• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Auction near Detroit, many GA comics

127 posts in this topic

I'm already committed to the Great Lakes Comic Convention that weekend, or I'd certainly attend this one.

Anyone near Detroit free that weekend?

http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/auctionview.cgi?lid=2380604&kwd=comic&zip=49203&category=0

<a  href=http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a352/tabcom/Golden%20Comics/Capture_zpsqqhyadg4.png' alt='Capture_zpsqqhyadg4.png'>

It has been over five years since I attended two of his auctions. Observing from the back of the room, it appeared to me that there were shills sprinkled through the hall that were quietly waiting for the signal to bid. Speaking to another local attendee who was more familiar with the practice told me one of the shill was the auctioneers dad.

One of the auctions I attended I noticed a couple concealed weapons. I was looking over my shoulder as I hurriedly exited to me car. Buyer Beware!

Welcome to Detroit!

<a  href=http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a352/tabcom/Golden%20Comics/Capture_zpsqqhyadg4.png' alt='Capture_zpsqqhyadg4.png'>

It has been over five years since I attended two of his auctions. Observing from the back of the room, it appeared to me that there were shills sprinkled through the hall that were quietly waiting for the signal to bid. Speaking to another local attendee who was more familiar with the practice told me one of the shill was the auctioneers dad.

One of the auctions I attended I noticed a couple concealed weapons. I was looking over my shoulder as I hurriedly exited to me car. Buyer Beware!

Welcome to Detroit!

Interesting. This looks like Randy Kesselring to me. Anyone remember his "Comicman" auctions in the CBG?

:applause: You are correct sir.

Apparently, he is now Randy Paul Kesselring.

Perhaps he didn't like the association with 'Smiling Albert' Kesselring . . .

2c_Albert_Kesselring.jpg/220px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-R93434%2c_Albert_Kesselring.jpg' alt='2.gif.9fc66b13abe5d736a39bc1a668f42ae9.gif' alt='2c'>_Albert_Kesselring.jpg'>

Or . . . he is trying to put this behind him:

He had multiple fines for misconduct back in 2000 and 2002 with the State of Michigan Dept. of Licensing.

http://search.michigan.gov/search?affiliate=mi-lara&m=true&query=KESSELRING

Or . . . he is trying to put this behind him:

He had multiple fines for misconduct back in 2000 and 2002 with the State of Michigan Dept. of Licensing.

http://search.michigan.gov/search?affiliate=mi-lara&m=true&query=KESSELRING

The actual nature of his misconduct isn't clear, but considering most of the fines the state hands out are between $500 - $2500, getting two $15,000 fines indicates it was probably more than operating as an unlicensed appraiser.

I guessing his new choice of name is reflective of a belief ( self-serving or not) that he was the victim of a vindictive bureaucracy and that the state has no right in interfering in his business.

how do you see the list of books?

+1000

Per Sqeggs post above

When you open the link, click on "View photo gallery" near the top

Some really scarce and valuable books in that gallery, I think any doubts about the auctioneer won't keep bidders away.

+1000

Per Sqeggs post above

that's not the list of books...just photos...how do you see a list that you can bid on (shrug)

+1000

Per Sqeggs post above

that's not the list of books...just photos...how do you see a list that you can bid on (shrug)

Good point. I don't see how you can get a list of books either.

Interesting and diverse group of books.

They will need to be looked at closely though, as I see that several of them are restored.

(thumbs u Very closely! This is no random accumulation of the kind one might find unbagged at an estate sale, but the collection of someone who knows full well the scarcity and value of these books. The kind of person who likely understands that unrestored, most would achieve maximum value if slabbed and sold through another venue. I would suspect that nearly every single book has either restoration, something missing or flaws not evident in the pictures.

They will need to be looked at closely though, as I see that several of them are restored.

(thumbs u Very closely! This is no random accumulation of the kind one might find unbagged at an estate sale, but the collection of someone who knows full well the scarcity and value of these books. The kind of person who likely understands that unrestored, most would achieve maximum value if slabbed and sold through another venue. I would suspect that every single book has either restoration, something missing or flaws not evident in the pictures.

I agree. Not being in a position to examine the books, I'll be staying away from this auction.

(thumbs u Very closely! This is no random accumulation of the kind one might find unbagged at an estate sale, but the collection of someone who knows full well the scarcity and value of these books. The kind of person who likely understands that unrestored, most would achieve maximum value if slabbed and sold through another venue. I would suspect that every single book has either restoration, something missing or flaws not evident in the pictures.

Certainly, caution is in order. But do we know whether this might be the family of the (deceased?) collector who made the consignment without being familiar with the usual venues for auctioning comics?