• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Covers that were never used!

97 posts in this topic

CM%2B29%2Bb.jpg

2840967-captainmarvel029.jpg

Starlin must have been thrilled when the face on Marvel was redrawn.

Marvel's head was too small on the OA. I never even noticed that wasn't his style on the published cover.

Pollard/McLoed wins every time over Milgrom. I wonder why it was rejected?

Because setting aside the stylistic merits of the Pollard cover, the Milgrom is better composed in terms of both introducing The Black Cat, and in showing her as stealthy enough to literally pounce on Spidey before his spidey sense can help him.

I've always preferred the Pollard one.

The letters column in 194 shows the cover for the planned first appearance in SpiderWoman 9 and also shows the Pollard version, along with an account of the reasons for rejection.

1333849-194.jpg

even though I like the composition of the one rejected I can understand why it they went with the other one.

That full frontal look is iconic and almost pays homage to the great origin comic icon 1st's... (AF 15, Action 1, Tec 27) and the minimal style almost seals that homage.

Amazing Spider-Man 262 was pen and ink cover first, just in case the photocover by Eliot R. Brown didn't work: http://romitaman.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=18997&ArtistId=1115

Also, ASM 220 featuring Moon Knight had an initial, unused version that wasn't as dramatic as the published cover

even though I like the composition of the one rejected I can understand why it they went with the other one.

That full frontal look is iconic and almost pays homage to the great origin comic icon 1st's... (AF 15, Action 1, Tec 27) and the minimal style almost seals that homage.

Good point. I like ASM 194, but the rejected cover now makes me wish there was more time spent on the real cover.

Amazing Spider-Man 262 was pen and ink cover first, just in case the photocover by Eliot R. Brown didn't work: http://romitaman.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=18997&ArtistId=1115

Also, ASM 220 featuring Moon Knight had an initial, unused version that wasn't as dramatic as the published cover

Yea I believe the unused cover sold on clink a few months, with the unused cover for #221 selling on CC at the same time.