All of this could be avoided with a few hours of collecting cans to fund the extra $6 or even just selling one of the freaking books at issue and not losing sleep over having left $3 on the table during said transaction.

This thread delivers.

I ignored nothing, you missed it where my eBay account had also been temporarily suspended.

FTR, everyone - all is good now, I have sold a few books, everything is restored, and I can now purchase GPA if I so desire.

(thumbs u

-slym