• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I wish GPA had a trial-service...

259 posts in this topic

It's not about "not being able to afford $10".

Correct. It's about saying "I can afford $5, but I can't afford $10, but i want to be able to price and sell the comic books that I just paid a third party grading service to grade, slab and ship back to me."

Anyone that can't recognize the inherent mind-numbingly incomprehensible "logic" in the original statement is either self-deluded or so obtuse that walking and thinking at the same time is probably a world class challenge.

If people are free to opine about the cataclysmic result that lack of six bucks is having on the entire economic climate surrounding them, then other people should be free to:

(1) Let them know that they could likely recoup the six bucks

(2) Offer them the six bucks

(3) Wonder whether the lack of six bucks is really important.

All of which happened.

I do not like the mentality though of, if you cannot afford an extra $6 then perhaps collect something else. I am sure there are others that for whatever reasons right now have a limited budget so that they can continue to take care of adult responsibilities. That does not diminish their passion toward collecting funny books or being involved in the hobby. It is a statement that is in poor form.

Mark my words. If Colombia Comics had said that, there would have been more people jumping all over that statement. Instead, you all just saw the REAL example of Cool Books.

I disagree. If you're a grown man without a job, there are probably better ways to spend your money. Nobody has the right to tell him what to do with is life, but if he made his life public business on the boards I don't see any issue with people commenting.

I am reflecting on a comment that Dale made. I get Sean's points. But I was re-reading a few things and then it popped into my head.

Take out the name Dale Roberts and plug in Colombia Comics. Watch the board go bat guano crazy.

Dale's original comment:

No doubt. It's $10. That's almost free. If you can't afford it, then maybe you should find something cheaper to collect.....

Now imagine

No doubt. It's $10. That's almost free. If you can't afford it, then maybe you should find something cheaper to collect.....

Dale's comment was the ultimate in getting a pass because of Cool Books.

I think that's more a case of CCs (well deserved) rep on the boards than it is about Dale's comics.

Amen.

Correct. It's about saying "I can afford $5, but I can't afford $10, but i want to be able to price and sell the comic books that I just paid a third party grading service to grade, slab and ship back to me."

Anyone that can't recognize the inherent mind-numbingly incomprehensible "logic" in the original statement is either self-deluded or so obtuse that walking and thinking at the same time is probably a world class challenge.

If people are free to opine about the cataclysmic result that lack of six bucks is having on the entire economic climate surrounding them, then other people should be free to:

All of which happened.

I do not like the mentality though of, if you cannot afford an extra $6 then perhaps collect something else. I am sure there are others that for whatever reasons right now have a limited budget so that they can continue to take care of adult responsibilities. That does not diminish their passion toward collecting funny books or being involved in the hobby. It is a statement that is in poor form.

Mark my words. If Colombia Comics had said that, there would have been more people jumping all over that statement. Instead, you all just saw the REAL example of Cool Books.

I disagree. If you're a grown man without a job, there are probably better ways to spend your money. Nobody has the right to tell him what to do with is life, but if he made his life public business on the boards I don't see any issue with people commenting.

I agree - if you open the door by talking about your personal life, it's free to comment on. However, the ol' "If you can't afford $10, maybe you should find a cheaper hobby (I'm paraphrasing)" is the equivalent to a schoolyard taunt - and it get's people all worked up. Of course people can afford $10, I think the point is that Slym and others are contemplating a cheaper alternative for the service. After all, it's human nature to think: "Why should I pay the same as the guy who uses 100% of the service when I only use 1%?"

Also maybe a good comparison for the GPA model is Sirius satellite radio - I signed up for Stern but in their case they demanded at least a year commitment & they "gave" you access to a whole bunch of stations that I didn't ever listen to.

Selling these kinds of services involves a whole bunch of research into account continuity, non-renewals etc.. I personally think a bundled CGC annual membership tier that includes GPA would be a good way to latch onto the "get it, forget it" people who never let their GPA subscription lapse.

2c

All of which happened.

I agree - if you open the door by talking about your personal life, it's free to comment on. However, the ol' "If you can't afford $10, maybe you should find a cheaper hobby (I'm paraphrasing)" is the equivalent to a schoolyard taunt - and it get's people all worked up. Of course people can afford $10, I think the point is that Slym and others are contemplating a cheaper alternative for the service. After all, it's human nature to think: "Why should I pay the same as the guy who uses 100% of the service when I only use 1%?"

I would agree, but he specifically stated that he could not afford the service..that he only had $5 to his name. I can only speak for myself, but if I were in that position, slabbed comic books would be the last thing on my mind.

Also maybe a good comparison for the GPA model is Sirius satellite radio - I signed up for Stern but in their case they demanded at least a year commitment & they "gave" you access to a whole bunch of stations that I didn't ever listen to.

Selling these kinds of services involves a whole bunch of research into account continuity, non-renewals etc.. I personally think a bundled CGC annual membership tier that includes GPA would be a good way to latch onto the "get it, forget it" people who never let their GPA subscription lapse.

2c

All I know is, Cal's message board comes complete with unlimited GPA access AND Sirius XM....standard.

