• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 for investment?
3 3

792 posts in this topic

I fixed it. Now, can you support your statement to this debate as to rebut Mark1's claim?

Yes.

Or do you just want to disagree with him? Because we all haven't heard your opinion/facts in this case.

Not how debate works.

:)

Yes?? That's your come back? :facepalm: Where's your input? We all got your knowledge of bullying, but yet you can't provide any input and still you continue to post in this gsxm1 investment thread.

any more discussions about investment books are we still ranting about bullying? zzz

:popcorn:

Why are you posting popcorn? There's still a few of us who are awaiting your input and rebuttal to Mark1's post. Why are you beating around a bush. And don't say that's not how debate works. You replied to Mark1's post with simple short answers, with no input of your own. That's not how a debate works.

I fixed it. Now, can you support your statement to this debate as to rebut Mark1's claim?

Yes.

Or do you just want to disagree with him? Because we all haven't heard your opinion/facts in this case.

Not how debate works.

Yes?? That's your come back? :facepalm: Where's your input? We all got your knowledge of bullying, but yet you can't provide any input and still you continue to post in this gsxm1 investment thread.

any more discussions about investment books are we still ranting about bullying? zzz

Why are you posting popcorn? There's still a few of us who are awaiting your input and rebuttal to Mark1's post. Why are you beating around a bush. And don't say that's not how debate works. You replied to Mark1's post with simple short answers, with no input of your own. That's not how a debate works.

That's because RMA doesn't have a rebuttal. Keys that I mentioned have been climbing (sometimes very slowly) over the past decades. Outside of the nose bleed grades (9.8-9.4) these books are steady climbers and are blue chips.

I don't think GSXM 1 is a blue chip book.

JIM 83

TOS 39

AF 15

Hulk 1

These are blue chip keys that you can make money on if you hold it for a period of time. If RMA says that's not the case he will be wrong. I will back up this statement with data as I have in my previous posts.

Yes.

Not how debate works.

That's because RMA doesn't have a rebuttal. Keys that I mentioned have been climbing (sometimes very slowly) over the past decades. Outside of the nose bleed grades (9.8-9.4) these books are steady climbers and are blue chips.

I don't think GSXM 1 is a blue chip book.

JIM 83

TOS 39

AF 15

Hulk 1

These are blue chip keys that you can make money on if you hold it for a period of time. If RMA says that's not the case he will be wrong. I will back up this statement with data as I have in my previous posts.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Outside of the $.35 variants & Hulk 181, GSX 1 is as blue chip a book that exists in Marvel's Bronze Age lineup. And you would honestly shell out 25 dimes for a 6.0 Hulk 1 right now? That's double what they sold for 7-8 months ago :o The data will most likely back up your argument, but past performance is not indicative of future results.

Ok you're right my B. SA and BA keys only in this thread. But damn I do wonder if GA keys would ever decrease in value. I mean damn who the hell cares about Batman and Superman right? lol

And a spiderman af15? That book will definitely decrease in value, I think everyone who thinks that it will and has a copy should just sell it before it does. lol

Past performance is quite often the best predictor of future actions. Criminal behaviour, Gravity-you name it.

I admire the confidence, but at $25k I'm in search of greener pastures and cooler waters.

Out of curiousity, what is your deterant - the slowing growth curve or upfront required investment?

You deal in books so you clearly have an investment model. What makes AF 15 better or worse than a Hulk 1 or BB 28 (or pick another book if you like)?

Is it a profit margin or profit dollars thing? Books like Avengers 1 and JIM 83 are fairly cheap versus their counterparts and have plenty of room to climb - are they good choices?

Interested in a more detailed perspective.

I admire the confidence, but at $25k I'm in search of greener pastures and cooler waters.

Out of curiousity, what is your deterant - the slowing growth curve or upfront required investment?

You deal in books so you clearly have an investment model. What makes AF 15 better or worse than a Hulk 1 or BB 28 (or pick another book if you like)?

Is it a profit margin or profit dollars thing? Books like Avengers 1 and JIM 83 are fairly cheap versus their counterparts and have plenty of room to climb - are they good choices?

Hamlet made a good point earlier when he stated stocks can be measured by earnings in terms of value. I'm of the belief that the value of comics can be measured using a combination of price, demand and scarcity.

For example, there are roughly 750 Universal Hulk 1's on the census and around 70 Captain America Comics #1's. Assuming demand is roughly equal for both books one could expect the CAC 1 to be 10 X more valuable than the Hulk 1, but this is not the case. It's around 4 X more valuable in mid grade so something has to give. Either the Hulk 1 is too expensive or the CAC 1 is too cheap. I would also imagine the odds of finding a Hulk 1 in the wild are significantly greater than that of a Cap 1.

Having said all that I'm not that big of a baller to dive into either book at the $20k-$100k range. My sweet spot is $200-$1500. I don't have the capital to pile that much dough into 1 book. My wife would beat me within an inch of my life. Theoretically, I do believe the model I used in the previous paragraph is sensible though.

Hamlet made a good point earlier when he stated stocks can be measured by earnings in terms of value. I'm of the belief that the value of comics can be measured using a combination of price, demand and scarcity.

For example, there are roughly 750 Universal Hulk 1's on the census and around 70 Captain America Comics #1's. Assuming demand is roughly equal for both books one could expect the CAC 1 to be 10 X more valuable than the Hulk 1, but this is not the case. It's around 4 X more valuable in mid grade so something has to give. Either the Hulk 1 is too expensive or the CAC 1 is too cheap. I would also imagine the odds of finding a Hulk 1 in the wild are significantly greater than that of a Cap 1.

Having said all that I'm not that big of a baller to dive into either book at the $20k-$100k range. My sweet spot is $200-$1500. I don't have the capital to pile that much dough into 1 book. My wife would beat me within an inch of my life. Theoretically, I do believe the model I used in the previous paragraph is sensible though.

(thumbs u

Thanks for the perspective! The model makes sense to me and is similar to how I have been evolving my thought process.

I wonder if the majority collecting base changes the model. For instance: there is usually a difference between silver collectors and gold collectors - does that make the correlation less relevant without factoring in differences in nostalgia driven purchase behavior and disposable income? Not trying to complicate it further, but I liked the comparison and it spurred some thoughts.

Not for nothing but I do believe a cap 1 in mid grade is probably closer to 7X hulk 1 right now in same grade. Maybe even more.

Great post by the way. (thumbs u

-J.

Yes.

Not how debate works.

Yes??

Yes.

That's your come back?

No, that's my response. "Come backs" are usually reserved for games of the dozens, which is most fun to play late at night in your college dorm room.

:facepalm: Where's your input? We all got your knowledge of bullying, but yet you can't provide any input and still you continue to post in this gsxm1 investment thread.

I wasn't aware there was a limitation on where or when members could post...?

hm

I've already provided the input necessary. It's up to others at this point. There's a difference between "can't" and "choose not to."

Why are you posting popcorn?

Because I felt it was an appropriate response to that post.

There's still a few of us who are awaiting your input and rebuttal to Mark1's post.

The onus is on the claimant to prove their claim(s), not the challenger.

Why are you beating around a bush. And don't say that's not how debate works. You replied to Mark1's post with simple short answers, with no input of your own. That's not how a debate works.

I'll explain again: when someone makes a claim, and that claim is challenged, the onus is on the claimant to prove said claim...not on the challenger to DISprove it.

It isn't my responsibility to disprove Mark1's claim, and because I choose not to spend my time and effort to disprove it does not therefore prove it. That would be a bad conclusion.

:D