• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Covers that were never used!

97 posts in this topic

silversurfer5unpcove.jpg

Silver_Surfer_Vol_1_5.jpg

Wow -- I love that cover they didn't use on this issue. This one and the ASM #194 are two I think they definitely should have gone the other way with.

As was already said, I'd love to hear the reasons why some of these were rejected. The only one shown so far that I think I know the reason why is the cover for X-Men #56 (whoever had the final call didn't want the title logo blocked by the characters).

As was already said, I'd love to hear the reasons why some of these were rejected. The only one shown so far that I think I know the reason why is the cover for X-Men #56 (whoever had the final call didn't want the title logo blocked by the characters).

Lots of good stuff in Tomorrow Publishing, Alter Ego, etc..

Have a look here:

http://nick-caputo.blogspot.com/search?q=rejected+covers

re.. Tower of Shadows 1 Steranko rejected

""At the Stroke of Midnight", writer-artist Jim Steranko's lead story in the premiere issue (Sept. 1969), won a 1969 Alley Award for Best Feature Story. Its creation had led to a rift between the celebrated Steranko and editor Lee that caused Steranko to stop freelancing for Marvel, the publisher that had showcased his highly influential work. Lee had rejected Steranko's cover (see at left), and the two clashed over panel design, dialog, and the story title, initially "The Lurking Fear at Shadow House". According to Steranko at a 2006 panel[3] and elsewhere, Lee disliked or did not understand the homage to horror author H. P. Lovecraft, and devised his own title for the story. After much conflict, Steranko either quit or was fired. Lee phoned him about a month later, after the two had cooled down,[3] and Steranko would return to produce several covers for Marvel from 1972-73."

Unused cover for Amazing Spider-Man #194.

N3MydD.jpg

PA31OJ.jpg

I really like that unused cover for 194. It's much more dynamic and actually keeps her face obscured a bit. I've never seen that one before. :headbang:

Pollard/McLoed wins every time over Milgrom. I wonder why it was rejected?

Because setting aside the stylistic merits of the Pollard cover, the Milgrom is better composed in terms of both introducing The Black Cat, and in showing her as stealthy enough to literally pounce on Spidey before his spidey sense can help him.

I like the Kirby cover, but that Colan cover for DD 43 would have been a classic battle cover. I love the touch of having DD yank away Cap's shield as he delivers the punch.

I guess Stan preferred to have the "hero battle" covers showing the protagonists more evenly matched, as the only reason I can see for rejecting the Colan cover was that Cap is clearly getting his clock cleaned.