• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant Size X-Men #1 for investment?
3 3

792 posts in this topic

The answer to "what comics to invest in?" the answer is: none.

If you want to invest, find a nice matching retirement account, and put your money there. Or land.

Those of you who think you should "invest in comics" probably weren't active from 1990-2002. Yes, I know some of you were, but if you were, you weren't paying attention.

The current market for comics is like nothing that has ever been in comics, and cannot last. If you buy what you like, because you like it, and if it rises in price, bonus, then you'll be fine.

Otherwise...look out below!

Can you be more specific? The 90s was horrible from a modern perspective where all these moderns were climbing in price then boom the bottom dropped

But, Silver Age keys have always climbed in price. Go look at a 1980 price guide and see what Hulk 1 was valued at....see what it is today. See what it was in 1990. It has always climbed.

Same with TOS 39, JIM 83, AF15, ASM 1....I have not seen a decline in the demand or value of these books. Some years have stayed more steady than others and some have had huge spikes (like AF15 some years ago and Hulk 1 this past year).

Hulk 181 and GSXM to me will continue to rise and stay in demand.

NM 98...maybe not. Variant of the week....not at all.

Well said Mark. Yes please be more specific. No one wants to answer this? Show us please, where the risk is? Please prove to us your statement is fact? Where does it show that Major Key books have gone down significantly? I have been collecting for about 3 years and all the info I have ever found, shows only an incline.

Maybe I'm missing something. All the main books have been steadily increasing in value. They have never dropped in value except maybe certain high grade outliers. Yet people say comics are no kind of investment.

If 5 years ago you bought

AF15

ASM1

FF1

Hulk1

Avengers1

I guarantee today they are worth more.

Where's all this very very very very very very very very risky comics as investments?

Yes Kav exactly. Please someone prove to us where all the very very very very very high risk is coming from. Betcha can't show that. ;)

I would invest that 800 in Gold/Silver.

+1,000,000

Collecting comic books is just a hobby - it's no more than that IMO. Unless of course you're buying your "key" books for a penny on a dollar.

Invest on Gold for sure! Talk to a financial advisor and see what he/she has to say.

Gold dropped from $1900 an oz. to $1200 an oz. :gossip:

:o

lol. I bought mine in 2008 - still in the "W" column. I'm not touching that until I retire. The OP should definitely consider buying now, while gold is lower historically.

Let me ask you this. How many years do you think it will take for gold to reach back up to $1900 an oz. again?

This chart alone is enough to scare me away from buying gold again. Talk about a bubble!

Screen_Shot_2015_02_22_at_8_40_21_AM.png

Unfortunately not everyone is fortunate enough to work for a company that offers matching 401 k benefits, stock options, etc. And if someone is willing to put $500, $1000 into one comic book, he would be foolish to not treat it at least as a quasi-investment. That's a lot of money to most people.

I would pick the IH 181 as well from an "investment" standpoint, but it's definitely not by a landslide. Let's not overlook or minimize the importance of GSXM 1. It was, after all, not just the first appearance of storm, nightcrawler, etc, but also of the classic x men team that brought the title back from the dead. It's also wolverine's first appearance as an "x-man" (and 2nd full overall). This book is cheaper than 181 and is far less common on the census. It wouldn't take much for this book to spike, perhaps not to 181 numbers, but it could conceivably close the gap. The 181 is probably a safer bet but with it's lower entry point the GSXM 1 probably has more upside.

lol Okay I just changed my mind, the GSXM 1 might actually be the better pick after all.

-J.

I love this statement, and I think it's a point that the naysayers are completely missing. Key issues are investments, because people put a lot of money into these books, and in the long run, there can be return. Many comics have proven this to be true for decades. Sure, there might be better/safer investments than key issue comics, but that doesn't rule out the fact that books like AF 15 are much more of an investment than a hobby. You just need to be wise with which comics you choose to invest in.

What these two said (thumbs u

The future is marijuana. Invest heavily.

