• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I wish GPA had a trial-service...

259 posts in this topic

If there was a "one time for a buck" option, I'd probably Paypal that dollar to George several times a month at least.

hm

+1

If people could pay $1 to look up a single book, I think this George fellow could move up the tax bracket. I know I'd throw a few his way on some books, never thinking that I would need an entire subscription. He could make a couple bucks off me each month, when currently - he's made none - because I don't deal enough in that to bother with a monthly subscription.

I concur with this.

FTR: this was never about me asking George to make a new tier of GPA access. Not once was this a plea for personal service. This came about due to a series of slightly unfortunate & unforeseen occurrences that came to a head all at once, with the end result being I don't have enough $ to pay for a full month's worth of the GPA service at the moment, and me wishing (WISHING, right there in the thread's title!) that there was a lower tier of service, as if there were, I'd be using it right now.

Thanks for all the helpful criticism, and to all that have offered to help me right now, in any way!

:foryou: all!

-slym

I don't get why you are getting so much grief about this. It seems perfectly reasonable, particularly as a "wish".

My local grocery store has a bakery that makes fresh doughnuts every day, big huge things that cost $6.99/dozen. It's a really great price, good value, and well worth $6.99. But I can't eat a dozen of them before they go bad. Luckily, they also sell them individually, for 69 cents each. Not as good a price as the dozen price, but I can't "use" 12 doughnuts, so it works out well for me.

I guess all these folks would tell me, hey, it's only 7 bucks, why would you want to get just the one?

The difference is that GPA is a service, not a product like a donut that can be sold individually.

The cable company doesn't offer a one day service if you want to watch one episode of a show, right?

Actually, yes they do. :makepoint:

Cable TV has tiers, I've changed Cable tv tiers lots of times. I pay way too much and watch very little, so every once and a while I'll scale back until they have some dumb program like Game of Thrones, and I pay for Showtime just for one program again;) .

I think it's a great idea, limited access, once a month for 2 days or something. I subscribe to GPA, and I did use it the other day, but I don't buy or sell that many CGC'd books, so every time I see the charge on my statement, I wonder if I should discontinue it and just guess;).

BTW, Slym, Heritage has a lot of the GPA figures on their website if you look there, it's more work, but...

mycomicshop also has some GPA data

If there was a "one time for a buck" option, I'd probably Paypal that dollar to George several times a month at least.

hm

+1

If people could pay $1 to look up a single book, I think this George fellow could move up the tax bracket. I know I'd throw a few his way on some books, never thinking that I would need an entire subscription. He could make a couple bucks off me each month, when currently - he's made none - because I don't deal enough in that to bother with a monthly subscription.

Or you could charge people $1 to do it. (shrug)

Sadly, it's specifically prohibited in the user agreement. That'd be a good idea, though.

I am a little late to the discussion...but GPA is worth every penny. I have easily recouped the cost in the data I have gotten there.

Great site.

Well I think it's a great resource for knowing what's out there and roughly what an item is presently valued at.

However, I can't say for sure it's saved me money. I use it as a guide to buy items also, and even when I bid a little over GPA for auctions, someone always feels the need to best the new GPA even for common items.

From a trial perspective, can't you just sign up for the month, and cancel after the month. That's not a bad middle-ground for using the service.

I think I'm most surprised at the heat Slym is getting in this thread.

Yeah, it's certainly not the first time this idea has been brought up.

Nor the first time the reaction to it has been quite negative.

Yeah, it's definitely got a "pressing thread" feel to it. That's what surprises me - some people commenting on GPA's subscription service are getting as angry at the OP as people do in pressing threads.

FTR: this was never about me asking George to make a new tier of GPA access. Not once was this a plea for personal service. This came about due to a series of slightly unfortunate & unforeseen occurrences that came to a head all at once, with the end result being I don't have enough $ to pay for a full month's worth of the GPA service at the moment, and me wishing (WISHING, right there in the thread's title!) that there was a lower tier of service, as if there were, I'd be using it right now.

Thanks for all the helpful criticism, and to all that have offered to help me right now, in any way!

:foryou: all!

-slym

I don't get why you are getting so much grief about this. It seems perfectly reasonable, particularly as a "wish".

My local grocery store has a bakery that makes fresh doughnuts every day, big huge things that cost $6.99/dozen. It's a really great price, good value, and well worth $6.99. But I can't eat a dozen of them before they go bad. Luckily, they also sell them individually, for 69 cents each. Not as good a price as the dozen price, but I can't "use" 12 doughnuts, so it works out well for me.

I guess all these folks would tell me, hey, it's only 7 bucks, why would you want to get just the one?

The difference is that GPA is a service, not a product like a donut that can be sold individually.

The cable company doesn't offer a one day service if you want to watch one episode of a show, right?

Actually, yes they do. :makepoint:

Not that I know of in the US? (shrug)

I am a little late to the discussion...but GPA is worth every penny. I have easily recouped the cost in the data I have gotten there.

Great site.

Well I think it's a great resource for knowing what's out there and roughly what an item is presently valued at.

However, I can't say for sure it's saved me money. I use it as a guide to buy items also, and even when I bid a little over GPA for auctions, someone always feels the need to best the new GPA even for common items.

From a trial perspective, can't you just sign up for the month, and cancel after the month. That's not a bad middle-ground for using the service.

That's what I have done in the past - paid for a subscription for a month and cancelled when I was either looking to buy or sell a book. I got the subscription to feel better educated when it came time to pull the pin on something.

What in the wide wide world of sports is the point of a forum or a post in that forum if not to discuss the subject that the OP opined about? Both positive and negative?

Are we all supposed to just read it and nod our heads in agreement (or disagreement) and move along saying nothing? This would be a very dull place indeed if that was the norm.. :)

The entire point of this site is to discuss things. Why people get confused or upset by that is truly baffling and it seems to happen a lot lately.

I would go so far as to ask why Slym even posted this interesting idea if he didn't want any feedback about it? Was the intention just to throw it against the wall and walk away never to hear from it or about it again? Go shout in the closet if that's your goal; you'll get the same response. :)

What in the wide wide world of sports is the point of a forum or a post in that forum if not to discuss the subject that the OP opined about? Both positive and negative?

Are we all supposed to just read it and nod our heads in agreement (or disagreement) and move along saying nothing? This would be a very dull place indeed if that was the norm.. :)

The enitre point of this site is to discuss things. Why people get confused or upset by that is truly baffling.

It isn't the discussion itself, you're absolutely correct on that score. It's the vehemence with which some of those opinions have been directed at the OP. Some of those were uncalled for.

The entire point of this site is to discuss things. Why people get confused or upset by that is truly baffling.

I would go so far as to ask why Slym even posted this interesting idea if he didn't want any feedback about it? Was the intention just to throw it against the wall and walk away never to hear of it or about it again? Go shout in the closet if that's your goal; you'll get the same response. :)

I think he was looking for feedback and he got some personal heat over it, that's all. Just an observation I made. There's plenty of good discussion here on the topic.

This thread has been tamer than many in that regard. As with "real life", I guess some people aren't mentally equipped to avoid the personal attacks in their talking points.

We'll just have to look paste those so the more productive conversations can continue.

This thread has been tamer than many in that regard. As with real life, I guess some people aren't mentally equipped to avoid the personal attacks in their talking points.

It's always easier to slip when online too.