• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 for investment?
3 3

792 posts in this topic

Unfortunately not everyone is fortunate enough to work for a company that offers matching 401 k benefits, stock options, etc. And if someone is willing to put $500, $1000 into one comic book, he would be foolish to not treat it at least as a quasi-investment. That's a lot of money to most people.

I would pick the IH 181 as well from an "investment" standpoint, but it's definitely not by a landslide. Let's not overlook or minimize the importance of GSXM 1. It was, after all, not just the first appearance of storm, nightcrawler, etc, but also of the classic x men team that brought the title back from the dead. It's also wolverine's first appearance as an "x-man" (and 2nd full overall). This book is cheaper than 181 and is far less common on the census. It wouldn't take much for this book to spike, perhaps not to 181 numbers, but it could conceivably close the gap. The 181 is probably a safer bet but with it's lower entry point the GSXM 1 probably has more upside.

lol Okay I just changed my mind, the GSXM 1 might actually be the better pick after all.

-J.

I love this statement, and I think it's a point that the naysayers are completely missing. Key issues are investments, because people put a lot of money into these books, and in the long run, there can be return. Many comics have proven this to be true for decades. Sure, there might be better/safer investments than key issue comics, but that doesn't rule out the fact that books like AF 15 are much more of an investment than a hobby. You just need to be wise with which comics you choose to invest in.

Hulk 181 is not a movie hype book. Wolverine is Marvel's second most popular character and has been for some time.

Regarding the drastic decrease in 9.8 copies - when they were selling north of 20K this was because there were so few 9.8's, as soon as more came on the market there was a swift downward adjustment in price. That being said the mid-high grade copies (8.0 - 9.2) have been increasing year over year and the lower grade copies (3.0 - 6.0) are also ballooning.

That being said - buy what you like. Both GSXM 1 and Hulk 181 are incredible books IMO, but I am also a big X-Men fan so take that with a grain of salt ;)

I'm sorry I am not seeing it. Looking at comic trend.com the only big money for 181 has been with 9.8 and over the past ten years you saw a peak in 09 and then a precipitous fall since to well below 03 levels.

Yeah you can argue that 8,8.5 and 9 are doing ok but for what you have to pay for a raw book it's not worth it. I am looking at eBay right now and there is a raw 8 ending in 15 hours already over $1000 and climbing. That is just eating into your profit margins.

The philosophy of investing in big key issues for the ordinary joe collector is plain stupid. Sorry guys. They are already too expensive to get a decent copy and in the case of 181 it will never gain the value you need to offset the purchase price. I don't care if you wait a 100 years to sell. The book is over rated and that is already reflected in price fluctuations that are scary at best. Real keys which hardly any of us can afford don't fluctuate like that.

That's why buying small and smart like I said in an earlier post is the best way. Plus it's more fun.

Cheers, Howard

PS let the cat calling begin.

I agree on comics are just a hobby. For me anyway.

But the OP asked a question, and I answered with my opinion, as he does not.

Plus it's awesome to be able to go look at a personal Grail, hold it, and know it is YOURS.

No one else's. Yours. And it's the first full appearance of the little runt with claws that come out of his forearms. Good. Times.

Comics. Yeah!

:whee:

I would invest that 800 in Gold/Silver.

+1,000,000

Collecting comic books is just a hobby - it's no more than that IMO. Unless of course you're buying your "key" books for a penny on a dollar.

Invest on Gold for sure! Talk to a financial advisor and see what he/she has to say.

Gold dropped from $1900 an oz. to $1200 an oz. :gossip:

+1,000,000

Collecting comic books is just a hobby - it's no more than that IMO. Unless of course you're buying your "key" books for a penny on a dollar.

Invest on Gold for sure! Talk to a financial advisor and see what he/she has to say.

:o

Nobody better tell the big comic dealers collecting comics is just a hobby and a lousy investment.

Good point.

That's a different story all together though.

I'm sure they don't buy books to hold onto long term. They buy and flip for profit as fast as they can, I would imagine (I have no idea. Just guessing...)

Maybe I'm missing something. All the main books have been steadily increasing in value. They have never dropped in value except maybe certain high grade outliers. Yet people say comics are no kind of investment.

If 5 years ago you bought

AF15

ASM1

FF1

Hulk1

Avengers1

I guarantee today they are worth more.

Where's all this very very very very very very very very risky comics as investments?

+1,000,000

:o

lol. I bought mine in 2008 - still in the "W" column. I'm not touching that until I retire. The OP should definitely consider buying now, while gold is lower historically.

Unfortunately not everyone is fortunate enough to work for a company that offers matching 401 k benefits, stock options, etc. And if someone is willing to put $500, $1000 into one comic book, he would be foolish to not treat it at least as a quasi-investment. That's a lot of money to most people.

I would pick the IH 181 as well from an "investment" standpoint, but it's definitely not by a landslide. Let's not overlook or minimize the importance of GSXM 1. It was, after all, not just the first appearance of storm, nightcrawler, etc, but also of the classic x men team that brought the title back from the dead. It's also wolverine's first appearance as an "x-man" (and 2nd full overall). This book is cheaper than 181 and is far less common on the census. It wouldn't take much for this book to spike, perhaps not to 181 numbers, but it could conceivably close the gap. The 181 is probably a safer bet but with it's lower entry point the GSXM 1 probably has more upside.

lol Okay I just changed my mind, the GSXM 1 might actually be the better pick after all.

-J.

I love this statement, and I think it's a point that the naysayers are completely missing. Key issues are investments, because people put a lot of money into these books, and in the long run, there can be return. Many comics have proven this to be true for decades. Sure, there might be better/safer investments than key issue comics, but that doesn't rule out the fact that books like AF 15 are much more of an investment than a hobby. You just need to be wise with which comics you choose to invest in.

High yield stocks are risky... I've maxed out my 401k, I'm actively managing my stocks through a broker, I love comics, but I see them as a hobby/investment. I try to be smart with what will yield long term vs what is a flip. I usually only buy silver and some gold... But if I have a good tip, I'll flip something more modern. You know, like an educated investment opportunity. I just can't see the thousands of dollars tied into my keys and not be proud of them... Or that they will over time grow in value...

Maybe I'm missing something. All the main books have been steadily increasing in value. They have never dropped in value except maybe certain high grade outliers. Yet people say comics are no kind of investment.

If 5 years ago you bought

AF15

ASM1

FF1

Hulk1

Avengers1

I guarantee today they are worth more.

Where's all this very very very very very very very very risky comics as investments?

I agree.

The issues probably start when they stray from these kind of books.

I mean if you speculate on something that is maybe a flash in the pan I can see the skepticism but if say you invest in just buying copies of AF15 you have no risk. Unless like maybe a fire or something. I've bought stocks that went bankrupt and I was left with zip-no fun.