This may be a joke, but I actually looked into investing here a few years ago - actually as an alternative investment source for my mother-in-law. If only they could iron out the little discrepancy between the fed and local law, (e.g.: in Colorado where companies have to hold onto copious amounts of cash because federal banks can't take money from what is paramount to a federally illegal business), it would be a great time to get in... The alternative is to invest in either companies who have made a name with medicinal marijuana or companies that supply things like the hydroponics to the emerging market. I've not done it, but I'm telling you there is money to be made here. A ton of cash when the tide changes. I'm still watching as a viable option...

Re Colorado - they gave back $600M in tax dollars last year because the state couldn't do anything with it... Tell me more states aren't going to find a way to make this an opportunity.

This may be a joke, but I actually looked into investing here a few years ago - actually as an alternative investment source for my mother-in-law. If only they could iron out the little discrepancy between the fed and local law, (e.g.: in Colorado where companies have to hold onto copious amounts of cash because federal banks can't take money from what is paramount to a federally illegal business), it would be a great time to get in... The alternative is to invest in either companies who have made a name with medicinal marijuana or companies that supply things like the hydroponics to the emerging market. I've not done it, but I'm telling you there is money to be made here. A ton of cash when the tide changes. I'm still watching as a viable option...

Was thinking the same thing myself. Mostly in the supply & equipment side.

They were saying the exact same thing about real estate in 2006.

There is a tendency for people to assume that past behavior predicts future results in investing, and it is an incredibly dangerous tendency. It leads to people piling into investments just because they have gone up in the recent past, which is one of the most dangerous ways to invest.

When people think that they can't lose, they are almost always making a very dangerous investment without knowing it.

Maybe I'm missing something. All the main books have been steadily increasing in value. They have never dropped in value except maybe certain high grade outliers. Yet people say comics are no kind of investment.

If 5 years ago you bought

AF15

ASM1

FF1

Hulk1

Avengers1

I guarantee today they are worth more.

Where's all this very very very very very very very very risky comics as investments?

There's been multiple real estate crashes in US history...

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-economic-crash-repeated-every-generation-1800-2012-1?op=1

It's not like it was always a rock solid investment up until the last crash. If you were to compare real estate crashes to key issue crashes you would see that the differences are nearly polar opposite.

There is a tendency for people to assume that past behavior predicts future results in investing, and it is an incredibly dangerous tendency.

It's only dangerous If you use the past as an absolute, and aren't prepared for the worse, which is something a lot of real estate investors weren't prepared for. A lot of those people weren't even prepared to buy real estate in the first place, let alone prepared for the worse. Using the past to predict future outcomes can be a great tool when utilized correctly, though it can be dangerous when the full spectrum isn't taken into account. I think people took the real estate market value for granted, and If they had taken a closer look at how real estate has played out in previous times, they may have been a bit more hesitant to invest their money into it. I think ignoring past behavior can be an even more dangerous move than trying to incorporate it to your advantage.

Comics can be relatively inexpensive (especially compared to real estate). If someone was to invest $800 in Hulk 181, and the book crashed, then so what? You may have lost $800, but you certainly won't need to file bankruptcy (unlike the real estate crash). On the flip side, If someone was to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars into the same book, then yeah, it's risky, because If that book crashes, you now have to face a major loss. The solution here is to not put all your eggs in one basket. Regardless, there's always two sides to a coin.

I'm not saying it's impossible for there to be an AF 15 crash, or a Hulk 181 crash, but I am saying that investing in comics doesn't have to be as risky or dangerous as some people here are making it out to be. 2c

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-economic-crash-repeated-every-generation-1800-2012-1?op=1

It's not like it was always a rock solid investment up until the last crash. If you were to compare real estate crashes to key issue crashes you would see that the differences are nearly polar opposite.

There is a tendency for people to assume that past behavior predicts future results in investing, and it is an incredibly dangerous tendency.

It's only dangerous If you use the past as an absolute, and aren't prepared for the worse, which is something a lot of real estate investors weren't prepared for. A lot of those people weren't even prepared to buy real estate in the first place, let alone prepared for the worse. Using the past to predict future outcomes can be a great tool when utilized correctly, though it can be dangerous when the full spectrum isn't taken into account. I think people took the real estate market value for granted, and If they had taken a closer look at how real estate has played out in previous times, they may have been a bit more hesitant to invest their money into it. I think ignoring the past is an even more dangerous move than trying to incorporate it to your advantage.

