• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I wish GPA had a trial-service...

259 posts in this topic

FTR: this was never about me asking George to make a new tier of GPA access. Not once was this a plea for personal service. This came about due to a series of slightly unfortunate & unforeseen occurrences that came to a head all at once, with the end result being I don't have enough $ to pay for a full month's worth of the GPA service at the moment, and me wishing (WISHING, right there in the thread's title!) that there was a lower tier of service, as if there were, I'd be using it right now.

Thanks for all the helpful criticism, and to all that have offered to help me right now, in any way!

:foryou: all!

-slym

I don't get why you are getting so much grief about this. It seems perfectly reasonable, particularly as a "wish".

My local grocery store has a bakery that makes fresh doughnuts every day, big huge things that cost $6.99/dozen. It's a really great price, good value, and well worth $6.99. But I can't eat a dozen of them before they go bad. Luckily, they also sell them individually, for 69 cents each. Not as good a price as the dozen price, but I can't "use" 12 doughnuts, so it works out well for me.

I guess all these folks would tell me, hey, it's only 7 bucks, why would you want to get just the one?

The difference is that GPA is a service, not a product like a donut that can be sold individually.

The cable company doesn't offer a one day service if you want to watch one episode of a show, right?

Actually, it depends on the company - I have signed up for less than a month's worth of Showtime or HBO, to watch one show I wanted to see.

And if your argument is that it isn't possible for GPA to offer less than a month's worth of it's service, that's a little silly, don't you think?

iTunes seems to have figured out this business model for the guy that misses/needs to only watch 1 episode of a show he forgot to DVR or watch live or something. Or to buy a whole season. And unlike say, a 1-time lookup for today's GPA results for X-Men 4 or something, they even let you watch that episode of Breaking Bad over and over if you want. Granted, it stays the same, but still.

FTR: this was never about me asking George to make a new tier of GPA access. Not once was this a plea for personal service. This came about due to a series of slightly unfortunate & unforeseen occurrences that came to a head all at once, with the end result being I don't have enough $ to pay for a full month's worth of the GPA service at the moment, and me wishing (WISHING, right there in the thread's title!) that there was a lower tier of service, as if there were, I'd be using it right now.

Thanks for all the helpful criticism, and to all that have offered to help me right now, in any way!

:foryou: all!

-slym

I don't get why you are getting so much grief about this. It seems perfectly reasonable, particularly as a "wish".

My local grocery store has a bakery that makes fresh doughnuts every day, big huge things that cost $6.99/dozen. It's a really great price, good value, and well worth $6.99. But I can't eat a dozen of them before they go bad. Luckily, they also sell them individually, for 69 cents each. Not as good a price as the dozen price, but I can't "use" 12 doughnuts, so it works out well for me.

I guess all these folks would tell me, hey, it's only 7 bucks, why would you want to get just the one?

The difference is that GPA is a service, not a product like a donut that can be sold individually.

The cable company doesn't offer a one day service if you want to watch one episode of a show, right?

Data is a product. (Ok, data are a product, but you know what I mean.)

And that data is readily available on eBay, Clink, Heritage and lots of other sites.

GPA's collecting, organizing and publishing specific gathered data is a.... :whistle:

Yes, putting a list together is a service. Is that what you needed to hear? Anyone who subscribes to GPA wants the product, which is the sales data.

And that data is readily available on eBay, Clink, Heritage and lots of other sites.

GPA's collecting, organizing and publishing specific gathered data is a.... :whistle:

Yes, putting a list together is a service. Is that what you needed to hear? Anyone who subscribes to GPA wants the product, which is the sales data.

:)

:)

It's still all about the data, just like iTunes is all about the songs. You're buying access to a product, which could theoretically be delivered one donut at a time or by the dozen. One song at a time or by the album. One book at a time, or title, or the whole kit and caboodle of pricing data as a product.

I hardly think that suggesting service tiers is something crazy or revolutionary. Products or services, many companies offer tiered pricing based on customer demand or need. It's a request that either gets heard & fulfilled & maybe it doesn't but it can't hurt to ask/request/suggest.

Actually, it depends on the company - I have signed up for less than a month's worth of Showtime or HBO, to watch one show I wanted to see.

And if your argument is that it isn't possible for GPA to offer less than a month's worth of it's service, that's a little silly, don't you think?

George can offer his service any way he wants to. It's not like Slim isn't getting it for free anyway. (shrug)

Oh, absolutely, don't recall anyone saying otherwise. Just one guy saying, "Wouldn't it be nice" and a bunch of others giving him a hard time about it.

And just for the record, I don't buy slabbed books*, so I don't really have much reason to pay for GPA. But I will add that if there was a cheaper, more limited option, there might have been times that I found it worthwhile to check it out.

But yes, George can do what he wants with his service, completely agree. Same with CGC, but here's a whole board devoted to discussion about how they might go about it.

*By which I mean, I'm not in the market for slabbed books; I have bought a few, because they were priced within what I would have paid for a raw one.

Cable TV has tiers, I've changed Cable tv tiers lots of times. I pay way too much and watch very little, so every once and a while I'll scale back until they have some dumb program like Game of Thrones, and I pay for Showtime just for one program again;) .

I think it's a great idea, limited access, once a month for 2 days or something. I subscribe to GPA, and I did use it the other day, but I don't buy or sell that many CGC'd books, so every time I see the charge on my statement, I wonder if I should discontinue it and just guess;).

BTW, Slym, Heritage has a lot of the GPA figures on their website if you look there, it's more work, but...

You could also spend time checking Ebay and other sources to see if you can find your own pricing data, rather than come up with the $6 difference you claims is a hardship.

I have done so, but I don't have access to all the data-points that GPA does.

Also, after CGC charging my card for the books and the last few things I had to pay out on, I am now in arrears on my eBay account, and am no longer able to list anything until I pay last month's charges.

One more thing - for one of the books I have, at least last time I looked, there was no data whatsoever.

I guess I am going to have to try and sell one of the known-priced books I have here and then get GPA after that just for the Sabrinas, and use eBay sold-prices for the others for now.

FTR - all fault lies with me on this. I am not blaming anyone for my mistakes.

Again, this thread was "just wishing" - that's all.

I have said far too much as it is...

:(

-slym

\

Do you have some raw books that are not quite CGC worthy that you could sell to get a little cash flow going? Might be the best way to get this started.

Do you have some raw books that are not quite CGC worthy that you could sell to get a little cash flow going? Might be the best way to get this started.

Everything I had on eBay was raw, but I've always offered it here first, with no takers. I have since had an offer I took on my CGC'd X-Men #4, so when that goes through, I'll be back to "normal" :)

-slym