All of which happened.

I would agree, but he specifically stated that he could not afford the service..that he only had $5 to his name. I can only speak for myself, but if I were in that position, slabbed comic books would be the last thing on my mind.

Ahh gotcha. I saw he was talking about the affordability of it. I didn't see that he actually said he couldn't afford it. doh!

2c

All I know is, Cal's message board comes complete with unlimited GPA access AND Sirius XM....standard.

All hail Caltopia! (worship)

2c

You just have to pass the interview test.

2c

And the membership fee.

2c

And the membership fee.

Is there a criminal background check or drug testing?

2c

And pay the $500 membership fee.

2c

And the membership fee.

No, but you have to have a chemical imbalance to be a member.

That's life. It's not fair. There are incongruities. Bias exists

For example, one might conclude that your comments are a result of the fact that you are friendly towards CC.

I have no idea if you are or not.

Fair enough...

For the record, I have not bought nor sold any books from CC ever. I am friendly (at least I think I am) toward all including CC. There is a very rare exception and I simply ignore the person, rather than attack them or what they do. I would like to believe that I don't believe I have a problem with anyone. It is a message board. If I dislike something that is said that I simply go to another thread.

In this case, it was not a matter of throwing dislike toward Dale. I have met him at shows. Seems like a good guy. However, as DrB said, it was the equivalent to the school yard taunt. (I like how that was phrased) and I felt a bit over the line. I am not a fan of jumping on one individual when they do something but not another because that is life. I am not a fan of it when I see it in my personal life / immediate day to day world around me so perhaps that is why I point a finger at it when I see it on the boards.

2c

And the membership fee.

No, but you have to have a chemical imbalance to be a member.

Woohoo! I'm set then!

the problem with any time metered service (versus product metered) is that nothing prevents that 2-3 day user from pulling 100% of GPA's data. Nothing prevents that now with the subscription model, so really what you're paying for is the "on-going service of updates".

You could do a "2-3 day OR 100 lookups, whichever is first" model, but that's simply just confusing to the consumer.

So that implies that a "per look-up" pricing model would be needed, but how useful is that? 50 cents per lookup and the fees incurred by credit cards and paypal or whatever makes it pointless.

I suspect what the current offering is meets the happy medium of both. If you're going to a Con next month and know you want it for those 3 days, just spend the $10 and have it for the month. Problem solved.

Also consider the costs involved with implementing a system that allows for these other models. The current model uses the most basic model of "100% access or no access" to all the data. Any other system would require more sophisticated gating to the data which would incur a not insignificant cost to develop. That in turn would drive all the prices up making the already fairly inexpensive product more expensive.

That doesn't even touch on the incentive issues. GPA could easily find that 90% of his "single use" revenue comes from just 100 different books that get looked up all the time. Given that, what's the point in tracking any other books?

It's pretty clear why these other options aren't offerend. :)

Cable TV isn't a-la carte or "only pay for what you watch" for many of the same reasons.

I was about to state the same thing on the software development required. It would be an effort to do this and keep track of everything.

That's life. It's not fair. There are incongruities. Bias exists

For example, one might conclude that your comments are a result of the fact that you are friendly towards CC.

I have no idea if you are or not.

Fair enough...

For the record, I have not bought nor sold any books from CC ever. I am friendly (at least I think I am) toward all including CC. There is a very rare exception and I simply ignore the person, rather than attack them or what they do. I would like to believe that I don't believe I have a problem with anyone. It is a message board. If I dislike something that is said that I simply go to another thread.

In this case, it was not a matter of throwing dislike toward Dale. I have met him at shows. Seems like a good guy. However, as DrB said, it was the equivalent to the school yard taunt. (I like how that was phrased) and I felt a bit over the line. I am not a fan of jumping on one individual when they do something but not another because that is life. I am not a fan of it when I see it in my personal life / immediate day to day world around me so perhaps that is why I point a finger at it when I see it on the boards.

This is why I like Buzz. I try to be this way. Some days it doesn't work. Some days it does.

Wow.

I am not looking for a pity-party here, nor am I yelling at my screen with spittle flying when I say this - right now, I don't have $11 to spare. I am still jobless and have comics just back from CGC that I'd like to sell so I can pay bills. But yes, literally, I don't have $11 in my PayPal account. If I did, I'd spend it on the GPA service because I could really use it. As I mentioned in my post above, I have a few people with the service kind enough to give me prices on a few comics here and there, but if there was a "trial" offer, I'd gladly pay $5 for it, instead of George not getting anything from it.

The line in your post that I emboldened, that's pretty harsh, man.

:(

-slym

For all of you trying to argue if this is a question of finding VALUE in the service or if someone just doesn't have the money there is your statement in bold. People really try any reason to be argumentative on these boards just to see who has the bigger balls to prove their point. I personally feel you shouldn't be spending money on slabbed comic books if your jobless and can't afford $10/month for something. Man-up and quit looking for the easy way out of things. Spend that energy on getting a job so you can afford it instead of posting a thousands messages on forums all day.