Comics can be relatively inexpensive (especially compared to real estate). If someone was to invest $800 in Hulk 181, and the book crashed, then so what? You may have lost $800, but you certainly won't need to file bankruptcy (unlike the real estate crash). On the flip side, If someone was to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars into the same book, then yeah, it's risky, because If that book crashes, you now have to face a major loss. The solution here is to not put all your eggs in one basket. Regardless, there's always two sides to a coin.

I'm not saying it's impossible for there to be an AF 15 crash, or a Hulk 181 crash, but I am saying that investing in comics doesn't have to be as risky or dangerous as some people here are making it out to be. 2c

Great post. (thumbs u

And this same line of reasoning could be (should be) applied to "any" investment.

I think many of the nay-sayers just think the notion of comic books as an "investment" is silly. And it is, if that's all you are putting your money into.

But as with stamps, coins, antiques, fine art, classic cars, watches, wines, etc., comic books are indeed a fun and diversified place to put your money. Sure, it's important to have your stocks, and bonds, and blah, blah, blah too, we all know that. But something like a Cap or Action 1, or Tec 27 on down to this recent "Spider-Gwen" cr@p can be treated as "investments" in their own rights (to varying degrees of course). Though an Action 1 would be the bluest of the blue chips, and "Spider-Gwen" would be the penniest of day-traded pink sheet penny stocks.

My 2 "Spider-Gwen's".

-J.

Hulk #181 over GSX #1 and X-Men #94 any day, every day.

Those three (other than a Marvel Comics #1) were the holy trinity for me growing up. Hulk #181 consistently over the past 20 years has grown at a faster, steadier rate than GSX #1 or X-94, and I don't see that not being the case anytime soon.

Jim

I agree with Jim and support the notion that all X-Men # 94s are worthless and should be sold immediately to me at a maximum of 1/3 GPA :D

xxx ooo

Rupp

IMG_20141123_182214_549_zps7acd2d01.jpg

See, that's not even fair.

I hope to have that many ASM 300's.

Re Colorado - they gave back $600M in tax dollars last year because the state couldn't do anything with it... Tell me more states aren't going to find a way to make this an opportunity.

I'd ride along with ya'...

It's only dangerous If you use the past as an absolute, and aren't prepared for the worse, which is something a lot of real estate investors weren't prepared for. A lot of those people weren't even prepared to buy real estate in the first place, let alone prepared for the worse. Using the past to predict future outcomes can be a great tool when utilized correctly, though it can be dangerous when the full spectrum isn't taken into account. I think people took the real estate market value for granted, and If they had taken a closer look at how real estate has played out in previous times, they may have been a bit more hesitant to invest their money into it. I think ignoring the past is an even more dangerous move than trying to incorporate it to your advantage.

Great post. (thumbs u

And this same line of reasoning could be (should be) applied to "any" investment.

I think many of the nay-sayers just think the notion of comic books as an "investment" is silly. And it is, if that's all you are putting your money into.

But as with stamps, coins, antiques, fine art, classic cars, watches, wines, etc., comic books are indeed a fun and diversified place to put your money. Sure, it's important to have your stocks, and bonds, and blah, blah, blah too, we all know that. But something like a Cap or Action 1, or Tec 27 on down to this recent "Spider-Gwen" cr@p can be treated as "investments" in their own rights (to varying degrees of course). Though an Action 1 would be the bluest of the blue chips, and "Spider-Gwen" would be the penniest of day-traded pink sheet penny stocks.

My 2 "Spider-Gwen's".

-J.

Poetic and true... It's all a Risk. Some investments are more even keel, some are more risky. I invest in real estate, 401k, sugested stocks, even in an aggressive growth fund (risk all across the board there) and it's boring as hell to me. At least this way I get to enjoy the ride. (that's what it's about anyway, right?)